AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

why do I feel like Zach isn't going anywhere? He just seems like a club person. I also know he has a big stake in BFT with his teammate, Dyson. IDK, unless you guys have a pretty catastrophic year, then I doubt he's leaving. Good upside in your youth. Draper will be the premier ruck of the comp, Cox obviously a great get and the names of your other first year players escape me but they're all gems. Nick Hind is a like for like replacement for Saad, maybe with a touch less one on one ability but a touch more poise going I50 and you got him for free.

I really can't see him leaving, as much as I'd love him at Carlton I just cannot see him leaving the Dons. Not for Carlton, not for Port and certainly not for Collingwood.

why do I feel like Zach isn't going anywhere? He just seems like a club person. I also know he has a big stake in BFT with his teammate, Dyson. IDK, unless you guys have a pretty catastrophic year, then I doubt he's leaving. Good upside in your youth. Draper will be the premier ruck of the comp, Cox obviously a great get and the names of your other first year players escape me but they're all gems. Nick Hind is a like for like replacement for Saad, maybe with a touch less one on one ability but a touch more poise going I50 and you got him for free.

I really can't see him leaving, as much as I'd love him at Carlton I just cannot see him leaving the Dons. Not for Carlton, not for Port and certainly not for Collingwood.
Username well earned after seeing this line.

Hence Shiel and Smith added
Front runner and headless chicken :p
Shiel was good defence wise in 2019 . Worked his area of the zone and picked up players in his area including the back half when McKenna and Saad where up the ground.
He was poor last year after he got suspended but he was not alone there.
Not surprised he dropped away given North bashed him and none of our blokes put any physical pressure on to help him.

You would think we have roughly 1.2m in the cap with the people who left last year offset by Jye,Hind&2MP. Plus Hookers 800k ends this year. So we can pay him more than anyone else.
He isn’t going to move to Port.
So which Vic clubs can get him?
Pies No way you would go there if you aren’t sure you will get the cash (see Treloar)
Blues maybe but might be getting tight cap wise (but some older guys retiring will free up space, if they get Cerra then no)
Saints - no $$
Dogs don’t need him
Hawks/North not appealing
Tigers would be taking a huge pay cut
Cats?? Backend the salary and he could get 800k over 5?? Closer to mum&dad
Melbs -surely their cap is getting tight??
Sydney?? After buddy retires they will have cap space

Fair chance he stays with us 850-900x5
Other options Blues, cats swans

You would think we have roughly 1.2m in the cap with the people who left last year offset by Jye,Hind&2MP. Plus Hookers 800k ends this year. So we can pay him more than anyone else.
He isn’t going to move to Port.
So which Vic clubs can get him?
Pies No way you would go there if you aren’t sure you will get the cash (see Treloar)
Blues maybe but might be getting tight cap wise (but some older guys retiring will free up space, if they get Cerra then no)
Saints - no $$
Dogs don’t need him
Hawks/North not appealing
Tigers would be taking a huge pay cut
Cats?? Backend the salary and he could get 800k over 5?? Closer to mum&dad
Melbs -surely their cap is getting tight??
Sydney?? After buddy retires they will have cap space

Fair chance he stays with us 850-900x5
Other options Blues, cats swans
Except you can't have 1.2 mil left in the cap in any year.

So we can't afford to pay him $1.2m a season starting next year?
I didn't say that. With the cap floor at 95%, you have to pay approximately 12.35 mil every year

I didn't say that. With the cap floor at 95%, you have to pay approximately 12.35 mil every year
You're being overly pedantic when it's obvious what he meant. Get the * out of my lane and go on to discord and answer my question.

's
This will be the sticking point for mine. IF it came down to Zac leaving and we got a Band 2 comp then we’d need to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's Port it will be band 1.

We have a lot of cap space as a result of underspending for 3 years and a few old heads coming out of contracts on decent coin who will either retire or get reduced deals.

Reports from a reliable Carlton poster on our board who always seems to have the inside Port goss is that Port have made a massive offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he stays but I am not in the camp of playing hard ball. If he wants out then cut him loose. The Daniher situation did nothing for the playing group last year with some players not overly impressed with keeping a guy that clearly wanted out. Truck is working on a new culture / new future. No room for those who want to walk away. Even more so if they are one of the leaders.

******* hell, 6 years he can be lifting no.17. Think clearly boy.
Or like any number of Essendon players who debuted in the past 20 years he can retire without the club firing a meaningful shot.

Or like any number of Essendon players who debuted in the past 20 years he can retire without the club firing a meaningful shot.
Who do I thank for that ? Dodoro ? Hird ?
Im lucky ,I’ve seen four. Feel for our younger supporters, completely ripped off.

Who do I thank for that ? Dodoro ? Hird ?
Im lucky ,I’ve seen four. Feel for our younger supporters, completely ripped off.
You'd be doing well to blame Hird now.

I'm just suggesting that the unicorn of SEVENTEEN probably isn't as strong a lure as fans like to think.

If he wants to go to port I’d ask for there, first and Marshall/Farrell

A late first rounder and a bottom 22/not best 22? Nah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely with Reid in the side he'll want to stay!! hehe

Seriously though, if we can finish the year with a spine of Stewart, Reid, Draper, Jones and Hooker with support from Francis and Ridley down back and Wright and Stringer up forward, we have the makings of a good structure. The midfield smalls are pretty developed already. Perkins looks a potential big sized mid and I hope we go with Cox as a 200cm mid. We should also draft a good-sized mid with our first pick next year and if there is a trade that will cost us a mid-range player and a 2nd rounder we have a team and game plan to start climbing back up the ladder.

If he nominates Port then we play hardball. I hate those campaigners.

I mean none of us really know the extent of the issues behind closed doors for the past 5 years

New ambassador role for Zachy. Wrote an op ed for the club website:

Zach Merrett is an AFL player and a new Our Watch ambassador. Our Watch is a national leader in the prevention of violence against women. The following column was penned by Merrett for aflplayers.com.au.

If you’re a man and you witness one of your friends, family members, teammates, or anyone else you know being disrespectful towards women, it’s absolutely your job to do something about it.

We all know the kind…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back