AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to think as well, that whilst Merrett is a star and top 5 pick there’s no guarantee ...but that top 5 pick is also 7 years younger and will also leave more money in cap.

Having said that, preference would be for Zach to re-sign long deal

It's going to be a long year with the stay/go microscope on Zach, media already sticking the rib ticklers in on his RFA and we haven't even approached the manager gymnastics of leaks and posturing yet, which i fully expect to go on...

Make no mistake he is going to be expeeeeensive by the time the offers are filted out but I think he's worth it if we are "finally" going somewhere... 🧐

In saying that he seems very happy at the moment under this rather structured Truck system and having Parish in there doing the diesel work is seeing him wind the clock back on speed, space and freedom to kick ass we haven't seen for a while.

Love Zach, have ever since Bomber showed such personal interest him and playing him so young with big responsability.

In many ways I've become the supporter now that really just wants these young men to achieve some sort of success with us for their sacrifices and Zach Merret has made plenty, as have others just to keep us sort of legitimate.

A compo pick after our 1st pick (say top 6) will probably be best we get for him. Rather that than 2 late 1st round picks from Port for example.

This will be the sticking point for mine. IF it came down to Zac leaving and we got a Band 2 comp then we’d need to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be the sticking point for mine. IF it came down to Zac leaving and we got a Band 2 comp then we’d need to match.

Everyone naturally overrates their own players (excluding BZT and Cutler of course), but is hard to imagine he wouldnt be band 1. I think it is ultimately based off how much he is to be paid and length of contract together with how nice a birthday present you give to Gil and probably the use of a dart board somewhere as well.

I think we'd match anyway and tell his suitor they can stump up a couple of top 10 picks which is what a midfielder of his caliber is worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always a million articles about the most high profile out of contract players in a given year, nothing new here.

It's selling hope to fans of s**t sides because their team will get a passing mention, and it's click bait for the fans of the player's current team as they'll slavishly follow every article published.

We are only 4 games into the season and trade rumours are rife already. Media bored as hell for click bait
That's a fair point. The media don't have any player or club issues to attack re drugs, drinking, gambling, Eddie is off the scene, no likely COVID rescheduling. They have been left to make what they can out of the Port prison bar jumper issue and whether Buckley will be coach next year.

That's a fair point. The media don't have any player or club issues to attack re drugs, drinking, gambling, Eddie is off the scene, no likely COVID rescheduling. They have been left to make what they can out of the Port prison bar jumper issue and whether Buckley will be coach next year.

SEN were suggesting rucks need to do more. Like have to. My response was “why?” The game visually is as good as it’s been for years and scoring reflects it.

I think we'd match anyway and tell his suitor they can stump up a couple of top 10 picks which is what a midfielder of his caliber is worth.
Who is he going to who can get two top 10 picks? If we get band 1 combo and we’re in the top 5 picks already we have to take it. Ideal outcome is Zach stays but if he decides he doesn’t want to be here then he goes with my blessing (as long as it’s not Carlton, * Carlton)

Who is he going to who can get two top 10 picks? If we get band 1 combo and we’re in the top 5 picks already we have to take it. Ideal outcome is Zach stays but if he decides he doesn’t want to be here then he goes with my blessing (as long as it’s not Carlton, fu** Carlton)

GWS got 3 first round draft picks for Cameron from a team that finished 2nd.

Who is he going to who can get two top 10 picks? If we get band 1 combo and we’re in the top 5 picks already we have to take it. Ideal outcome is Zach stays but if he decides he doesn’t want to be here then he goes with my blessing (as long as it’s not Carlton, fu** Carlton)
Haven’t clubs stumped up multiple high picks in the past?

Trade up the current year pick (if necessary- it might already be top 10) and package the next years pick with some later picks to get a second top 10 pick for the trade.

Haven’t clubs stumped up multiple high picks in the past?

Trade up the current year pick (if necessary- it might already be top 10) and package the next years pick with some later picks to get a second top 10 pick for the trade.
If he's leaving for success, the club he's going to will probably make finals and therefore probably won't have a top 10 pick. And I highly doubt any club worth its salt would be throwing two other high value players out the door for a first rounder each just to get Zach.

The only clubs that currently have two picks are Brisbane, GWS and Richmond. Richmond is the one that might finish well enough to be a destination in October and still have a top 10 pick (Geelong's, if Geelong miss finals for the first time in years). They could then potentially give us pick ~9 and a decent player. But I don't think they've been linked to him, I don't know if they'd want him, I don't know how they'd pay him enough, and I don't think they'd ask him to be captain, which is one of his ambitions.

The other thing with Richmond is they might try a Tom Lynch deal – take the compo and do a cheap side deal for a couple of willing role players/list cloggers to add some extra value. Don't know if we want that deal though, since we're not Gold Coast.

If he's leaving for success, the club he's going to will probably make finals and therefore probably won't have a top 10 pick. And I highly doubt any club worth its salt would be throwing two other high value players out the door for a first rounder each just to get Zach.

The only clubs that currently have two picks are Brisbane, GWS and Richmond. Richmond is the one that might finish well enough to be a destination in October and still have a top 10 pick (Geelong's, if Geelong miss finals for the first time in years). They could then potentially give us pick ~9 and a decent player. But I don't think they've been linked to him, I don't know if they'd want him, I don't know how they'd pay him enough, and I don't think they'd ask him to be captain, which is one of his ambitions.

The other thing with Richmond is they might try a Tom Lynch deal – take the compo and do a cheap side deal for a couple of willing role players/list cloggers to add some extra value. Don't know if we want that deal though, since we're not Gold Coast.
Wouldn't mind Dawkins or Coleman obviously not ideal and not the best but would hope for more Butler less Townsend

GWS got 3 first round draft picks for Cameron from a team that finished 2nd.

They also got back 2 second rounders, including ours, which will be early, and they were late firsts.

Points-wise GWS got more for Shiel than they did for Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back