AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

07 - merrett.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 10, I Remember Bluey

Last edited by a moderator:

essendon

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Hillside
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Are we strong enough as a club to publicly register an interest in OCC/RFA player.....seems ok for other clubs ......
Where is tough talking Brasher or our CEO to contra any arguments to give supporters some.insight on wtf is going on......or is it factual and he's gone and they already know......just saying....

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we strong enough as a club to publicly register an interest in OCC/RFA player.....seems ok for other clubs ......
Where is tough talking Brasher or our CEO to contra any arguments to give supporters some.insight on wtf is going on......or is it factual and he's gone and they already know......just saying....
It is only April. And last year we did pull the surprise of the trade period (maybe other than the Collingwood fire sale) with the move for Dunkley. Sure, we didn't get him as we wouldn't pay overs but it was a pretty sensational and we did line that up with him without anyone knowing etc.

A key problem for us if Zach goes is that it makes it difficult for us to go after other FAs as that would cancel our compensation for Zach.

This will be the sticking point for mine. IF it came down to Zac leaving and we got a Band 2 comp then we’d need to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No chance he is band 2. If he goes it will be multi year and $700k plus.

So we know that isn't the case then.
He was. If the Pies where not falling over themselves to make idiots of themselves he would have requested a trade to them.
It was seriously that bad around the club last year with a decent amount of in fighting.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
If he wants to chase success, then he’s rolling the dice. For every Lynch to Richmond/flag, there’s many more Jaeger to the Hawkes/oblivion.

Look at Geelong and Collingwood this year. Port’s window is open but could be closed in two years.

He’s 25, we have finally recognised our list issues and seem to be addressing them, are now picking players on merit/for the future, are building what seems to be a sustainable system, have a very strong coaching group aside from a rookie senior coach (who is starting to impress), play in marquee matches and have spongy floors in our hangar. He’s our VC now and could well be offered the Captaincy next season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If he wants to chase success, then he’s rolling the dice. For every Lynch to Richmond/flag, there’s many more Jaeger to the Hawkes/oblivion.

Look at Geelong and Collingwood this year. Port’s window is open but could be closed in two years.

He’s 25, we have finally recognised our list issues and seem to the addressing them, are now picking players on merit/for the future, are building what seems to be a sustainable system, have a very strong coaching group aside from a rookie senior coach (who is starting to impress), play in marquee matches and have spongy floors in our hangar. He’s our VC now and could well be offered the Captaincy next season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I laughed surprisingly loud at this

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
He was. If the Pies where not falling over themselves to make idiots of themselves he would have requested a trade to them.
It was seriously that bad around the club last year with a decent amount of in fighting.
the hub cost us a bit in the end i think

Combination of form dip, coaching issues & being in each others pockets 24/7 was not ideal. A lot of players spoke of how difficult it was. Kinda like when you go on camp in school....by the end of it you get a little sick of your bestie.
If he was out of contract this year, i'd imagine we'd have kept Saad. I think he bailed when he could rather than stick it out with a new contract and see how fresh faces in Truck & Mahoney go.

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Was Merrett the reason Pies got rid of Treloar? To free up salary space for Zach?

Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m really in two minds with this.

I would be shattered if he left. I think is a genuine star and the first we have had since Watson retired. If he signs on, I hope he is given the captaincy and in a few years time is rewarded by lifting the cup on Grand Final Day.

However, in the position we are in, if he does want to go, we have a real chance to build a era of success in two drafts. Say we finish 13th, we could have 5 or 6 Top 10 picks in two years. It would bloody hurt and I don’t want it to happen, but the silver lining is there.

Personally, I think he stays. Collingwood look like they maybe in our position in two years time, Port looks unlikely just because they are in SA, Carlton don’t have enough room in the cap I wouldn’t have thought, which leaves Melbourne and they are a mix bag. If and when he signs, I believe he needs to become captain of the club.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

I would be shattered if he left. I think is a genuine star and the first we have had since Watson retired. If he signs on, I hope he is given the captaincy and in a few years time is rewarded by lifting the cup on Grand Final Day.

However, in the position we are in, if he does want to go, we have a real chance to build a era of success in two drafts. Say we finish 13th, we could have 5 or 6 Top 10 picks in two years. It would bloody hurt and I don’t want it to happen, but the silver lining is there.

Personally, I think he stays. Collingwood look like they maybe in our position in two years time, Port looks unlikely just because they are in SA, Carlton don’t have enough room in the cap I wouldn’t have thought, which leaves Melbourne and they are a mix bag. If and when he signs, I believe he needs to become captain of the club.
Yeah well if our captain can't play more than a few games in the first half of the season you'd think he might get the offer sooner rather than later.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Do we know why he was kicked out of the leadership group a few years back? Can’t imagine it’d be because he doesn’t set good examples at training or doesn’t answer teammates texts like Nat Fyfe.
guessing his leadership style is/was strongly influenced by Goddard and didn’t bode well with some during Woosha’s player empowerment era.

I’d be strongly against any captaincy incentives to re-sign. Usually doesn’t work out well.

Do we know why he was kicked out of the leadership group a few years back? Can’t imagine it’d be because he doesn’t set good examples at training or doesn’t answer teammates texts like Nat Fyfe.
guessing his leadership style is/was strongly influenced by Goddard and didn’t bode well with some during Woosha’s player empowerment era.

I’d be strongly against any captaincy incentives to re-sign. Usually doesn’t work out well.
Poor defensive running

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Our side has good young talent to work with.

The additional top 5-8 pick doesn't represent the best value for me.

I think more than the 3 last year, Merrett leaving would be a bad signal that we're not on track
So far this year it feels things are on the up. Everyone looks happier, playing better, performances are better.

We were 5-2 or something last year. I would take our 1-3 with the way we're playing vs the wins we had last year.

Yeah they kept changing the parameters for the player vote. Guessing Smith and Shiel got in because they're more extroverted than Merrett is, and that was probably a larger part of what they were judging on that year (probably phrased as 'building relationships' or some similar malarky). Merrett would be lower in that area as well as being similar to them in terms of defensive running.

Commitment, professionalism, work ethic are the values they keep going on about, but I think Rutten also mentioned something about being able to inspire your teammates? I can't find it now but I thought there was something about that. So not just that they like you, but they want to follow you as well.

Was Merrett the reason Pies got rid of Treloar? To free up salary space for Zach?
Not directly. They backed themselves into a corner with Treloar as he was due to be on $900k plus for a couple of seasons after they backended his contract a few times .
That was a hole they had to fix with or without interest in Merrett.

Back