AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best things about this guy is that he often takes the low percentage option, but NAILS it & it opens up the game.

That is right after his decision making. I’ve never seen anyone quite as composed as Zac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d be silly to leave now, green shoots left right and centre. Could be massive egg on face if he walks out.

He’s also a decent shout to be the highest paid player in the AFL next year by way of a front loaded contract.

Not that that seems to be a primary motivator

Joey and Brisbane trying to get him on board. Would be a massive win for them if he left and we didn’t challenge the compo pick, 2 of our best players in 2 years and pay nothing pick wise under free agency.

so we have

Collingwood who are going down hard plus racism issues
Carlton no money surely and are struggling
Brisbane can't match financially surely
Port Adelaide maybe with Gray and Boak going down but would give them a flag
Melbourne shouldnt have money with May Lever Brown but right demographic

When you think about the likes of the Bears, Port etc coming out and publicly expressing an interest, I think it’s just posturing by them more anything to maintain their brand. Their both currently in the window for success, but as soon as they drop the interest in their brand will disappear again until their next batch come through. It’s bit like “look how good we are at the moment, everyone wants in and we can chase the big names”. Those clubs will want to stay front of mind for as long as possible.

In the end it doesn’t really matter who is or isn’t interested in Zach, the decision for him is purely stay at Essendon or leave

I’m certain we can offer as much if not more financial security than any other club, so the onus is on Essendon to show the future of football here looks good

I’m more confident than ever he’ll stay

I hope we don't sign him to a ridiculous Coniglio and Grundy-like contract.
No player is worth that unless you're Dusty. 5 years front-ended at 800K should be enough. 850K at most.

We have salary cap space, but I'd prefer to build a team that wants to stay together.

I hope we don't sign him to a ridiculous Coniglio and Grundy-like contract.
No player is worth that unless you're Dusty. 5 years front-ended at 800K should be enough. 850K at most.

We have salary cap space, but I'd prefer to build a team that wants to stay together.
Terrible deals. We've seen both Collingwood and GWS losing players they cant afford to lose already and fall out of premiership contention in the space of 12 months. If Kelly takes up the option at GWS theyd have Cogs, Kelly, Whitfield and Greene, 4 players taking up at least 30% of the teams salary cap. Collingwood with Grundy, Moore, Adams and De Goey would be similiar.

In regards to Zach who is still only 25 and in his prime, id be happy to see us offer 5 x 900k, although his decision to stay/leave doesnt seem to have much to do with money. The only team i think he would be considering would be Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back