• Inside Midfielder

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Forward Pocket

Votes: 124 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played an almost career best game against GWS as well, I reckon that was the best "captains game" we've seen in a while, did everything humanly possible to keep us in it withpver 30 touches and barely missed a target

Played an almost career best game against GWS as well, I reckon that was the best "captains game" we've seen in a while, did everything humanly possible to keep us in it with over 30 touches and barely missed a target

Yes, yes he did. What a great game he played. When was that again? Feels like forever ago.

This is the thing with Jack - we can sit back and reminisce about those games where we dominated:

The 41 touch break out game against the Dogs
The 4 goal masterclass against the cats
The owning of Adelaide in Tassie
The sublime performance against GWS

In fact, they are spread out so much and happen so little we have trouble remembering them.

Meanwhile I'd say that over the last 5-6 years, Sydney supporters would be better able to sit back and reminisce on those games where John Kennedy didn't dominate. They happen as rarely as Jack's top shelf games. That might be a slight exaggeration, but if so then only slight.

Ok, so he's not a star and never will be and is more a captain courageous type...so who are our stars? Who gets hot and simply has to be shut down at all costs? Who puts it on their shoulders, when the game is slipping away or the other team is making a comeback, to win the next 2 clearances and stop the rot? Who can be backed in to turn the lights out on the opposition on a regular basis?

I'm just not sure who or what Jack is and more importantly, am not sure if he knows at the moment.

Meanwhile I'd say that over the last 5-6 years, Sydney supporters would be better able to sit back and reminisce on those games where John Kennedy didn't dominate. They happen as rarely as Jack's top shelf games. That might be a slight exaggeration, but if so then only slight.

:Stern look

bYf9rso7NiLlklXCybvtd25hYfLog1au-WjsJZN3qIsYYjxdSz3RJikxHZ7qZIAkxi78S-cHxwq0dzmiDY-UMPaNvt4LM8JCw09VrvJBtetvcT9hBQ_ZPqndJxa_GcNqU0SrasJTIVa3pyQhHOzQiBi2gJwTg0NTbrsV9Q=w291-h400-nc

Point taken though. Jack has never been a player with such consistency. More a big moment impact player.

He and Cunners need more troops backing them up and the kids will hopefully develop well enough to do so more often in a year or so.

You can see why we're linked with both Kelly and Martin.

:Stern look

bYf9rso7NiLlklXCybvtd25hYfLog1au-WjsJZN3qIsYYjxdSz3RJikxHZ7qZIAkxi78S-cHxwq0dzmiDY-UMPaNvt4LM8JCw09VrvJBtetvcT9hBQ_ZPqndJxa_GcNqU0SrasJTIVa3pyQhHOzQiBi2gJwTg0NTbrsV9Q=w291-h400-nc

Point taken though. Jack has never been a player with such consistency. More a big moment impact player.

He and Cunners need more troops backing them up and the kids will hopefully develop well enough to do so more often in a year or so.

You can see why we're linked with both Kelly and Martin.

I'd like to see a consistent improvement in his DE over this year, especially in any more close games we might have.

It was poor in those close games we lost and over the whole game would have cost us more than any individual mistakes Tho they might seem more costly cos they directly lead to goals. It was a poor start to his captaincy and no doubt he is well aware of that.

If he does make the effort to improve his DE in the close ones he is at least setting an example to his team about what sort of behaviour - what sort of effort and attention to performanc - is required or acceptable and what isn't. That is probably as important as or possibly more important than anything else he will do as captain. And it has improved since those early close losses.

I would have liked to see him really take it up to Kennedy earlier too. As you said in the preview thread Kennedy's performance is a bit of a barometer when we play the Swans. I thought he was better in that sense during the third quarter but ideally he should have identified that early, before quarter time but at quarter time at the latest. Then acted on it, taken upon himself to do so if need be. That is the sort of leadership that will win flags.

He's been Captain for 8 proper games so this is definitely a learning experience and the early part of a steep learning curve. And its a pretty high standard of on field leadership. Dunno how many captains in the AFL actually achieve that. But its what they have to aim for.

I think he's improving and hopefully he will continue to. Its got to take at least a season maybe a couple of seasons to really go thru the whole learning curve of what to do as a captain.

Yep, big captains take time.

Jack's always struck me as a one possession then release (kick) midfield bull. Watching other good midfields, and midfielders, go about their craft you see their version of Jack receive a handball out of congestion, give off another and sprint to make a bit of space before receiving the pill back and kicking with a bit more time on their side. It's what inflates their possession numbers also. I hope Jack can master that, in a Dusty Martin kind of way.

Yep, big captains take time.

Jack's always struck me as a one possession then release (kick) midfield bull. Watching other good midfields, and midfielders, go about their craft you see their version of Jack receive a handball out of congestion, give off another and sprint to make a bit of space before receiving the pill back and kicking with a bit more time on their side. It's what inflates their possession numbers also. I hope Jack can master that, in a Dusty Martin kind of way.
In the meantime it's Captain Hack Ziebell.

Yes Captain Hack and Captain GoToGround.

He's a very good player, we're a much better team with him playing but he's a long way off elite.

Like Atley, but he's worse obviously, just haven't become near the players we hoped for.

Our younger players look similar skilled already. I find that exciting, not winning a flag relying on the old guys, so we need the next level/s to step up.

Last edited:
When we get JK and Dusty we will plonk our fearless leader at FF, watch him rag doll Talia and co in the square and kick bags.

BBB to roam around the forward line and float over the packs at will.

Fun times ahead!

I'd like to see him in the spare man role across half back . I think he could really excel there much like Goddard did at StKilda under Lyon . Would sit in the hole no questions asked , he reads the play well and is a very good overhead mark which would make him a good intercept player .

I'd like to see him in the spare man role across half back . I think he could really excel there much like Goddard did at StKilda under Lyon . Would sit in the hole no questions asked , he reads the play well and is a very good overhead mark which would make him a good intercept player .

He and Hansen should rotate from defence to attack, defence to attack, defence to attack.......

Is a very good field kick too with a bit of time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really sad that these sort of games are the norm and not outliers.

Low 20's disposal count, a few tackles. Opposition streaming off him at every contest. Limited defensive running, giving us nothing outside the contest.

Mediocre B grade midfielder who 3 times a year plays a real elite game.

Can't see him ever taking his game to another level with his inability to be able to cover the ground.

It's really sad that these sort of games are the norm and not outliers.

Low 20's disposal count, a few tackles. Opposition streaming off him at every contest. Limited defensive running, giving us nothing outside the contest.

Mediocre B grade midfielder who 3 times a year plays a real elite game.

Can't see him ever taking his game to another level with his inability to be able to cover the ground.
Trade bait. He should be ashamed that he is playing ahead of Boomer.

Jack had a shocker tonight.

Jack had a shocker tonight.
Watching him out there tonight - as a captain's effort - it was terrible. Just nothing from him.

We know he doesn't run both ways but at stoppages he just wasn't moving, almost disinterested, as their faster players just peeled off him.

He just jogged around, no animation, no encouragement, no leadership - picked up a few hack forward kicks nothing more.

I think he is very frustrated - he can still play the odd really good game - but I think he is recognising that the game has quickly caught up on him - he can't use his strength to intimidate opponents because the game has gone 'soft' and he is simply not athletic enough to be a permanant modern day midfielder.

I hope he can rejuvenate over the bye week - that was a poor look tonite and not the first time this has happened.

Lay off he's got plenty of good games under his belt this year. Cunnington on the other hand has been putrid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Over 150 games and maybe 3 or 4 30+ pos games.
Strengths=good on the lead, hard at the contest and can boot the pill a mile.
Play inside 50 and do some damage
Is one of the reasons I kind of want Martin to be in the team....so him and Martin can rotate from the fwd line to the midfield. I think Jack as a forward is his more natural position....as where he played as a junior.

His tank is getting better each year however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back