Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom line, most North supporters want to see a fit and firing Jack Ziebell lining up for R1. After that it’s entirely up to Jack and how he performs. There’s a raft of young’uns ready to step in if he doesn’t put his best foot forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's the thing though - the only position JZ can play these days is the mid sized forward and we have so many potentially good young players to play that role (and have increased this type of player on our list during the off season).

JZ will be 30 when the season starts - yes, if he gets through pre season fully fit and firing then he will line up round 1 - but as you say after that it can only be performance based selection for him.

Noble doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who will carry older players (and thereby reduce a younger players development) for sentimental reasons.

Noble doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who will carry older players (and thereby reduce a younger players development) for sentimental reasons.

He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke whose entire football repertoire consists of "play the kids" either.

He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke whose entire football repertoire consists of "play the kids" either.
I'm not fussed if we don't play the kids, as long as we pick a balanced 22, who individually are in good form. If there is someone who can make a more significant contribution to team success than Jack, then that person should be picked ahead of Jack.

I'm not fussed if we don't play the kids, as long as we pick a balanced 22, who individually are in good form. If there is someone who can make a more significant contribution to team success than Jack, then that person should be picked ahead of Jack.
what the hell is this balanced and reasonable view on bf.

Melbourne, Carlton and even GC to some extent have shown that if you put too many kids on the park you’re essentially throwing them to the wolves and that has a detrimental impact on their development.

Ziebs is a big body and a strong leader. He will support the development and growth of these young guys on the field. He may even sneak into the team that challenges in a few years.

Sorry LuvtheKangas you can write whatever you like on stats etc. (I maintain Polec hugely overrated btw)

We all want Jack to produce but votes or not I haven't like his game for a while now.

He is horribly slow for his size and cost us game after game with his shithouse goalkicking.

That's not leader worthy.

He has this year then but if no improvement he must be replaced.

Can't have a player that rarely turns up and when does so fails to deliver.

Maybe people , certainly me, just don’t like people shitcanning our players. Especially our captain.

An opinion is one thing but statements that suggest anything more than a personal opinion are tripe.

Maybe people , certainly me, just don’t like people shitcanning our players. Especially our captain.

An opinion is one thing but statements that suggest anything more than a personal opinion are tripe.

I didn't so settle down.

Why single out Jack? It applies to the entire list.

I agree and said as much, if you read it again I said he and Selwood were very good after having quieter years previously.
Apologies... I misread your post.
Big year for Jack after an injury affected season in 2020.
There is definitely a spot for him in our forward line with Brown gone. He needs to protect Larkey & smash packs for our crumbers.
He needs to vastly improve on his goalkicking though... he has the major yips on easy set shots.
If he can fix this up (which I think he can) & stay fit, he will be good for 30+ goals this year.
Last year as captain, before passing on to Simpkin (or McDonald, if Jy is deemed too young)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time for Jack to deliver.

Had enough of the excuses.

Worst Captain for a very long time.

Swallow delivered on field.

Simpson a great people's man.

Carey obviously.

Please say how I'm wrong on Jack's "leadership" and our results since Captain where I'm wrong Mr Fact.

We've been shithouse since he's been Captain.

Swallow delivered on field.

Simpson a great people's man.

Carey obviously.

Please say how I'm wrong on Jack's "leadership" and our results since Captain where I'm wrong Mr Fact.

We've been shithouse since he's been Captain.

I remember hearing a interview where he kinda hinted he would like someone else to take over the captaincy

Don’t get me wrong I feel like the players love him, but he doesn’t seem like he wants the extra pressure

Some players just want to lead the way. Zeebs was there at the right time but atm he doesn’t really want it

In saying this, if his body stays good, he can definitely go back to his form back in 2018/2017

In saying this, if his body stays good, he can definitely go back to his form back in 2018/2017

no
No
No

he can’t
We supporters are completely delusional if we think he can
He is 30 years old
He has been smashed from pillar to post, self inflicted, brave
But it wears you out, as the bloke from Radiohead says

if he can play just alright that would be a bonus

Melbourne, Carlton and even GC to some extent have shown that if you put too many kids on the park you’re essentially throwing them to the wolves and that has a detrimental impact on their development.

Ziebs is a big body and a strong leader. He will support the development and growth of these young guys on the field. He may even sneak into the team that challenges in a few years.

Many of the critics don't factor that he takes on a lot of thankless team roles.

He needs to focus on his game.

Nothing more and he can lead without having that extra responsibility.

I actually think it's unfair on him in some ways.

JZ is a forward who has the yips
This is what happened to Petrie

If he can’t sort his goal kicking out he is cactus
Same argument for others , BB choked big time Wood, Turner totally unreliable

???

Turner has a 65.4% goal to behind ratio.

Wayne Carey's was 63.1%

You need to check your biases Reg.

I think Turner is annoying because he gets the ball in kickable distance and then has previously lacked the confidence to go for his shots, instead trying to pass it off and making a mess of it.

Also, not sure I would be comparing Turner to Carey... in any statistic, not exactly a fair or equitable comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back