Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of Ziebell's kickins:

Ziebell has taken no less than 36% of our kick-ins in any 2021 game, with than percentage coming this week against the Tigers; Ziebell took just 4 of our 11 kick-ins. His highest percentage of kick-ins taken came in Round 5 (Geelong), where he took 14/17 (82.4%) of kick-ins.

Applying a 3 game rolling average for stability, we can see that Ziebell is at a season-low, taking just 50% of kick-ins over the past 3 games. This is 22% lower than the Round 5 Geelong game, where the same figure sat at 72%.

View attachment 1202934

PLAYERMatch NameMatch DateTeam Kick-Ins For MatchPlayer Kick-Ins For Match% of Kick-Ins Taken by Player for Match
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Port Adelaide
21/03/2021​
15​
10​
66.7%​
Jack ZiebellGold Coast Suns Vs North Melbourne
27/03/2021​
13​
7​
53.8%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Western Bulldogs
2/04/2021​
15​
10​
66.7%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Adelaide Crows
11/04/2021​
12​
5​
41.7%​
Jack ZiebellGeelong Cats Vs North Melbourne
18/04/2021​
17​
14​
82.4%​
Jack ZiebellFremantle Vs North Melbourne
24/04/2021​
15​
9​
60.0%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Melbourne
2/05/2021​
7​
5​
71.4%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Collingwood
8/05/2021​
10​
5​
50.0%​
Jack ZiebellHawthorn Vs North Melbourne
15/05/2021​
8​
6​
75.0%​
Jack ZiebellEssendon Vs North Melbourne
23/05/2021​
9​
6​
66.7%​
Jack ZiebellSt Kilda Vs North Melbourne
29/05/2021​
16​
7​
43.8%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Brisbane Lions
19/06/2021​
14​
8​
57.1%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Gold Coast Suns
26/06/2021​
9​
6​
66.7%​
Jack ZiebellWestern Bulldogs Vs North Melbourne
4/07/2021​
12​
8​
66.7%​
Jack ZiebellWest Coast Eagles Vs North Melbourne
12/07/2021​
12​
7​
58.3%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Essendon
18/07/2021​
14​
8​
57.1%​
Jack ZiebellCarlton Vs North Melbourne
24/07/2021​
11​
8​
72.7%​
Jack ZiebellNorth Melbourne Vs Geelong Cats
31/07/2021​
14​
6​
42.9%​
Jack ZiebellRichmond Vs North Melbourne
7/08/2021​
11​
4​
36.4%​

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Stats can be deceiving, but I’m proud of the year the Skipper produced. I thought he was done at the end of last year - never been so happy to eat my words. View attachment 1214387

Yesterday was a sneak preview of the team without him. Rudderless.

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 21
Avg Disposals: 25.2
Goals: 2
Stat Highlights:
- Ranked 2nd in the league for total kicks & total Rebound 50's
- Ranked 6th in the league for total marks
- Ranked 13th for total metres gained (Averaged 490.4m gained per game)
- Ranked 16th in the league for total effective disposals

Best Games
Round 5 Vs Geelong - 38 disposals, 9 marks, 6 Rebound 50's
Round 6 Vs Fremantle - 37 disposals, 14 marks, 8 rebound 50's, 5 tackles.
Round 14 Vs Brisbane - 32 disposals 5 marks, 12 rebound 50's, 4 tackle

Summary

Wow! What a resurgence from the skipper.

JZ was coming off the back of an injury interrupted 2020 due to hamstring and shoulder injures. He only managed 9 games and failed to have his usual influence in the midfield or across half forward. After a few lean years many of us were starting to think that his bash and crash style was starting to catch up with him. Once Noble got to the club he said that JZ would be shifted to half back to play behind the ball and provide experience in the backline. Many of us (including me) thought he wouldn't have much of an impact down there due to his agility, speed and issues with keeping his feet in the contest. After a poor couple of pre-season games, many were justified with their stance. The season proper didn't start that much better for skipper with the backline under siege for the first month. Jack was far too often caught out of position, falling over or blazing away with his kicking. Luckily though, after the first month, Jack managed to find his groove and settle into the role. His kicking and positioning improved out of sight and he begun to have a real influence on games, often taking risking kicks that would open up the play. His defensive accountability also improved considerably and he was able to have an impact with his intercept marking due to elite positioning. He formed a fantastic (and unexpected) rebounding partnership with Aaron Hall who were both responsible for setting up behind the play. Arguably, JZ has ended up having his best season for the club and will no doubt be in the top 5 for the BnF, in fact I thought he was quite stiff to miss the All-Australian squad. Many of us have ended up with egg on our face after his resurgence.

This season was a testament to his resilience, leadership and willingness to do what was best for the club. I hope he gets to experience our rise up the ladder in coming seasons as he well and truly deserves to experience success.

Yesterday was a sneak preview of the team without him. Rudderless.
The team has been rudderless plenty of times with his inclusion.
He was smashed the week before by Hayward. I'm not sure if that was because of Jack's injury but to think he would have made any a positive difference on Sunday in fanciful.

The team has been rudderless plenty of times with his inclusion.
He was smashed the week before by Hayward. I'm not sure if that was because of Jack's injury but to think he would have made any a positive difference on Sunday in fanciful.

Disagree. Players get done by more athletic opponents that's no shame. Glenn Archer got beaten on the day by plenty of lesser forwards.

The backline just played as an uncohesive shamble vs Crows. I think Jack's presence usually helps it hold structure even if we're getting pummelled.

Disagree. Players get done by more athletic opponents that's no shame. Glenn Archer got beaten on the day by plenty of lesser forwards.

The backline just played as an uncohesive shamble vs Crows. I think Jack's presence usually helps it hold structure even if we're getting pummelled.
It is a shame when you are not one of the bigs in the backline. I think our midfield was the let down against the crows. No backline in the comp would have stopped the Adelaide procession out of the centre bounce.

It is a shame when you are not one of the bigs in the backline. I think our midfield was the let down against the crows. No backline in the comp would have stopped the Adelaide procession out of the centre bounce.

I agree the bleeding began in the middle but the backline looked really disorganised too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

boomers went for 6 years didnt it?
I thought it was 8. As i have said before, if it was good enough for Boomer, its good enough for everyone else.

I thought that the Captain had agreed to a 1-year deal. However, if this is true, I don't think that the senior players (and their managers) have realised that there is new management in place.

Had a good year but it was in a bottom team that have him plenty of room to roam around the back half. If we are to climb the ladder he needs to improve big time as most would need to.

If he gets more than one year, the club caved.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Isn’t he Tarrant’s best friend? Will be very interesting to see what happens
Pretty sure Higgins, Ziebell and Tarrant we’re close. Extremely close.
Hard to imagine that now not one but 2 are at opposition clubs.
Goldstein and Cunnington will most likely be the only ones to finish 1 club players.

Last edited:
Really who else is going to offer Jack a deal - has one good year in a row.
Nobes had to manufacture a position to keep him in the team.
Previously he has form and injury issues.
Plenty of sides would be looking for one of those leadership down back type players.
Could see him down at a number of victorian clubs for 2-3 years if the contracts were good enough.
Hope we don't lose him though.
Weird he hasn't resigned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back