News 7 Re-Signings

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Mihocek is being prioritised over others.

Perhaps we are seeing what is leftover so all that money can be allocated to him? As in sign some players for unders then Mio gets his contract with cream leftover.

Fact is you have NFI what is going on & are making wild claims & then insulting posters if they disagree.
This was my assessment of the situation too. Might be overly optimistic but there you go.

Want to know what's even funnier about this....
The day after that comment RE: you being an idiot for wanting to drop him, he had 26 touches, 4 tackles and 3 R50s. Good call!!
Comment still proves you were one of the flogs you're claiming you're not...

Rip

We have to get a deal done for Brody Mihocek,

Tyson deal will get done as will Levi you'd think.

Sure we will be looking to keep Daicos and I really hope we keep Madgen, thought he showed plenty of promise.

Kirbs, Smith and Oxley look gone as does Blair. McLarty might be stiff as well although deserves another year.

So our current remaining unsigned players are:

Adam Oxley
Brody Mihocek
Jack Madgen
Jarryd Blair
Josh Daicos
Josh Smith
Kayle Kirby
Levi Greenwood
Sam McLarty
Tyson Goldsack

With some question marks over Sam Murray and Travis Varcoe regarding their contracts.

With Beams, Roughead, Kelly and Quaynor coming in, four need to be delisted from that list. If we get Atu B and Bailey Wraith as rookies, that's a further two.

No question marks over Trav. He signed a one year extension a little while ago.

My issue with Broomhead is that next year will be year 6, he has done sweet FA to contribute, he has probably had 1 good game his entire career~~~~
Next year will be Broomhead's 7th on our list (2013-2019)!! It's fair to say I've never been a fan; I've just not seen him do enough at senior level to believe he has what it takes. Ironically, I'd say the broken leg has very likely given him another year with us that he may not otherwise have had. The club simply had to support him after that injury, as it was the right thing to do and it would have looked ordinary to the playing group if we axed him now. Delisting him and then putting him on the rookie list is a reasonable option under the circumstances. Perhaps we'll get lucky and someone like Port Adelaide will jump in and take him before we get a chance to re-rookie him! Probably won't happen, but the player has to know that he needs to perform in 2019 or his time will be up.

"I'm done" is ridiculous.

It’s an idiom, a popular turn of phrase, as coined by one of the prolific posters on here.

It’s like how when somebody says “delicious”, they don’t mean it’s tasty, they just mean that it’s a footy activity that would make Bruce McAvaney salivate.

Or when somebody says “smoke and shadows behind the curtains/windows” they don’t mean somebody is trying to escape from a burning building, it’s referring to a complex negotiation (that probably ain’t that complex at all) as popularised by Travis Cloke.

It's about the 10th time I've read it on here in the past week.

Indeed. People are just doing what they do with idioms and taking the piss by overusing them. And by that I don’t mean ‘urinating’ ;)

Are you really done, or are you just going to have a tantrum?

Nah, it’s purely a dramatic prediction about something that probably won’t happen, but if it does happen then they’ll be straight back here to make an equally dramatic prediction about something else.

Straight up and down posters tend to just let this stuff pass straight through to the keeper. And by that I don’t mean ... oh, whatever, you get the point :)

FYI Baltimore Jack Magpie Monopoly

Last edited:
I dont really buy into the media speculation when they say things like "It’s understood the Magpies have offered Mihocek a two-year deal on a low base". Same thing as said about Moore and Langdon all year, its really base level speculation.

When the media write that, they’re not speculating. They’re printing something they were told by a player manager (more likely) or list manager (less likely) - who are putting that information out in the public domain because they have an agenda.

Consider the Beams deal. Connors could have simply negotiated with Collingwood / Brisbane quietly behind the scenes, and Hey Presto, surprise! Beams is now a magpie again! Or not ... because Brisbane probably would have just simply said ‘no’. By putting it out in the media it’s saturated the airwaves and put pressure on Brisbane (and maybe Collingwood) to make it happen.

Just my opinion, but the media likes to throw that around because it creates drama.

... and sells newspapers / clicks.

Most likely the club knows he will resign, so isn't as high a priority as others (Langdon, Moore).

resign or re-sign?

Still doesn't make him a lower priority than Broomhead however.

Mihocek would be a higher priority than Broomhead. The fact Broomhead has signed and Mihocek hasn’t isn’t necessarily an indication of priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or when somebody says “smoke and shadows behind the curtains/windows” they don’t mean somebody is trying to escape from a burning building, it’s referring to a complex negotiation (that probably ain’t that complex at all) as popularised by Travis Cloke.
My vague recollection is that Travis was talking about Adelaide’s likely matchups rather than a negotiation... but of course I could be wrong.

My vague recollection is that Travis was talking about Adelaide’s likely matchups rather than a negotiation... but of course I could be wrong.
Indeed he was.

A central component of our stirring win.

You don't think the order players are re-signed indicates any sort of priority. I disagree. What's hard to understand about that? Priority x Difficulty = How soon the club re-signs a player. Mihocek (from what I quoted) seems to be very happy to accept a deal from the Pies, so then the question is where he is prioritiezed. You cite a media report that a "two year deal" is in front of him. I disagree with that as there is huge amount of evidence that the media likes to throw out numbers to pretend they are in the know.

This isn't rocket science. I didn't think I had to outline that entire statement so you could connect the dots?

The truth is you don't actually care, you're just offended someone is criticising your butt-buddy Broomhead. Your opinion on Broomhead has been proven to be significantly overinflated, so I'm not sure why it is even relevant to any discussion as it pertains to his value.

I guess we have to expect the feeble of mind to jump to such simplistic and irrational conclusions. It's okay, when you finish school and have some life experience you can draw on you'll come to learn that the answers are never that simple.

Don't let your dad catch you on his computer and whatever you do, don't follow the links in his search engine. I'm not sure you're ready for it.

Please tell me im kidding?

Next year will be his 6th year on an AFL list for 36 games.

He has played what? 3 good games in those 6 seasons. Im certainly not kidding.

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me why players with minor flesh wounds like broken arms and reconstructed shoulders can't continue to rack up games.

We might have to carry Murray if the ASADA case isnt resolved by list cut-off. So may not have the luxury or running one short unless the club chooses to delist him anyway....

Has anyone been able to confirm Murray was signed for more than 1 year?

You don't think the order players are re-signed indicates any sort of priority. I disagree. What's hard to understand about that? Priority x Difficulty = How soon the club re-signs a player.

Not necessarily.

There are other factors. One of them is that clubs need to pay at least 95% of the salary cap and we’re currently in negotiation with various trades. The difference between us having Beams + Roughead + whoever else the club is negotiating over (as opposed to those list spots being used for draft picks) could be half a $million or more. If those trades fall through, then the club might need to front load Mihocek’s (+ whoever’s) contract. If those trades go through, then the club might need to back end Mihocek’s contract.

Mihocek might be a good candidate to do that with, because unlike Broomhead, Goldsack, Elliott, and some others he’ll likely get a multi-year contract which can be either back ended or front loaded.

The salary cap + salary cap spending rules (what I’ve written above is a simplification) + match payments would make TPP management an extremely complicated thing - it would be quite a complicated spreadsheet.

So in a sense, Mihocek being left to one of the last might very well be an indication that he is higher priority than others.

This may be unpopular, but I wouldn't mind Daicos being traded. For his own sake, he is behind a heap of players now, we haven't seen any fwd freak play from him, more midfield talent. He is about 12th in line to get a game next year.

I'm not sure whether he will "make it" or not, but I think his best chance would be elsewhere. I like bits that I've seen from him, but can't envision where he fits in, particularly given Brown is quite similar.

I'm happy they gave Broomhead a rookie spot, good cultural decision and the guy does have talent. Would love to see him told, we need a seventh smaller defender, Aish, Appleby and Greenwood have floated through there, now you need to beat them out of the position to find a spot.

This may be unpopular, but I wouldn't mind Daicos being traded. For his own sake, he is behind a heap of players now, we haven't seen any fwd freak play from him, more midfield talent. He is about 12th in line to get a game next year.

I'm not sure whether he will "make it" or not, but I think his best chance would be elsewhere. I like bits that I've seen from him, but can't envision where he fits in, particularly given Brown is quite similar.

I'm happy they gave Broomhead a rookie spot, good cultural decision and the guy does have talent. Would love to see him told, we need a seventh smaller defender, Aish, Appleby and Greenwood have floated through there, now you need to beat them out of the position to find a spot.
He is 19 and can’t break into a grand final side? Not really surprising.

He hasn’t developed a body for footy yet. As for trading you’d get pick 99 currently...

I guess we have to expect the feeble of mind to jump to such simplistic and irrational conclusions. It's okay, when you finish school and have some life experience you can draw on you'll come to learn that the answers are never that simple.

Don't let your dad catch you on his computer and whatever you do, don't follow the links in his search engine. I'm not sure you're ready for it.
Blah blah blah, "you're a kid", blah blah.

Real high IQ stuff here.

It’s an idiom, a popular turn of phrase, as coined by one of the prolific posters on here.

It’s like how when somebody says “delicious”, they don’t mean it’s tasty, they just mean that it’s a footy activity that would make Bruce McAvaney salivate.

Indeed. People are just doing what they do with idioms and taking the piss by overusing them. And by that I don’t mean ‘urinating’ ;)

Nah, it’s purely a dramatic prediction about something that probably won’t happen, but if it does happen then they’ll be straight back here to make an equally dramatic prediction about something else.

Straight up and down posters tend to just let this stuff pass straight through to the keeper. And by that I don’t mean ... oh, whatever, you get the point :)

FYI Baltimore Jack Magpie Monopoly
I had him on ignore, so that explains a bit.

It's ******* annoying either way. And I doubt that people are using it in the same context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back