Prediction 7 premiers for the 20's

Which 7 teams will win a premiership in the next decade?

• Adelaide

• Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Gold Coast

• GWS

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melboune

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St.Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Other/New team

Results are only viewable after voting.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would you vote for the dogs?? Considering we beat you by 40+ under Bolton missing Docherty, Betts, Martin, Newnes, Setterfield and Charlie. Then we followed up with a 3 points loss without Docherty, Betts, Martin, Newnes, Silvagni and Jones. Do you expect us to get worse with Teague and 3 potential AA additions (2 already have achieved it).
Flawed logic there. So and so team beat this team by this much therefore this team is bad. At the end of the day all that matters is the 4 points. And considering we finished higher than you on the ladder, due to winning more games, many would consider us a better team. Not having a go, Carlton is my second team and I very much expect them to improve under Teague. As I said in my previous comment, nothing is impossible.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They will also have to do quite a leapfrog to overtake the reigning premiers. They were a 5th to 8th team last year. Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane were all better than them. You could also argue the Bulldogs were in the back half of the season as well.
Yeah, teams moving up and down the ladder from season to season is unheard of. I couldn't envisage any team in the 8th-5th tier leap-frogging the reigning premiers the following year. That has literally never happened in the AFL.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Flawed logic there. So and so team beat this team by this much therefore this team is bad. At the end of the day all that matters is the 4 points. And considering we finished higher than you on the ladder, due to winning more games, many would consider us a better team. Not having a go, Carlton is my second team and I very much expect them to improve under Teague. As I said in my previous comment, nothing is impossible.
Exactly. 4 points each in 2019. See similar in our future in 2020. If not all 8 points going to Carlton. 6-5 final 11 puts us 8th. Which is coincidently where you finished in 2019. I’m predicting this is the year my team finishes higher than the dogs (my wife and fathers team).

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
In 1990 who would have said Collingwood, Adelaide or North would have won a premiership before the decade was out?

In 2000 who would have said Brisbane would win 3 in a row Geelong or Sydney, would have won premierships before the decade was out?

In 2010 who would have said Richmond would win 2, or Bulldogs salute before the decade was out?

On this pattern I predict Gold Coast to win at least 1, Tasmania to win another... even Carlton will probably win one, but unfortunately Essendon will go another 3,650 days without winning a final.

Even more agony: 3,653 days to be precise - there's 3 leap years from 2020 to 2029 :moustache:

Tenny

??
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, teams moving up and down the ladder from season to season is unheard of. I couldn't envisage any team in the 8th-5th tier leap-frogging the reigning premiers the following year. That has literally never happened in the AFL.
Of course it has happened. I’m not saying it’s impossible. I just said it’s unlikely. Lots of ground to make up on a very good football side.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Melbourne don’t salute this decade that will be a lazy 66 years since their last flag 😳. Unfortunately I can’t see it happening anytime soon. We might give the old South Melbourne/Swans record a fair shake. As for this decade I’d love the Saints to bag one, also another for the Dogs. Hope not to see much of the previous teams that have dominated the last 10-15 years, primarily due to my intense jealousy of them all.

I'm confident we'll win at least one this decade and 2020 is the first possibility. I haven't thought we'd win in any of the last 5 decades.

Richmond can squeeze one more out. GWS will win at least 2 and the Dogs are a fair chance for a multi too. Brisbane is well placed.

It gets more speculative after that. Hard to discount recent winners but I'll pump for the Saints and Freo for sentimental reasons.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
In the 90’s 7 teams won a premiership – Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast, Essendon, Carlton, North and Adelaide.

In the 00’s 7 teams won a premiership – Essendon, Brisbane, Port, Sydney, West Coast, Geelong and Hawthorn.

In the 10’s 7 teams won a premiership – Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Richmond and West Coast.

Assuming this trend is to continue for the 20’s who are your predicted 7 premiers for the decade?

And who of the 7 will win multiples (either - 3 win 2 -- 1 wins 3 & 1 wins 2 -- 1 wins 4).
Not going to happen in 2020's. We going for a dynasty when this decade gets into full swing. Be lucky if 4 or 5 different clubs get premierships on our watch. :p

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
1967 to 1983 spans 17 seasons.
Only 4 different clubs won the flags in that period.

1990 to 2007 spans 17 seasons too.
11 different clubs won premierships in that period.

Probably the two extremes of flags not shared out much to heaps of different clubs getting their time in the sun when league transitioned to salary cap era, draft era and national expansion in a big way.

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
Poor old Sainters - sitting just under 10% as I post this.

Loyal fans doing it tough for another 10 years? Jeez!
I hope they snag one.

As for my Cats, there's a real chance of us making the finals 7 out of the 10 years and not winning a flag...

When does Chris Scott hit retirement age?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
One thing is for certain...... Hawthorn will win at least one flag this decade.

They have won at least 1 flag in each decade since the 1960s.
Yeah, but they were over 50 years without a flag as a club to that point.
No guarantee at all.
More chance of Fremantle winning their first flag this decade, imo.

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
A little surprised at the lack of belief in Geelong. Just a little, though.
I reckon we still have a solid culture, are somewhat of a destination club and generally draft and trade fairly well.

Replacing Danger, Selwood* and Hawkins will be tricky though...

*Selwood at premiership level, not 2019 level, that is

1967 to 1983 spans 17 seasons.
Only 4 different clubs won the flags in that period.

1990 to 2007 spans 17 seasons too.
11 different clubs won premierships in that period.

Probably the two extremes of flags not shared out much to heaps of different clubs getting their time in the sun when league transitioned to salary cap era, draft era and national expansion in a big way.

1990 to 2007 spans 18 seasons (NOT 17)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Not much love for Port Adelaide? They have a fabulous list of kids, plus a good mix of 100-150 game players and vets.

Obviously the coaching dept is their one main/obvious flaw, but under a new mentor and voice, Port could easily jet a flag in the next 7 years or so.

6-5 final 11 puts us 8th. Which is coincidently where you finished in 2019.

If you’re using the back half of the year argument, the Dogs went 8-3 during that period, which equates to 16 wins over a year which is equal first last year.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Not much love for Port Adelaide? They have a fabulous list of kids, plus a good mix of 100-150 game players and vets.

Obviously the coaching dept is their one main/obvious flaw, but under a new mentor and voice, Port could easily jet a flag in the next 7 years or so.
despite a decent list of kids, they have a lot of blokes aged 29 or over

Back