AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Did well picking this guy. Will start off in the pocket like Jackson I would say and see if he can turn into that pacey, skillful goal kicker we need and as he matures move him into the midfield for stints.

This kid has class written all over him.

That doesn't make sense. If we took Merrett or someone else we would still have 2 players. We got 2 for 1 with pick 48 via trade but not with this draft pick.

I am saying that having Zach will help Jackson reach his potential, it's great for both of them.
Especially considering that Jackson was Homesick.

I am saying that having Zach will help Jackson reach his potential, it's great for both of them.
Especially considering that Jackson was Homesick.

Considering Zach boarded in Melbourne all of this year, it's not an issue for Zach, and now I wouldn't say it's a big issue for Jacko either

Considering Zach boarded in Melbourne all of this year, it's not an issue for Zach, and now I wouldn't say it's a big issue for Jacko either

Bomber mentioned Jacko was home sick.

Question

How does Z.merrett's skill set/playing characteristics compare with Gleeson.

I rate Gleeson highly !

Based on the VFL games I've seen and the 1min highlight package doing the rounds (so basically zero credentials of worth lol), Gleeson is a bit more silky, composed and technical whereas Merrett jr looks more powerful with a bit less composure. Gleeson is eyes down, kick it to someone close; Merrett jr wants to bang it down the ground as far as possible. Gleeson is an elite runner with both a bit of pace and a lot of endurance while Merret jr currently has the pace but not the endurance. Both should be excellent players for us once they've had a chance to develop.

Z.Merrett's biggest weapon by far is his footskills and pace but I think the difference between Gleeson and Zach are that Martin likes to spot up a leading target or chizzle out a short pass to a player ahead of him whereas Merrett really uses his pace and powerful, accurate leg to damage teams.

He has that Goddard or Dustin Martin ability to tear a team open with one pass and is incredibly damaging in space.

This is something that our team geniunely lacks and are hard to find.

He is incredibly damaging with ball in hand. Probably a trait he has picked up from a guy he has tried to model himself on, Sam Mitchell.

Hey Dons fans you have had the year from hell but now you can keep your head up with this kid a,
Small midfielder/forward with elite burst of speed and deadly delivery by hand and foot with a big heart. so i hope you like my post and good luck for 2014.

The good thing about him early in his career he may only need 2 kicks per quarter to have an impact. I think Power is a fairly different player and if hrs a quarter as good id be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope bomber can turn him into a nugget like Bartel, I don't think Bartel from memory was as good as he is now on the inside, great skills and a good tackler

Hope bomber can turn him into a nugget like Bartel, I don't think Bartel from memory was as good as he is now on the inside, great skills and a good tackler

Bartel? Used to be a tubby inside midfielder whose overhead skills reflected his height.

Merrett may not have done the sorts of pre-seasons required to build his endurance but he is a much more gifted athlete than Bartel (not to be critical of Bartel, he is basically the opposite of Merrett).

Bartel? Used to be a tubby inside midfielder whose overhead skills reflected his height.

Merrett may not have done the sorts of pre-seasons required to build his endurance but he is a much more gifted athlete than Bartel (not to be critical of Bartel, he is basically the opposite of Merrett).

From my memory Bartel was a ball getter but bomber dropped him for not being hard defensively, I just think this guy can have a similar impact if developed correctly.

Maybe Gilbee comparison is more realistic.

Dodoro has already said, I'm quite sure, that he has never done a preseason.

true. didn't play TAC cup last year, and was playing Cricket back home during the past summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back