AFL Toast 7 point win over Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

All the young blokes contributed well. We need to bring in a couple more and let their enthusiasm rub off on the rest and get us over the line next week.
Begley, like Francis is made for football. Hopefully Woosha starts giving these kids extended runs instead of this stop start crap.
You don't learn to drive a real car if you're sitting in a plastic peddle car.

Same they have to beat Tigers and Carlton for me to jump back on board
I don't say this to have a shot at all, but I honestly doubt you're in a different boat than a majority of people here in thinking we're still not going well.

I mean, it wasn't a great game and there are a still a lot of things we are clearly not doing well. The finishing and turnovers in particular are still hair tear material.

However, I do think we can take away some positives, one that you can only hope the team builds on. The defence was very good - to only concede one goal from halfway through the second until the bullshit free to Walters is a very good effort, Freo's poor play not withstanding. Fringe players like Langford and Guelfi played their best game in ages and were a key part of why we won. We continue to watch the development of a really good young player in Redman, and Francis came to the fore too.

There's still a lot not to like, but it's not all doom and gloom after that game.

Credit to Mundy. What a super footballer that bloke is.

I dislike this for two reasons.
1. I traded him out of my SuperCoach side after round 2.

2. I once had a discussion over who would be better out of him and Michael Johnson. I was looking good for a while on that count.....

But yeah he is actually great to watch. Very Pendlebury like in the way the game just seems to slow down around him.

s**t skills. Scrum from one end to the other. s**t ball-handling; dark-room might be all go, but after that s**t-show i imagine there'd be fluorescent how-tos. Shiel's a star. Walla my always, Saad just redefines sad, Stringer i'll rattle the tin for your next harem, and Guelfi the bleach-child just giving his all; loving it.

I would have listed AMT well before Francis for this trait.
A case could be made for a lot of players. I'd also say there's not much Jake Stringer does wrong with a football either (outside of goal kicking) and Winders to name another.

For me the main comparison with Rioli is in how he picked sides apart with his disposal- by both hand and foot. Francis hasn't kicked it as well this year as last IMO but I see elements of that rare capability in him when he has the football. Then you add his ability to sit on a ruckmans head for a mark (let's call that another skill) and that starts to leave even the better players we've had behind.

Maybe I'm getting carried away but I think we are witnessing the start of special with Francis.

We're actually missing McKernan in this regard.

Yes, he may be a bit of a strange unit sometimes but he can take a grab.

Daniher isn't the best contested mark... therefore he doesn't provide that release option for our backline, or reward for forward entries
McKernan is our best offensive tall for contested marking; Brown the most effective tall on the lead (and converter). Both being out makes a difference to our forward set up. Stringer is capable of being damaging in the mid field.

I dislike this for two reasons.
1. I traded him out of my SuperCoach side after round 2.

2. I once had a discussion over who would be better out of him and Michael Johnson. I was looking good for a while on that count.....

But yeah he is actually great to watch. Very Pendlebury like in the way the game just seems to slow down around him.
That goal he kicked when he shimmied one way and went the other...and our defenders all basically were ankle broken was ridiculously good. And as a SC player myself it tends to make you a tad biased!

Hurley was great again, on track for a third All Australian.

Defence was good all round but gees Freo dropped a few easy marks inside 50. They missed a few gettable snaps as well, but they were lucky we missed about 8 set shots inside 50.

Bags is done, with players coming back he should be in VFL. I mean even a taller Ridley could have done better whatever Bags did last night.

Stringer and Langford in the middle is a far better option than bringing Myers back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay. Our contested marking - all over the ground but especially in the F50 - missing handball targets and goal kicking are the glaring defects of our game. Once this comes together (and given the talent on our list, it should) we will be much more competitive, regardless of the team selections.
Improve once they play a few games together, in a row, so they get accustomed to their playing styles?

The obsession with Darcy Moore is staggering tbh. Is it because he is shiny and new? Beause imho, Hurley has been better than the Keira Knightley doppelganger
Moore has been excellent this season honestly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back