Senior 7. Shaun Mannagh (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

MANNAGH'S MAGICAL MOMENT: I've worked my whole life for this​

Brent Godde

By Brent Godde
Updated November 22 2023 - 5:26pm, first published 4:54pm
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmail
Copy

Shaun Mannagh is officially a Cat after being selected by Geelong with pick 36 at the AFL Draft on Tuesday night.

Shaun Mannagh is officially a Cat after being selected by Geelong with pick 36 at the AFL Draft on Tuesday night.
Pure elation.
That's how Shaun Mannagh summed up the magical moment he heard his name called out and was taken by Geelong with pick 36 in the AFL National Draft on Tuesday night.

Brisbane Lions midfielder Lachie Neale beats Collingwood's Nick Daicos and Western Bulldogs' Marcus Bontempelli for AFL's highest honour.
Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
"To hear my name called out was pure elation," Mannagh said.
"I've worked my whole life for this moment.
"To be surrounded by family and friends who have been by my side every step of the way made it even more special.
"Just to see their emotions and how much it meant to them as well was fairly surreal for me personally.
"I'm chuffed at the moment but realise that I've only given myself an opportunity to play AFL and that I need to work harder than I ever have now to make that happen."
Mannagh (centre) in 2013.

Mannagh (centre) in 2013.

ADVERTISING

Mannagh revealed he managed to keep the nerves at bay in the lead-up to Tuesday night's draft.
"I was fine and really calm and just had the attitude of whatever happens, happens," he said.
"As soon as the draft started and the first couple of picks were called out, I suddenly became nervous.
"I think that was just because of the anticipation more than anything else.
"I was anticipating it to be a longer night and being picked up a bit later, so I'm just grateful Geelong saw something in me to pick me as early as they did.
"Now I just can't wait to repay the faith the club has shown in me.
"I had a few chats with Geelong as well as a few other clubs in the lead-up to the draft but they don't give much away when you meet with them.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"To be honest, I was happy to go to any AFL club but growing up as a kid, I was a massive fan of the Western Bulldogs.
"But my mum, Julie, is a Cats fan and she is thrilled at the prospect that she might get to see her son run around in the Cats' colours."
Mannagh in action for Werribee this season.

Mannagh in action for Werribee this season.
Mannagh enjoyed an outstanding season with Werribee after finishing fifth in the JJ Liston medal for the best and fairest in the VFL.
The explosive midfielder-forward arguably produced the best performance of his career in the recent VFL grand final which the Tigers lost against Gold Coast.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

Mannagh claimed the Norm Goss medal for best on ground despite playing in a losing side after his breathtaking 27-disposal, six-goal outing.
Geelong recruiting manager Stephen Wells revealed the Cats had already decided to draft Mannagh before his dazzling display in the decider.
Wells said the Cats were privately fuming Mannagh performed so well in the grand final because it was the type of performance that would convince most clubs to take a chance on the mature age rookie.
"I'm sure everybody, even those that were deciding not to pick him, would have really noticed his performance in the grand final, it was outstanding," Wells said.
"We'd actually made up our mind before the grand final that we were very keen on Shaun and in some ways we were a bit disappointed that he played so well.
"So we're very, very happy to give Shaun an opportunity.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"We know he's going to really appreciate it and come in and make an impact at our club straightaway."
Mannagh playing juniors for North Albury in 2014.

Mannagh playing juniors for North Albury in 2014.
Mannagh felt privileged to be joining the Cats who missed playing finals this season for the first time since 2006 and won their most recent flag last year.
The Cats also have had a lot of recent success with mature age recruits including Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart and James Posiadly.
"I couldn't have asked for a better club to go to and their record speaks for itself," he said.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"Their track record with mature age players like Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart and James Podsiadly is something that has also been well documented.
"So I'm super excited to be heading to the Cattery and get stuck into training and prove to myself that I can play at the elite level.
"And prove to everyone else that I'm capable."
Mannagh won the Did Simpson medal for his performance for Lavington against Wangaratta in the 2019 O&M grand final.

Mannagh won the Did Simpson medal for his performance for Lavington against Wangaratta in the 2019 O&M grand final.
Getting drafted has capped the biggest 12-months of Mannagh's life.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

Mannagh married long time partner Sarah O'Connor earlier this year, produced his best season yet in the VFL and achieved the rare feat of getting best on ground in a losing grand final side.
"I've been very lucky," he said.
"Especially to marry Sarah.
"But a lot of hard work has gone into everything and Sarah has been there to support me the whole way.
"I'm starting to reap the dividends in regards to my footy career but hopefully this is just the beginning and I can spend at least five years in the AFL and create some special memories as well."
Mannagh finished fifth in the JJ Liston medal for the best and fairest in the VFL this season.

Mannagh finished fifth in the JJ Liston medal for the best and fairest in the VFL this season.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

Despite the odds being stacked against Mannagh of being drafted as a 26-year-old, he said his belief that he could one day play at the elite level had never waivered.
"I did think this draft could be my last roll of the dice but there have been a few mature age players picked up in the mid-season draft the last few years," he said.
"Marlion Pickett was drafted mid-season as a 27-year-old in 2019 and made his debut in a grand final for Richmond.
"So I didn't subscribe really to the theory that this draft was my last chance.
"But I realise the older you get the slimmer your chances of getting drafted are.
"I just play footy because I love it so much and want to play at the highest level I possibly can.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"I'm not one to go chasing cash in the bush and have always wanted to get the best out of myself both on and off the field.
"I feel privileged to have been able to play at such a great club as Werribee the past few years with such fantastic people who are now lifelong friends."
Mannagh's explosiveness is one of his biggest assets.'s explosiveness is one of his biggest assets.

Mannagh's explosiveness is one of his biggest assets.
To say it has been a whirlwind and life changing 24 hours for Mannagh would be an understatement.
He went to work at Altona College as a sports co-ordinator for the last time yesterday.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

On Thursday he will front the media for the first time at the Cats home base of GMHBA Stadium.
Mannagh will then initially live with fellow Cat recruits Connor O'Sullivan (pick 11), Mitch Edwards (32), George Stevens (58), Oliver Wiltshire (61) and Lawson Humphries (63) until after Christmas.
"Today was my last day at work which was tinged with a bit of sadness because it has been such a great place to work and my workmates have really supported me," he said.
"On Thursday I've got a medical screening and then meet the rest of the recruits and the playing group.
"All the draftees move in together on Sunday which will be awesome and we will get to know each other.
"I obviously already know Connor and I texted him congratulations on Monday after he got drafted and now I will be living with him for a while.
ADVERTISEMENT
Ad

"It's funny, I used to play against Connor's father, Jamarl, when I was at North Albury and Jamarl was at Lavington.
"So it's quite funny to think that I could be playing alongside Connor at Geelong and it would be a good story I guess, two boys from Albury playing in the same side in the AFL."

What a awesome 👌 article of great bloke....
We are very lucky to get him
Great article, but with one error; Geelong missed the finals in 2015.

I've heard he will be wearing the no. 7. Very highly rated player and person by the people at Werribee.

Doesnt surprise me. In many ways he is the isaac smith replacement so it makes sense.

Another great article in regards to Shaun Mannagh's undeniable determination, perseverance, grit, hard work and self-belief, if any one player deserves to be a AFL regular player, Shaun's the man..... can only wish Shaun the very best of luck in his unrelenting quest to be a AFL footballer!

Another great article in regards to Shaun Mannagh's undeniable determination, perseverance, grit, hard work and self-belief, if any one player deserves to be a AFL regular player, Shaun's the man..... can only wish Shaun the very best of luck in his unrelenting quest to be a AFL footballer!

Don't want to put too much pressure on the guy, but think he'll be yet another mature age pick up where the media by April are saying "How the hell did they get him?"

Gives us some more pace and class forward of the ball, and he'll probably have some stints through the guts as well.

Like a budget Tom Papley in that respect, the energizer bunny who just makes things happen when he's around the footy.

Hopefully Shaun is a bit less of a dickhead, though.

Don't want to put too much pressure on the guy, but think he'll be yet another mature age pick up where the media by April are saying "How the hell did they get him?"

Gives us some more pace and class forward of the ball, and he'll probably have some stints through the guts as well.

Like a budget Tom Papley in that respect, the energizer bunny who just makes things happen when he's around the footy.

Hopefully Shaun is a bit less of a dickhead, though.
I think we all loved the clutch goal from Papley in the 2022 granny.

Shaun Mannagh ranks #1 across 6 stats categories against our VFL side (minimum 5 games played), including #1 for Average Disposals, Tackles, Inside 50s, Clearances and AFL Fantasy Points. Also #2 for average goals per game.

Instantly adds depth to the squad, and along with Ollie Dempsey and Mitch Knevitt will give the match committee lots of options to shake things up.
1704861942138.png

I wonder how much our success with mature aged guys is just others clubs being more willing to fire recruiting managers.

There's no chance anyone is asking questions of the recruiter on an 18 year old taken at pick 30-50 until well into their second season. Take a 23-26 year old and if they're not in the side round 1 of their first season people will ask if they're a bust. And ignore that ~80% of kids taken there are busts too.

Shaun Mannagh ranks #1 across 6 stats categories against our VFL side (minimum 5 games played), including #1 for Average Disposals, Tackles, Inside 50s, Clearances and AFL Fantasy Points. Also #2 for average goals per game.

Instantly adds depth to the squad, and along with Ollie Dempsey and Mitch Knevitt will give the match committee lots of options to shake things up.
View attachment 1884320
The clearances are interesting. Maybe he really will be a genuine fwd/mid ala SJ/Chappy and later days Stokes. This would be a valuable addition to our group. Of course we have to see if he can back that up at AFL level. Not those exact numbers but as far as having utility around stoppages amongst the big lads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back