Senior 7. Matthew Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree there: his kicking is below AFL grade in terms of zip/punch and accuracy, but he reads the game well and makes good decisions on where to go.

I still haven't seen enough from him to suggest he's not a liability with his overall athletic output, and that means we need to find ways to hide that so the opposition don't completely exploit it (eg. GWS).

Last week against Adelaide, both he and Newman got to take advantage of the hardwork of other team mates' running, with very little of that favour returned, and that's generally not a trait I want to see instilled in any professional (or aspiring professional) footballer.
Couldn’t disagree any stronger re his kicking, but that’s the beauty of our game. Kennedy is a powerful, accurate kick, easily kicking it over 50 metres. He and Owies would be the first two I’d select to take a shot at goal after the siren from 40 metres.

We all know he’s not the fastest on the list, but there’s no doubt he’s improved and gets over the ground much better these days. Every team has two-way runners that cover for others, but where he lacks in that area he makes up in contested ball, overhead marking and goal kicking. I’m sure he’s aware of his responsibilities and team structures.

Couldn’t disagree any stronger re his kicking, but that’s the beauty of our game. Kennedy is a powerful, accurate kick, easily kicking it over 50 metres. He and Owies would be the first two I’d select to take a shot at goal after the siren from 40 metres.

We all know he’s not the fastest on the list, but there’s no doubt he’s improved and gets over the ground much better these days. Every team has two-way runners that cover for others, but where he lacks in that area he makes up in contested ball, overhead marking and goal kicking. I’m sure he’s aware of his responsibilities and team structures.
To be clear when I say AFL grade, I mean AFL average, and I'm referring to his field kicking. Set shot kicking is a different skill, typically with trajectory.

He kicks to a team mate the same way he kicks for goal, and it's not the kind of kick that can break a good zone setup.

To be clear when I say AFL grade, I mean AFL average, and I'm referring to his field kicking. Set shot kicking is a different skill, typically with trajectory.

He kicks to a team mate the same way he kicks for goal, and it's not the kind of kick that can break a good zone setup.
Yes, now you’ve cleared that up that he struggles with those punchy 20-30 kicks I tend to agree, however he did penetrate the zone several times over the last two weeks by kicking OVER it with his booming right foot. This is something most in the team can’t do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp strikes me as a potential winger. I‘d rather we don’t try to make him into a Jones replacement.
No way known we are doing that. He's being forced to play there in the last game and probably this week because we simply don't have anyone else available who's big enough.

Bloke can play and is now showing his talent and spirit when given opportunity, like a couple of others. Bam Bam may lack pace but offers so many other attributes. Arguably the most criminally overlooked player on our list. Hope he goes on with it now and forces our hand before someone else poaches him.

How I see our potential best 22 midfielders:

Inside: Cripps, Kennedy
Dynamic: Walsh, Dow, Fisher
Outside: Docherty, Cuningham, SPS
Part time mids (HBF): Williams
Part time mids (HFF): Martin, Fogarty

Youngsters who could push in: LOB, Kemp, Carroll, Ramsay, Philp

Older/Depth: E.Curnow, M. Gibbons, Setterfield, Cottrell

Not sure the category of dynamic is apt. There are dynamic inside or dynamic outside players. Dow is a dynamic inside in my opinion, not just a separate category of ‘dynamic’. Furthermore, I prefer the term ‘explosive’, but I guess it’s just semantics. Also there are hybrids who can play inside and outside - Walsh. Also Stocker is not in your list. Just my two cents worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back