Traded 7. Tayla Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

DAppZ4kXkAAiVG_.jpg

Wrong sport - should be a hurdler!

Welcome to the best footy club in the land, hope you are proud to wear the jumper and make us proud while doing so.

Welcome Tayla. Looking forward to you taking some big marks and kicking goals for the bluebaggers!

As for the trade, I know she is an upcoming superstar, but it seems we paid a pretty penny for her services.

I didn't watch a whole heap of non-Carlton games. Can someone reassure me this trade is a good one?
She's good, though she arguably didn't have a great year.

Bella is raw but can take a grab and kick them, Nat was brilliant for us but a tiny bit scrappy with her disposal; Jakobsson didn't live up to the hype often enough and didn't give us enough as a target up forward to justify her role consistently.

They were all talented though, and all young. Not sure pick 12 and Harris really fills that hole, especially given that it's probably the 6th Victorian pick in the draft. We've got a lot of work to do to address our midfield issues now, because all we have going for us there is our ruck depth. Our running power is completely shot on current form.

Where Tayla helps us a bunch is that she is almost universally marketable. Inspiring role model playing the game tough and fierce, iconic, and she's easy on the eye. Here's hoping she doesn't go all Hayne/Mundine on us.

http://bpmultihlsvod5257.ngcdn.tels...-05-25_12-29-45-4407/output_2400kbps_720p.mp4

Are those AFL videos upscaling for anyone? The data is there on their end, but the player doesn't seem to know how to use it, at least on my browser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should just add one more thing: the boxing element is a bit of a wildcard.

She's big, young and talented so she'll probably do OK in the ring for a while, but between that and football, that's a lot of head trauma that she's volunteering for. It will take a toll, so I hope her boxing aspirations are Olympic, rather than the professional circuit, just for the sake of her quality of life.

What a gorgeous photo! Wish I could pull off the beanie and tutu combo but I think I'm a bit old.
Tipping no one will tell you otherwise

I should just add one more thing: the boxing element is a bit of a wildcard.

She's big, young and talented so she'll probably do OK in the ring for a while, but between that and football, that's a lot of head trauma that she's volunteering for. It will take a toll, so I hope her boxing aspirations are Olympic, rather than the professional circuit, just for the sake of her quality of life.

At least there is a name and evidence base for CTE now. Back in Diesels day there was no link at all. Tayla will have plenty of good people around to assess, look forward to seeing her lacing up the boots and gloves.

At least there is a name and evidence base for CTE now. Back in Diesels day there was no link at all. Tayla will have plenty of good people around to assess, look forward to seeing her lacing up the boots and gloves.
Diagnosis can only be confirmed at death, so that's not really a great help.

By the time there's visible symptoms, it's well set in, and given how much it can overlap with simple exhaustion and wear and tear in early stages (and this is true for just about any degenerative disease of the brain) it tends to be well advanced by the time it's noticed.

What's more CTE isn't the only branch of brain or neural damage, disorder and disease that can manifest from head trauma. Having negotiated both Parkinson's and forms of dementia with relatives before, they are all cruel ways to see out your days.

Where CTE can differ from some of the more common forms, is that it can manifest early in life and change behaviour, with a key late symptoms revolving around aggressive, erratic and suicidal behaviour.

Would love for our footy club to reach out to community and official organisations that cover this stuff in Australia, as well as ex-players like Diesel, and do some outreach and awareness work so players and public can see the dangers and exercise greater caution with their kids and better educate them about head injury.

I don't expect kids to stop roughing each other up, it's just more has to be done to limit the collision nature of many sports in earlier years, as who knows what effect this might be having on the physical development of some.

Diagnosis can only be confirmed at death, so that's not really a great help.

By the time there's visible symptoms, it's well set in, and given how much it can overlap with simple exhaustion and wear and tear in early stages (and this is true for just about any degenerative disease of the brain) it tends to be well advanced by the time it's noticed.

What's more CTE isn't the only branch of brain or neural damage, disorder and disease that can manifest from head trauma. Having negotiated both Parkinson's and forms of dementia with relatives before, they are all cruel ways to see out your days.

Where CTE can differ from some of the more common forms, is that it can manifest early in life and change behaviour, with a key late symptoms revolving around aggressive, erratic and suicidal behaviour.

Would love for our footy club to reach out to community and official organisations that cover this stuff in Australia, as well as ex-players like Diesel, and do some outreach and awareness work so players and public can see the dangers and exercise greater caution with their kids and better educate them about head injury.

I don't expect kids to stop roughing each other up, it's just more has to be done to limit the collision nature of many sports in earlier years, as who knows what effect this might be having on the physical development of some.

We're in a lot better place in educating juniors than the NRL or the NFL which are going to face a big battle in keeping the talented juniors with a choice of sports due to natural ability. The AFL has been on the front foot in this issue, awareness and concussion protocol is good. I'm not sure if as a sport we can improve further, other than staying abreast with the latest evidence. Footy is a hard sport on the body, be it brain, knees or back- we all know that going in, same with boxing.

The big risk with her boxing career is if she is injured and has to miss games of footy.

The secondary risk is if she is great at boxing and goes pro (earning more money than the AFL is paying players currently) and leaves footy behind in a few years. Sure, it seems unlikely but who knows where her heart will be in 3 years time.

The big risk with her boxing career is if she is injured and has to miss games of footy.

The secondary risk is if she is great at boxing and goes pro (earning more money than the AFL is paying players currently) and leaves footy behind in a few years. Sure, it seems unlikely but who knows where her heart will be in 3 years time.
Footy's been her passion for over a decade, so here's hoping it comes first.

We're in a lot better place in educating juniors than the NRL or the NFL which are going to face a big battle in keeping the talented juniors with a choice of sports due to natural ability. The AFL has been on the front foot in this issue, awareness and concussion protocol is good. I'm not sure if as a sport we can improve further, other than staying abreast with the latest evidence. Footy is a hard sport on the body, be it brain, knees or back- we all know that going in, same with boxing.
The next step is raising the minimum draft age and better regulation of junior, state and local competitions to enforce participation limits.

The second step is connecting these regulations with a wider body that can govern safety for similarly at-risk sports, so junior and amateur sportspeople can't sustain too much head trauma in a set period of time. Even that may not be enough, but it prevents a nightmare scenario where some 35 year old goes on a rampage after turning their brain into a prune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back