Prediction 7 premiers for the 20's

Which 7 teams will win a premiership in the next decade?

• Adelaide

• Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Gold Coast

• GWS

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melboune

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St.Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Other/New team

Results are only viewable after voting.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the 90’s 7 teams won a premiership – Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast, Essendon, Carlton, North and Adelaide.

In the 00’s 7 teams won a premiership – Essendon, Brisbane, Port, Sydney, West Coast, Geelong and Hawthorn.

In the 10’s 7 teams won a premiership – Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Richmond and West Coast.

Assuming this trend is to continue for the 20’s who are your predicted 7 premiers for the decade?

And who of the 7 will win multiples (either - 3 win 2 -- 1 wins 3 & 1 wins 2 -- 1 wins 4).

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
That's a tough one.

Could only pick 5 that I reckon will win one.
Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, WC and Richmond I feel can win one.

Hawthorn and Saints are the other two I added. I'll never write hawthorn off and I like what St Kilda is doing.

Brisbane could be huge this decade.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's a tough one.

Could only pick 5 that I reckon will win one.
Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, WC and Richmond I feel can win one.

Hawthorn and Saints are the other two I added. I'll never write hawthorn off and I like what St Kilda is doing.

Brisbane could be huge this decade.
Yeah amazingly you have to go back to the 50's to find a decade where Hawthorn didn't win at least one flag - but I am not convinced you can win a flag with such a trade heavy approach.

Agree with Brisbane - they are one of my multiple flag winners along with the Bulldogs and Gold Coast.
It feels like the AFL will not rest until Gold Coast is stable and I think it will take a flag to make it so.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah amazingly you have to go back to the 50's to find a decade where Hawthorn didn't win at least one flag - but I am not convinced you can win a flag with such a trade heavy approach.

Agree with Brisbane - they are one of my multiple flag winners along with the Bulldogs and Gold Coast.
It feels like the AFL will not rest until Gold Coast is stable and I think it will take a flag to make it so.
I hope they get a couple.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
In 1990 who would have said Collingwood, Adelaide or North would have won a premiership before the decade was out?

In 2000 who would have said Brisbane would win 3 in a row Geelong or Sydney, would have won premierships before the decade was out?

In 2010 who would have said Richmond would win 2, or Bulldogs salute before the decade was out?

On this pattern I predict Gold Coast to win at least 1, Tasmania to win another... even Carlton will probably win one, but unfortunately Essendon will go another 3,650 days without winning a final.

PostPaolo

All Australian
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
In 1990 who would have said Collingwood, Adelaide or North would have won a premiership before the decade was out?

In 2000 who would have said Brisbane would win 3 in a row Geelong or Sydney, would have won premierships before the decade was out?

In 2010 who would have said Richmond would win 2, or Bulldogs salute before the decade was out?

On this pattern I predict Gold Coast to win at least 1, Tasmania to win another... even Carlton will probably win one, but unfortunately Essendon will go another 3,650 days without winning a final.

I'm pretty sure at the start of 2010 when the Dogs recruited Barry Hall and won the NAB Cup they were the pre-season favourites that year

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel like the first few years of the decade will involve a few teams dominating the premierships. My personal picks would be Tigers, West Coast, Dogs and Brissie taking the flags in the first 5 years. The last 5 years could be anyones guess.

Based on 1989 ladder : 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th, 9th, 11th and a team that didn’t exist would salute. All of the top 5 finishing sides had won their flag within four years of the new decade.

Based on 1999 ladder: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th would win flags. Essendon and Brisbane (1st and 3rd) saluted across 2000-2003 window, the lower top eight sides in 2004-2006 and the non-finalists in 2007-2009.

Based on 2009 ladder: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 11th, 12th and 15th would win flags. 2nd and 4th would salute immediately, followed by 12th and 9th. 11th and 15th shared three flags between them to finish the decade.

So from this expect the top current four to contend for the first three flags, middle of the road teams to claim the next three or so and well run clubs in the lower reaches to close out the decade?

With that, I’d probably say Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, Brisbane, West Coast, Hawthorn and Carlton are my guesses.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Its going to be at least three of the same and possibly five, geelong were so close in the 90s and collingwood in the 00s

so seeing West Coast, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn as montys for 3-4 of the slots add in Richmond GWS Brisbane for the other three

Carlton and Gold Coast smokies

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
2020: West Coast
2021: GWS
2022: GWS
2023: Brisbane
2024: Fremantle
2025: Brisbane
2026: Sydney
2027: Hawthorn
2028: Hawthorn
2029: Collingwood

Royal Commission held in early 2027 following seven years of non-Vics winning - which results in the reintroduction of the #freekickhawthorn rule

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I see Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Brisbane are all above 60%. All are in their window now as well, so while I voted for those four (along with the Hawks, Blues and Pies (also in their window)) I really don’t expect all of those give to salute.

GoldStandard

Senior List
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Based on 1989 ladder : 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th, 9th, 11th and a team that didn’t exist would salute. All of the top 5 finishing sides had won their flag within four years of the new decade.

Based on 1999 ladder: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th would win flags. Essendon and Brisbane (1st and 3rd) saluted across 2000-2003 window, the lower top eight sides in 2004-2006 and the non-finalists in 2007-2009.

Based on 2009 ladder: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 11th, 12th and 15th would win flags. 2nd and 4th would salute immediately, followed by 12th and 9th. 11th and 15th shared three flags between them to finish the decade.

So from this expect the top current four to contend for the first three flags, middle of the road teams to claim the next three or so and well run clubs in the lower reaches to close out the decade?

With that, I’d probably say Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, Brisbane, West Coast, Hawthorn and Carlton are my guesses.
Carlton are a well-run club?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I see Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Brisbane are all above 60%. All are in their window now as well, so while I voted for those four (along with the Hawks, Blues and Pies (also in their window)) I really don’t expect all of those give to salute.

I think the Doggies have as good a chance as anyone over the next 5-10 years tbh.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
At least Dodoro gets deals done and doesn't suckle at the draft teat.

How is the Shiel deal working out for you?

Also aside from Papley, name me one deal that SOS/Carlton haven't managed to clear in the past few years, we got our guy in McGovern and fleeced Adelaide for Gibbs.

I would take Silvagni's track record over Dodoro' s any day.

Back