Senior 7. Matthew Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Please explain? I know Barker has gone, was he selecting the team on his own?

Barker was the so-called midfield coach . When they got rid of Bolton - they also shifted Dow/SPS/Fisher/Kennedy OUT of midfield and put Murphy/Ed back in - all those players were then 'repurposed' into different roles or dropped in VFL . Basically - Barker and Co - decided that these blokes were all fails and treated them accordingly AFIC these players were all part of the Bolton and SOS are fails story sold to the Board.

Now the same players with a few pre-seasons under their belts are able to match physicality with more developed players for longer - and when they are actually played in their correct positions - they can perform to their best. A better coaching group will also be able to get them to develop faster and better from here.

Barker was the so-called midfield coach . When they got rid of Bolton - they also shifted Dow/SPS/Fisher/Kennedy OUT of midfield and put Murphy/Ed back in - all those players were then 'repurposed' into different roles or dropped in VFL . Basically - Barker and Co - decided that these blokes were all fails and treated them accordingly AFIC these players were all part of the Bolton and SOS are fails story sold to the Board.

Now the same players with a few pre-seasons under their belts are able to match physicality with more developed players for longer - and when they are actually played in their correct positions - they can perform to their best. A better coaching group will also be able to get them to develop faster and better from here.
Fair enuff

No coincidence that Kennedy is playing senior football in the centre and the arrival of Luke Power as our midfield coach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is this true? The same as Dow? I can’t believe a change of mid coach is what it took for us to play these mids in the midfield.

Surely Teague pulls the magnets around and plays the team he wants to play.

Is this true? The same as Dow? I can’t believe a change of mid coach is what it took for us to play these mids in the midfield.

You would think so but i find it interesting that we have seen an improvement from the midfield group and the change to Power as our midfield coach. Not that i am complaining

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely needs to be elevated again. His biggest sin to date has been fade outs, but he uses the ball well. Would keep him on the list ahead of Newnes, Williamson and Setterfield, who have all been on the list long enough to have shown something by now, yet seemingly have reached their peak.

Issue with being a head coach is you have to trust what your midfield coach says about the midfield magnets, otherwise you lose the synergy and trust in the coaching department eventually amongst other potential issues. You've seen it in the various snippets and documentaries like Hardwick asking his assistant coaches at half time 'whats being changed'. So much more responsibility in selections and structure is on the assistants than is given credit for in the media, even though the buck stops with the head coach it's easy for them to be misled a bit, I think.

He's my favourite player. Tackles, marks overhead and just keeps finding the pill. A lot of slower players can tackle and find the footy but what sets him apart is his overhead marking, it's a serious weapon. Deserves another 2 years, he's been brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah let see how he runs out the season. I would give him a 2 year deal or something. I just want to know whats the go with Setterfield.
Contracted till 2022 but hasnt had the best run this season , not sure if he is injured.

Different coaches rate different players - differently. Player's careers are often made or broken by how well they get on with their coaches. Most AFL players are about as good as each other with strengths offsetting weaknesses - which is why most get paid about the same. The elite players are good enough to succeed under any coaching system - because they have a number of superior traits - relative to the so-called 'average' player.

Kennedy is above average in certain skill areas most notably marking and set shot kicking accuracy, average in contested ball, better than average in tackling effectiveness and below average in leg speed. Whether a coach/game plan/match up preference favours a certain set of attributes or doesn't is the meme around which players are judged by people who watch games on TV - a 'watching' which emphasises certain types of involvement and contribution and misses a lot of what a player has to do to present defensive or attacking options to teammates.

I have my own biases and that is I prefer players who are firstly footballers, secondly have some mongrel and thirdly can influence momentum by executing skill to advantage in important moments. Kennedy ticks my boxes as a role player and depth player, he has now done enough pre-seasons and has also gotten over mismanaged injury management at Carlton well enough to have enough run in his legs to not be a liability.

Will he ever be a superstar? Probably not because he lacks above average leg speed and needs to be on his game well enough to compensate through smarts- does she have the smarts? Absolutely.

You cant build a sustainable finals list - sans a bunch of Kennedy's/ SOJ's/Gibbons/Fogarty/Ed Cunow types - these types of players if used properly - create time and space for the stars to do their thing. Anyone who wants/expects every player to be a star has unrealistic expectations and will make the same mistakes in calculating player worth to a team over and over again - chasing the impossible 22 man super star list .

I compare Kennedy to similar players on our list - we don't have enough of them performing as well as he is currently to make it a sensible call to delist the bloke.

He's my favourite player. Tackles, marks overhead and just keeps finding the pill. A lot of slower players can tackle and find the footy but what sets him apart is his overhead marking, it's a serious weapon. Deserves another 2 years, he's been brilliant.
And goal kicking we start the game point point Kennedy takes a kick goal and off we go
Hes one of my favs too not just because his number is on my sons jumper or because he signed my sons ball or because he looks like a downt to earth country boy who would have time for a chat
But mostly because he can football I really enjoy how he goes about it
Generally doesn’t get lost in tight. blocks an exit lays a tackle gets a handball out even if he’s tackled provides blocks and shepherds
He finds space and spread with smarts
He’s definitely covering the ground better I’m stocked for him and the team

I thought Crippa’s work out of CHF in the last 30 minutes was really important too. That doesn’t happen without Kennedy shouldering the load.

My knock on Kennedy was that I didn’t see he, Cripps and Setters working in the same side, and I thought Setters was a better footballer. Proving the haters wrong atm. If he continues this form he should be given a two year deal, show some confidence in him.

I think he is.

Something very wrong with either his desire to play or his fitness, he's a shadow of the player we saw last year.

Started to imporve in the VFL but even then hasn't stood out as an AFL starting mid doing time.

I thought Crippa’s work out of CHF in the last 30 minutes was really important too. That doesn’t happen without Kennedy shouldering the load.

My knock on Kennedy was that I didn’t see he, Cripps and Setters working in the same side, and I thought Setters was a better footballer. Proving the haters wrong atm. If he continues this form he should be given a two year deal, show some confidence in him.

Agreed mate, I thought Setterfield and Williamson were rock solid and would be fantastic players for years to come, good god how they've regressed.

Agreed mate, I thought Setterfield and Williamson were rock solid and would be fantastic players for years to come, good god how they've regressed.
...perhaps more realistic to say that they are out of form and may be low in confidence - although Williamson seems o have benefited from having o play KPD in VFL and take on big responsibility and accountability down here.

It really has been hard to watch the lack of progression of players like Kennedy, Setterfield, Williamson, LOB, SPS & Dow as well as the unavailability of high draft picks like Kemp, Philp, Charlie and to some degree Cuningham and Fisher.

What I have liked over the last couple of weeks is that players who have come back in to the 1's after stints in the VFL seem to have improved their football and their confidence - Dow, Kennedy and to a lesser extent SPS and Williamson (last week) have returned to the AFL and all have looked more self-assured and are now playing in their rightful positions. Add Owies to the list as he’s performing really well after two years developing in the VFL.

Setterfield had two good games in the VFL before injury, so needs a block of 3 good games to force his way back in. Kemp seems to be developing nicely and Ramsey & Honey are having some solid games. Durdin hasn't had much of it, but is a first year player so has plenty of time.

The only real concern is LOB.

Things are looking a lot better for Kennedy and Carlton than they were 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back