Traded 7. Tayla Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins her 6th pro middleweight fight by total knockout in the second round.

dnuv3t3pjeg31.jpg

I really feel for all the great players who have still not been recognised with a statue to be honest.

This is more about the symbolism. Like the NRL trophy is based on the two opposing captains in the 1963 GF, who were embracing after a hard slog in the rain and mud. It's not like Norm Provan and Arthur Summons were of such a stature they would have earned that recognition based on their playing careers alone.

This isn't honouring Tayla Harris individually. It is honouring the AFLW and respecting females as athletes first and foremost.

This is more about the symbolism. Like the NRL trophy is based on the two opposing captains in the 1963 GF, who were embracing after a hard slog in the rain and mud. It's not like Norm Provan and Arthur Summons were of such a stature they would have earned that recognition based on their playing careers alone.

This isn't honouring Tayla Harris individually. It is honouring the AFLW and respecting females as athletes first and foremost.

Nicky Winmar was an helluva player.

But him lifting his jumper and pointing to the colour of his skin was so pivotal a moment for sports/racism that it deserves a statue irrespective of his playing career.

Same goes for Tayla Harris. She could have ignored it all, but stood up for herself and women and internet victims. One of those little moments that gets people talking and maybe... Just maybe... changes some behaviour. I think it's a big deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it was a commercial thing commissioned by NAB, but if they can't find a permanent location I don't have any problems putting it in front of Princes Park :p

Great to see Darcy there supporting her as well.

It was great to see some of our players at her most recent boxing bout, wearing tshirts spelling out her name. The Hoskings were there. They are great morale boosters around the club.

I checked it out for myself at lunch time. Quite tall, not the best looking statue in the world but from reports it isn't finished just yet.

It looks a little weird having the knee being the supporting structure, if only we could have some sort of maglev technology to have her float above the ground like in real life.
20190911_131227.jpg

As for people complaining why others don't have a statue before her? Go and buy one. Statues are expensive, go to the MCG and you'll see each statue there is sponsored and paid for by a company.

We're lucky that Tayla is the face of NABs advertising campaign on billboards around the city (country?) while wearing our guernsey. We're lucky we'll essentially get a free statue out of this if they decide to put it in Princes Park in the future.

The statue isn't for her, it is for women's sport as a whole, it doesn't have her name on it anywhere, just her iconic kicking action.

The only words on the statue are "More than a kick"

:p

I'm sorry I just don't see it.
Personally I feel it is a massive overreaction and double standards.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I just don't see it.
Personally I feel it is a massive overreaction and double standards.

If you don't see it, then it was never intended to resonate with you. Others do see it and they are the ones it is aimed at.

You can't please everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back