Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

boyd Murdered our forwards, like, he absolutely humiliated them
He did this because he had fantastic balance , was quick off the mark and had great recovery

My footy strategy is pretty limited but I am still very much of the belief that jack and Ben 10 should alternate as the big body clearance mid/full forward. In both those positions they will be surrounded by a bunch of talented kids that should be coached to capitalise on Ben and Jack’s strengths.

This kind of feels like hes been set up to fail.
It will fail if JZ is not up to the task - and the odds of JZ playing a permanent half back role by round 18 and making a good fist of it is well less than 50% - closer to 10%.

But for now it's about positional flexibility across all lines and ensuring the captain is seen to be getting a new lease on playing life.

In reality Jy is probably a year away from assuming the captaincy and there is just more stability in the leadership group if JZ can see it though to then.

This gives Jack every reason to focus on doing his part in the 22 as best he can because now there's more pressure on those decisions he makes. Commanding his teammates and providing direction is gonna be crucial.

He has to work harder than ever before now to get this right. Get behind him lads.

My footy strategy is pretty limited but I am still very much of the belief that jack and Ben 10 should alternate as the big body clearance mid/full forward. In both those positions they will be surrounded by a bunch of talented kids that should be coached to capitalise on Ben and Jack’s strengths.

I thought this is what was happening too but the new Coach has a plan!!

it’s fresh and new and worth a try!!

He has failed to cement his spot as a midfielder or forward, he is being set up for his last opportunity to remain in the best 22.
Seems similar to Swallow playing on a wing in his twilight.

I get there is a lot of concern around his pace(or lack there of), but my biggest success criteria for this is if he can use the footy well.

There are mixed views on this board about his ball use, however if he can get that right, it will work IMO.

I can only go by the photos I’ve seen, thus far, of Jack this season. To my eye, he looks like a sleeker, trimmed-down version of his former self. My hope would be that he’ll be a bit less muscle bound than in the past. The upshot being that he’ll be more mobil - which is what he needs to be if/when he moves into a rebounding half back role. Time will tell, I suppose. I’m liking the cut of his jib, I have to say.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My last thought on JZ to hb -
I don’t think it’s because of Jack‘s defensive capabilities, exquisite foot skills or uncanny intercept marking ability.
My guess is noble must want someone out there to enforce the defensive set-ups not only for the backline players but for the midfielders too. JZ is probably our only leader who could pull that off at this point. And half back is the logical spot to do it from.

I still think it puts the back 6 out of kilter though.

Ziebell sent back to help Roos go forward
Herald Sun - Thursday, 28 Jan 2021 - Page 73

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

NORTH Melbourne veteran Jack Ziebell says the club’s experienced defenders are helping him adjust to a new role at half-back this year.

New Kangaroos coach David Noble floated the idea of a positional change to Ziebell before Christmas and the inside midfielder was open to a switch.

Ziebell played across halfback sparingly as a junior, then in a few games during his debut AFL season and again a couple of years ago.

The 29-year-old said he was still learning the ropes down back.

“I’ve got some really experienced defenders — Robbie Tarrant, Josh Walker, Aidan Corr, Luke McDonald also at half- back — around me … and they’ve been awesome for me,” Ziebell said.

“I was quite excited to get down there the first couple of weeks of pre-season training and after a week and a bit down there now, I’ve learnt so much.”

Ziebell featured in just eight games last year due to hamstring problems as the Roos finished the campaign secondbottom with a 3- 14 record.

Four months on, he is on track to complete a full preseason , which is symbolic of the club’s injury list.

“A big change from the last couple of years has been our availability at this time of year,” he said.

“This year we’ve had just about everyone training most sessions, which is something I haven’t seen at the footy club for four or five years.

“If that continues we’re going to have some good availability come Round 1 and plenty of guys pushing for selection.”

One player who is missing is on-baller Trent Dumont, who is recovering from a calf tweak over Christmas.

“He’ll start joining in the next few weeks, which is good to hear because he’s an integral part of the team, ” Ziebell said.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1611779547435.png

That's the thing that I can't work out - we are already very well experienced in the back line (as JZ points out) and have plenty of bigger body options down there.

To have JZ in the back 50 on L plates doesn't seem to offer anything unique (maybe he will do kicking out duties?)

Whereas at high half forward he could oversee a much younger (and very slightly built) forward line - his experience and size would seem to be of better use.

But JZ seems to have bought into the move and it's been very well publicised so will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To have JZ in the back 50 on L plates doesn't seem to offer anything unique (maybe he will do kicking out duties?)

218 games of AFL football.

He's the 2nd most experienced player on the list!!!!

1611786454723.png

I strongly suspect that the bottom line for Jack here is that he finds himself in the exact same position as Swallow was in 2017. Remember, we pushed him forward to see if he could prosper there because we wanted to change up our midfield. Andrew couldn’t make it work and he didn’t survive. That’s where Jack’s at now. So, the challenge for him is to ensure he is more of a Hodge than a Swallow..

I strongly suspect that the bottom line for Jack here is that he finds himself in the exact same position as Swallow was in 2017. Remember, we pushed him forward to see if he could prosper there because we wanted to change up our midfield. Andrew couldn’t make it work and he didn’t survive. That’s where Jack’s at now. So, the challenge for him is to ensure he is more of a Hodge than a Swallow..

Swallows problem was he was completely one dimensional as a ball winner.

Jack has a wider ranging skill set.

So ****ing what!

He isn't Corey Wagner either.

It will take him a while to adjust to playing across half back is all I'm saying.

For every Hodge or Howe who has made a good transition to half back there is a Mason Wood equivalent.

Ziebell is no sure thing to have an impact down there, and he is going to have a number of players breathing down his neck for a spot.

It will take him a while to adjust to playing across half back is all I'm saying.

For every Hodge or Howe who has made a good transition to half back there is a Mason Wood equivalent.

Ziebell is no sure thing to have an impact down there, and he is going to have a number of players breathing down his neck for a spot.

Forget about Hodge, Howe & Wood and focus on Jack Ziebell as a defender.

I cannot see any correlation, but ultimately time will tell.

Swallows problem was he was completely one dimensional as a ball winner.

Jack has a wider ranging skill set.

Yep, completely agree, TPA. Nevertheless, Jack is in the same position as Andrew, in that he needs to prove that he can re-adapt and thrive or else fall by the wayside. I have every confidence in him.

Yep, completely agree, TPA. Nevertheless, Jack is in the same position as Andrew, in that he needs to prove that he can re-adapt and thrive or else fall by the wayside. I have every confidence in him.

He doesn't have to prove it if the coach picks him to play there, as he has proven it already by that support.

You have doubts, but you don't have any defined view of an outcome.

This is really about your personal doubts and limitations in understanding.

He doesn't have to prove it if the coach picks him to play there, as he has proven it already by that support.

You have doubts, but you don't have any defined view of an outcome.

This is really about your personal doubts and limitations in understanding.

🤣No, Snake, it’s just about me getting sucked into a pointless conversation. Personally, My first thought when I heard Jack might be going to the defence was “yeah, this will be interesting”. However, once people start second-guessing everything around here... As regards my own personal doubts, heaven knows I’ve had good reason for those. However, I’d like to think I’m circumspect enough to not allow football to impact that side of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back