Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
🤣No, Snake, it’s just about me getting sucked into a pointless conversation. Personally, My first thought when I heard Jack might be going to the defence was “yeah, this will be interesting”. However, once people start second-guessing everything around here...

It's interesting when slightly left field ideas like this pop up because it reveals the level of conceptual gymnastics that posters can undertake.

This is a hell of a lot more nuanced than most describe.

I mean, if Jack was sent to defence under Brad Scott, then I would take the view that it was a disaster waiting to happen, as poor old J-Mac & Atley found out, as how many folks actually think through the overall game plan and it's resulting symbiosis when they come to analysing individual players in the face of a respective opposition?

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nobes giving the impression 'JZ to defence' is very much in pre season trial mode rather than a done deal - a wise move imo by Nobes.

A move to defence is a very real possibility for Jack Ziebell, according to coach David Noble.

The number seven has been seen playing in the back half during match-simulation at training, and hinted of a potential new role in recent weeks.

“It’s something that we’re certainly looking very seriously at,” Noble said on 3AW.

“I think he helps shape our ball movement across that half-back line, has great experience and reads the ball really well.

“I’m not saying we’re completely vested into it just at this point in time, but we really like what we’re seeing.”

After an injury-interrupted 2020 campaign, Ziebell has been a welcome sight on the track over the past month.

Alongside the likes of Ben Cunnington, Dom Tyson and Kayne Turner, he’s back to full fitness and ready for a big 2021.

“He’s (Ziebell) had a really good pre-season so far, he’s fit and I think he can help us control what we need to down that end of the ground,” Noble said.

“A similar role I guess to what I’ve seen, not at the same stage of his career, but with a (Luke) Hodge; that experience to be able to help our guys, and then if we need to go forward and even jump back in the middle if we ever need to.

“It’s something we think has some real credibility around it.”

Ziebell played predominantly forward last year, but his toughness and attack on the ball makes him a versatile option for the Roos’ match committee.

Can't respect the drive bys on poor old Corey Wagner in this thread

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Coach said today he has really liked what he has seen of Jack down back. But he also said they’re not totally rusted on with him playing down there but they do like everyone being capable of playing multiple roles.

he also said, you can never have enough midfielders. Which makes me think we are going to keep adding to the mids depth.

edit: article from the SEN interview posted. I was only 49 mins late.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can i ask how fast is ziebell compared to firrito? If both are of similar speed? if very similar then he could play a role as an undersized key back. If he could settle in the back then at least we could minimize the booming hack from a congested situation.

Tarrant, Mackay, Corr are lock. How are the likes of perez, young and hayden travelling? If ziebell takes a spot then it's 2 from the 3 players.

Next is Atley, where does this leave atley? Is he finally going into the middle or is he on the way out?

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/854857/noble-backs-skipper

Noble Backs Skipper

North Melbourne coach David Noble expects Jack Ziebell to remain the Roos' captain in 2021 as the club undertakes a new leadership program.

Noble is three months into his role as the Kangaroos' new head coach and the former Brisbane football boss and Adelaide list manager has turned to Performance by Design to help instill the club's values as North Melbourne look to turn around their horror 2020 campaign.

Headed by Gerard Murphy, who is credited with building the high performance culture at Geelong ahead of their drought breaking 2007 premiership, Performance by Design is working with the Roos on their leadership process.

Noble said the Roos would look to settle their leadership group in the next three to four weeks ahead of the AAMI Community Series in March.

"It's a program that's set around values, behaviours and from that side of things the players will be engaged in that. It's a player driven program that underpins that and it's supported by the coaches," Noble told AFL.com.au.

"We're certainly in all of the leadership meetings and the players will have an input as far as what the leadership group is compiled of and then the coaches will have an additional piece of input in that as well."

North had an eight-man leadership group in 2020, but faces certain change after vice-captain Shaun Higgins headed to Geelong, while Jasper Pittard and Jamie Macmillan were delisted.

Noble said it was likely Ziebell, who turns 30 next month, would head into his fifth year as the club's skipper.

"I probably would have thought so," he said. "Gerard Murphy is the person who is running our leadership program from Performance by Design so how that shapes out you would probably anticipate that that's the likely outcome.

"But there's a few players internally, from when you first land and looking at it from fresh eyes, who are aspiring to be in the leadership group, aspiring to be captains of the football club. It's a long proud history of captains at our football club so from that side of things I think our program is going to be really robust."

Noble nominated Jy Simpkin, Jed Anderson and Luke Davies-Uniacke as future leaders of the club, whilst praising youngsters Jack Mahony, Nick Larkey and Curtis Taylor for their application as well.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/854857/noble-backs-skipper

Noble Backs Skipper

North Melbourne coach David Noble expects Jack Ziebell to remain the Roos' captain in 2021 as the club undertakes a new leadership program.

Noble is three months into his role as the Kangaroos' new head coach and the former Brisbane football boss and Adelaide list manager has turned to Performance by Design to help instill the club's values as North Melbourne look to turn around their horror 2020 campaign.

Headed by Gerard Murphy, who is credited with building the high performance culture at Geelong ahead of their drought breaking 2007 premiership, Performance by Design is working with the Roos on their leadership process.

Noble said the Roos would look to settle their leadership group in the next three to four weeks ahead of the AAMI Community Series in March.

"It's a program that's set around values, behaviours and from that side of things the players will be engaged in that. It's a player driven program that underpins that and it's supported by the coaches," Noble told AFL.com.au.

"We're certainly in all of the leadership meetings and the players will have an input as far as what the leadership group is compiled of and then the coaches will have an additional piece of input in that as well."

North had an eight-man leadership group in 2020, but faces certain change after vice-captain Shaun Higgins headed to Geelong, while Jasper Pittard and Jamie Macmillan were delisted.

Noble said it was likely Ziebell, who turns 30 next month, would head into his fifth year as the club's skipper.

"I probably would have thought so," he said. "Gerard Murphy is the person who is running our leadership program from Performance by Design so how that shapes out you would probably anticipate that that's the likely outcome.

"But there's a few players internally, from when you first land and looking at it from fresh eyes, who are aspiring to be in the leadership group, aspiring to be captains of the football club. It's a long proud history of captains at our football club so from that side of things I think our program is going to be really robust."

Noble nominated Jy Simpkin, Jed Anderson and Luke Davies-Uniacke as future leaders of the club, whilst praising youngsters Jack Mahony, Nick Larkey and Curtis Taylor for their application as well.
Keeping JZ on for 1 more year as Captain is the safest option for Nobes and is consistent with the media around the reinvigoration of JZ as a defensive player.

Ideally Jy would have another year in the system as VC and it appears that is now what will happen this year.

If JZ gets injured then Jy would get to learn the ropes on the job.

He didn't mention Lmac in that list - but maybe just an oversight on his behalf.

Keeping JZ on for 1 more year as Captain is the safest option for Nobes and is consistent with the media around the reinvigoration of JZ as a defensive player.

Ideally Jy would have another year in the system as VC and it appears that is now what will happen this year.

He didn't mention Lmac in that list - but maybe just an oversight on his behalf.

Another year also gives a few of them an opportunity to stake their claims fully. Jy is up there and from the outside in he'd be my choice today but there are a few others that would be well within their rights to throw their hat in amongst the younger blokes (assuming players like Tarrant / Goldy etc aren't a long term choice). Now all that said I'd be devastated if Jack struggled massively this year (form or body) and was captain - it's a lose lose situation then whether we drop him or he plays out as a shadow of his best.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

There's no rush with Jy, he's only 22.

If JZ has a good year then I expect him to retain the captaincy.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jy will be 24 at the start of the 2022 season - he will be more than ready - he is nearly there now but 1 more season (where he will have a significant leadership position) will top him off nicely.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he's still Captain it makes a complete mockery of our so-called rebuild.

For mine ewually go before many others who got axed (I like Jack and a good fella but seriously, he's no Captain)

Agree. That’s why I’m not too fussed about outsourcing the leadership training - even though it doesn’t sit well with my gut instinct. At the end of the day, the final decision is going to rest with people who will base that decision on what Jack delivers to the team on the ground - allegedly. I’d assume the leadership program deals with other non-football stuff, like confidence building and self awareness, etc. - things that should complement Jack’s actual football. Well, I hope so, anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I know for the most part on here Jye is the go to next Captain, but my personal opinion is the L Mac would be a solid choice to.
He seems to be the the vocal one on the field, he is clearly popular with the players and staff.
He has shown a mature approach to his football
He is media savvy
And I think being a North family man shouldn't be underestimated.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How does it make a mockery of the rebuild?

Because we got rid of the underachievers. Players, coaches, admin.

I was rapt with that. Exciting.

We should have finished it by telling Jack you've underacheived as well (which he has, and he's near finished) as a club as part of our so-called "full rebuild".

I just want him to play good footy for a change not Captain.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because we got rid of the underachievers.

I was rapt with that.

We should have finished it by telling Jack you've failed as well (which he has as he's near finished) as a club as part of our so-called "rebuild".

I think that would be a bit harsh on Jack. He has been a very good player and leader for us. I share the doubts as to whether he still has the ability to be a consistent best 22 player and therefore I would be moving the captaincy on for 2021. I would hate to see JZ in a position where there is real pressure on his spot and it becomes a big media issue because he is the captain.

Give it to Robbie Tarrant if they are worried that it is too early for Jye or LMAc.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think that would be a bit harsh on Jack. He has been a very good player and leader for us.

You like cricket as I do hence stats etc.

What is that statement based on factually?

We've been completely shithouse since Jack has been in charge.

Fact.

(no, not all his fault but to say a very good leader for us is simply bullshit based on nothing)

ps; I really respect your posting btw but not on this.

If he had kicked the goals last year he would be viewed totally differently. The game he came back injured was him trying hard when the team needed him badly, while it didn’t work out I can’t hold that against him. He is very good at most aspects of captaincy. I would have had him concentrate on improving his set shot kicking rather than playing back but he still deserves to hold the reins.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd pick Swallow (prior achilles) over Ziebell every day of the week.

Sure he wasn't as media savvy (ummm, ahhh) but at least he led by example on field.

Jack doesn't.

Back