Prediction 7 premiers for the 20's

Which 7 teams will win a premiership in the next decade?

• Adelaide

• Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Gold Coast

• GWS

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melboune

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St.Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Other/New team

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised WCE have received so many votes. They are the Collingwood of last off-season. Bring in Kelly (Beams) and everything will just fall into place. The fact is both sides are just not on Richmond’s level and they will need a lot more than one overrated midfielder to catch the benchmark of the comp.

The other surprising one was Carlton. Average youth that is currently being carried by their ageing brigade. I hope for their fans’ sake that they eventually deliver some success but in my view it still looks pretty grim.

North Melbourne are definitely one everyone got correct.

Western Bulldogs are one side that everyone is sleeping on. They are have constantly taken it up to Richmond and are a young side stacked with talent. Address their key position talent and they are bound to win one or two more, potentially three.

GWS rightfully received a lot of votes. No one is losing faith after they lost their first attempt at a premiership against a dynasty side. The fact is, no one would’ve beaten Richmond that day. They should not drop their heads. They have a very talented list.

hawthorn exposed gws badly twice too. Show ponies no good when heavy work to be done

People have selected the percieved current best lists plus those clubs whos solid administrations mean they are never out of the action for more than a decade

real prediction would be to make a case for someone outside the list (im using hawks 33% as a cut off)

carlton is next 28% presumably because people belive this batch of early draft picks will succeed with a proven poor admin (not enhanced with the sos split revelations) although many many early draft picks have failed to register in the preceedin two decades or to be fair 15 years, two generations of footy players

the thought that carlton would win a premiership and hawthorn would not seems fanciful though

Sydney are still a formidable admin and they have the academy. They hve lances salary which will be a drawback for. Third of the decade

fremantle adelaide port adelaide and essendon surely have natural financial advantages to be able to make at least a run at it in ten years

gold coast north melbourne melbourne and st kilda remain. Gold coast still suffering from decisions made before the current ceo and coach.

need to keep the faith with evans and dew. Should be able to rise in a decade if the AFL admin sticks fat

my smokey is gold coast

Last edited:
The Tigers are doneski as far as flags go. West Coast will probably win it this year, wouldn't be surprised if Geelong win one soon, Brisbane are an exciting prospect. Then as far as middle of the road teams that have good cultures, I'll pick the Kangas, Adelaide, Essendon and GWS.
Essendon have good culture now, Bwhahahhahah!

Surprised at the lack of love for the Swans, they'll be perennial finals contenders like always and have a few potentially elite youngsters coming through. Think they will jag one sooner rather than later.

I know Hawthorn won't win one because they can't succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft.
That thread title completely put me off ever opening it and reading the posts

I’m surprised WCE have received so many votes. They are the Collingwood of last off-season. Bring in Kelly (Beams) and everything will just fall into place. The fact is both sides are just not on Richmond’s level and they will need a lot more than one overrated midfielder to catch the benchmark of the comp.

The other surprising one was Carlton. Average youth that is currently being carried by their ageing brigade. I hope for their fans’ sake that they eventually deliver some success but in my view it still looks pretty grim.

North Melbourne are definitely one everyone got correct.

Western Bulldogs are one side that everyone is sleeping on. They are have constantly taken it up to Richmond and are a young side stacked with talent. Address their key position talent and they are bound to win one or two more, potentially three.

GWS rightfully received a lot of votes. No one is losing faith after they lost their first attempt at a premiership against a dynasty side. The fact is, no one would’ve beaten Richmond that day. They should not drop their heads. They have a very talented list.
Although I didn’t pick them, West Coast isn’t that surprising considering that they can win in 2020 with Kelly. Kennedy, Hurd and Naitanui are their only immediate concerns in the next couple of years and they’ve shown that they don’t need them firing to win games. Beams wasn’t exactly firing when he went to Collingwood whereas Kelly played a blinder in the PF. You may be right, but they are the most recent non-Richmond Premier.

In 1990 who would have said Collingwood, Adelaide or North would have won a premiership before the decade was out?

In 2000 who would have said Brisbane would win 3 in a row Geelong or Sydney, would have won premierships before the decade was out?

In 2010 who would have said Richmond would win 2, or Bulldogs salute before the decade was out?

On this pattern I predict Gold Coast to win at least 1, Tasmania to win another... even Carlton will probably win one, but unfortunately Essendon will go another 3,650 days without winning a final.
Given Collingwood finished top 5 in both 1988 and 1989, I'd reckon 95% of Pies fans and at least some pessimists who supported other teams wouuld have said Collingwood would salute at least once in the decade to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a tough one.

Could only pick 5 that I reckon will win one.
Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, WC and Richmond I feel can win one.

Hawthorn and Saints are the other two I added. I'll never write hawthorn off and I like what St Kilda is doing.

Brisbane could be huge this decade.
On one hand I understand some of the hype about Brisbane. But then, they have a bunch of older guys on their list leading the way for them.
Neale, Martin, Zorko, Rich, McCarthy, Christensen, Robinson. I don’t think their growth will necessarily be as big as what some make out.

On one hand I understand some of the hype about Brisbane. But then, they have a bunch of older guys on their list leading the way for them.
Neale, Martin, Zorko, Rich, McCarthy, Christensen, Robinson. I don’t think their growth will necessarily be as big as what some make out.
You might be right. I hope you're wrong. Quite like Brisbane.

Although I didn’t pick them, West Coast isn’t that surprising considering that they can win in 2020 with Kelly. Kennedy, Hurd and Naitanui are their only immediate concerns in the next couple of years and they’ve shown that they don’t need them firing to win games. Beams wasn’t exactly firing when he went to Collingwood whereas Kelly played a blinder in the PF. You may be right, but they are the most recent non-Richmond Premier.
They lost Rioli though. They just don’t have the firepower up front anymore with Kennedy on the way out. Keep Darling quiet and I think the goals will dry up.

They will also have to do quite a leapfrog to overtake the reigning premiers. They were a 5th to 8th team last year. Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane were all better than them. You could also argue the Bulldogs were in the back half of the season as well.

West Coast and Collingwood have one final year to win the premiership then their window closes. Their depth and youth are both very poor.

If Melbourne don’t salute this decade that will be a lazy 66 years since their last flag 😳. Unfortunately I can’t see it happening anytime soon. We might give the old South Melbourne/Swans record a fair shake. As for this decade I’d love the Saints to bag one, also another for the Dogs. Hope not to see much of the previous teams that have dominated the last 10-15 years, primarily due to my intense jealousy of them all.

Hawks, Tigers, Eagles, Swans should all be considered strongly just for their record. The last 2 are quietly putting together decent young talent too, Hawks/Tigers VFL youth gets mentioned a lot but the Eagles and Swans both have a host of young players doing quite well in the AFL. Their forward lines in particular. Could see a 2024-2025 grand final, Eagles will need to have found replacements for Hurn, Shuey, Jetta, Naitanui, Kennedy and Swans in defence and Kennedy, but I think both sides have trade desirability and will clear big cap in the coming years.

Tigers are an obvious choice for 2020.

I've also picked GWS, even if the current crop doesn't win they'll be able to keep trading out quality senior players for picks to rejuvenate the list as needed. If Whitfield or Kelly get to mid-late 20s and want to go home, contracts mean nothing, GWS can likely just keep topping up for cracks as they go. They'll hit 1 eventually. Hard to see them improving on the current list yes but I also don't think they'll run into a Richmond 2019 side again so they could get one ala 2016-2017 years when the comp seemed much more even and the 'best' side didn't get it done.

Also picked Brisbane and the Dogs because they have the best core list of young players actually performing to A grade levels in the AFL. Not interested in "the club rates him highly" talk at VFL/training (spoiler: they get delisted if they don't and no club is going to trash its own players), these clubs have genuine A graders under 23-24 in the AFL.

They lost Rioli though. They just don’t have the firepower up front anymore with Kennedy on the way out. Keep Darling quiet and I think the goals will dry up.

They will also have to do quite a leapfrog to overtake the reigning premiers. They were a 5th to 8th team last year. Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane were all better than them. You could also argue the Bulldogs were in the back half of the season as well.

West Coast and Collingwood have one final year to win the premiership then their window closes. Their depth and youth are both very poor.

Waterman, Allen, Ryan, Cameron, Petrucelle up forward...only the first 2 haven't kicked 5 in a game at AFL level. Still got Darling and Cripps as 27 year olds - think they have 4-5 seasons left, 2-3 quality. Rioli may be back in 2022 if he doesn't get a full whack.

On top of that, if we're just talking immediately, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly is just about the best midfield trio in the comp and Yeo is the best 2 way mid in the comp, Gaff, Hutchings solid role players. Naitanui back.

Hurn is a concern down back but Sheppard should fit seamlessly into the leader role, and none of McGovern, Barass (who had a down year but is still young), Cole (x2), Duggan are going anywhere.

Still got plenty of guys that are performing in the WAFL as well as Coleman-Jones does in the VFL but I bet you don't wank yourself silly over the Eagles kids.

Waterman, Allen, Ryan, Cameron, Petrucelle up forward...only the first 2 haven't kicked 5 in a game at AFL level. Still got Darling and Cripps as 27 year olds - think they have 4-5 seasons left, 2-3 quality. Rioli may be back in 2022 if he doesn't get a full whack.
Yeah I remember Marty McGrath kicked five in his debut game once. “Who”, you ask? Exactly.
On top of that, if we're just talking immediately, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly is just about the best midfield trio in the comp
Is it?

Martin, Cotchin & Prestia have 6 premierships, 2 Brownlows, 2 Norm Smiths, 2 AFLCAs, 4 AAs & 6 B&Fs.

Yeo, Kelly & Shuey have 2 premierships, 0 Brownlows, 1 Norm Smith, 0 AFLCAs, 1 AAs & 4 B&Fs.
Hurn is a concern down back but Sheppard should fit seamlessly into the leader role, and none of McGovern, Barass (who had a down year but is still young), Cole (x2), Duggan are going anywhere.
Sheppard is a decent role player, McGovern is a bit of a plodder, Barass is truly awful and I haven’t heard of the other two.
Still got plenty of guys that are performing in the WAFL as well as Coleman-Jones does in the VFL but I bet you don't wank yourself silly over the Eagles kids.
Our kids dominated the VFL (a much stronger comp than the WAFL) and won the Grand Final. Are you seriously trying to tell me WCE have better kids than us? ROFL.

Back