"Goddess"
07 kennedy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm not sure Kennedy can go where he likes if we opt to retain him, I think that restricts him to delisting himself and going into the draft, or waiting for the PSD to roll around. If I have that correct, we can in effect retain him in order to trade him. It's rare you see that in the AFL, but it's usually because the valuation of the player is such that either they get elevated to the senior list on a new deal or they were getting delisted anyway.

Kennedy is a FA, under AFL rules, any player who gets delisted is a FA for the remainder of their career, as long as they are out of contract of course.

If he’s out of contract, he can go anywhere.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Kennedy is a FA, under AFL rules, any player who gets delisted is a FA for the remainder of their career, as long as they are out of contract of course.

If he’s out of contract, he can go anywhere.
Where do the rookie list rules work into this? The nature of the rookie list is that they default to a system where they can be retained for up to 3 years... I'm not sure if he's exempt of that automatically. I'm also not across the current rules around the rookie list, as this may have been abolished entirely.

Also, how would this work for free agency compensation? My valuations would apply if we're eligible for compensation, but I can see us swinging for the fences again at the end of this season, in which case I would retain him if no one wants to make a trade.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Playing to his strengths, but yet another game where we fade late because we can't pace our minutes and effort as a team. He's not the sole culprit there, though.

If he's got value in the league and we're serious about the list we've built and where we want to take it, I'd take a pick in the 15-30 range and run. If he doesn't, we can just retain him on the rookie list, happy for us to do that ahead of keeping Newman, Pittonet, McDonald, Parks, and Newnes. He's earned that.

I don't think anyone can sign him away from us without us delisting him.

Had 17 of his 22 possessions in the 2nd half, 11 of 22 in the last qtr

That isnt fading

HarryFlashman

Brigadier-General VC, KCB, KCIE, MOH
Oct 21, 2015
Where ever needed to save the day
AFL Club
Carlton
Give him 3yrs & we will see the best of him. We need another bull and he’s easily one of our best over head & u have faith in him kicking straight! He might never be a “star” but he will enable others to be. A lot to be said for someone who will block, Shepard, can stand up in a tackle & tackle anyone who comes his way

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems odd to use one of our more explosive players like Cunningham as a tagger.
Like Dow he plays on instinct, also like Dow needed to improve his defensive application which he looked like he was doing well until his injury, personally just let him play his natural game with also being accountable defensively...

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s a tough one, he’s now playing at a level and brand of footy we were expecting when we recruited him, unfortunately ongoing injuries, club mismanagement, fitness issues, confidence & form and also where is he best positionally suited and played...
Honestly i thought unfortunately he was up against it and would be most likely delisted end of year, if he continues to play at this level and more until the end of the season, then the club can go a few ways maybe for now as insurance offer him a one year deal on the provision that if he continues his form next season with these type of strong showings and can get through the year well, there’s a 2 year trigger for him on the table...
Or the club might just back him in on a 2 year contract...

Double shout out to the BamBam Walsh feed to nail it as jab alluded ..Grrrr.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I need to figure out how to make gif thingies to highlight what I think are important indicators or moments - Walsh falling backwards in a tackle manages to kick a perfect rugby grubber which means the ball rolls end over end and is popping up for the reciever - kick was aimed towards one Carlton player and Kennedy - the bloke who can't run and only tackles blokes who 'fall into him because he is second to the ball" - Kennedy bursts through Fremantle player goes past the Carlton player on the burst takes possession - Walsh sees who is going to pick the ball up gets up like a flash - ball is held by Kennedy till Walsh is ready and quick perfect handball to advantage sees Walsh slot it from an acute angle..to ice the game ...

One of the best one two combinations I've seen from Carlton players this year - when it mattered and the game was on the line...

FMD - instead of acknowledging the facts of the game - I get to read how Kennedy (most tackles) and 11 disposals in a final quarter is actually a liability to the side because of some googled nonsense regarding anaerobic deficiency and the same nuffy chucks Newnes and Newman under the same bus - both of whom were instrumental in decisive moments in the game...

Talk about an agenda - just wow.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
One things for sure….if we are silly enough to delist him he will get a contract somewhere 100%

I would assume he would get a 2 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, but if we can opt to retain him so we can get compensation or a trade facilitated, I would seriously look at it, because his stocks won't get much higher, and we've got a lot of other options.

I'm seeing a lot of positive signs in our development of players lately, so I'd back those coaches to get more out of others once they're playing match minutes at some level.

Last edited:

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Stocker dropping in the hole in front of a leading Lobb, Silvagni standing up in a tackle and dishing off with 100kg of Alex Pearce hanging off him, Kennedy running past his opponent to play a part in that Walsh goal...these little plays win games. They require no talent but plenty of guts, and it's the very reason we've been down for so long.

Need these sorts on the list. Sign him up.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree, but if we can opt to retain him so we can get compensation or a trade facilitated, I would seriously look at it, because his stocks won't get much higher, and we've got a lot of other options.

I'm seeing a lot of positive signs in our development of players lately, so I'd back those coaches to get more out of others once they're playing match minutes at some level.
At the moment he is providing strong output which allows us to maintain a big body at clearances, even when Cripps rests forward.

Additionally of all our mids, Kennedy is easily the best forward. Great mark, great kick.

Even if all his weaknesses you and others have pointed out are true, he brings enough strengths to the table to make him a net positive...particularly as a great complement to Cripps.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
I need to figure out how to make gif thingies to highlight what I think are important indicators or moments - Walsh falling backwards in a tackle manages to kick a perfect rugby grubber which means the ball rolls end over end and is popping up for the reciever - kick was aimed towards one Carlton player and Kennedy - the bloke who can't run and only tackles blokes who 'fall into him because he is second to the ball" - Kennedy bursts through Fremantle player goes past the Carlton player on the burst takes possession - Walsh sees who is going to pick the ball up gets up like a flash - ball is held by Kennedy till Walsh is ready and quick perfect handball to advantage sees Walsh slot it from an acute angle..to ice the game ...

One of the best one two combinations I've seen from Carlton players this year - when it mattered and the game was on the line...

FMD - instead of acknowledging the facts of the game - I get to read how Kennedy (most tackles) and 11 disposals in a final quarter is actually a liability to the side because of some googled nonsense regarding anaerobic deficiency and the same nuffy chucks Newnes and Newman under the same bus - both of whom were instrumental in decisive moments in the game...

Talk about an agenda - just wow.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Stay! He's developing a good synch with Dow and Walsh at the moment! I'd love to see Teague rotate Cripps, JSOS, Kennedy as your slower bulls who can go forward. Also with Kennedy he could do that Grigg type role and take a few ruck taps, he's got a strong core and would cause ruckmen to take note.

Next year depth will be important, and if he's content to potentially play 11/22 be the 23/24th man and do his thing when required (Wiggins-esque) then he should receive a 1 year deal for next year and see how he goes from there.

Back