AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

For those not familiar, premier cricket would be the VFL equivalent...

Only in terms of hierachy. VFL is a much stronger comp comparitively

I'm guessing this is the McKenna precedent of trying to keep an at risk player happy.
Actually I was wondering if the CBA renegotiations might've made it possible for them to seek sport-related employment or to take part in team sports during season breaks without needing one-off permission. One of the other Irish boys played in and won the Irish equivalent of the grand final the other day too (I think it's called the Sam?), and Dunkley was also playing cricket when he was interviewed by 7 and 9 the other day.

Actually I was wondering if the CBA renegotiations might've made it possible for them to seek sport-related employment or to take part in team sports during season breaks without needing one-off permission. One of the other Irish boys played in and won the Irish equivalent of the grand final the other day too (I think it's called the Sam?), and Dunkley was also playing cricket when he was interviewed by 7 and 9 the other day.
Yeah it was Colin O'Riordan who played in that Gaelic Final.

Yeah it was Colin O'Riordan who played in that Gaelic Final.
For Tipperary right? It's coming back to me now.

Long way to Tipperary.

I bet Damian Cupido wished he pursued a cricket career instead

Big step from Cobden div 3 to Premier firsts I’d imagine...even 2nds
Dunstan Shield (which is in my opinion the strongest comp outside of Subbies and Grade cricket) is the equivalent of their 3rds. Massive jump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played in the 3rds for Fitzroy-Doncaster and scored 43 yesterday.
cobden 3rds, F-D 3rds. he’s a mercenary. and we want to make this guy captain? outrageous!

Essendon AGM: List manager Adrian Dodoro says contract talks have begun with Zach Merrett:

Essendon list manager Adrian Dordoro says the Bombers are “doing everything possible” to get gun midfielder Zach Merrett to commit his future to the club with contract discussions opening with their star amid interest from Melbourne rivals.

Out of contract at the end of 2021, Merrett will be one of the most sought-after players in the game after next season after eight years at the Bombers.
Carlton and Collingwood are monitoring the situation of the prolific ball-winning midfielder, amid a sense he could be a gettable free agent next year.

But Dodoro said the Bombers would not let their midfield gun leave without a fight, telling a virtual Essendon Annual General Meeting he was hopeful there could be “some good news” on the fight to retain Merrett.

“I can assure every Essendon fan that we are doing everything possible to make sure we are getting his signature as soon as possible,” he said.

“We are working with him and his management at the present time and discussions have opened up.

“Hopefully in the new year we can get some good news on that front.

“There’s no way we want to lose Zach Merrett.”

The Bombers were understood to be set to offer Merrett a five-year deal on significant money during the trade period to try and keep him at the club.

The 25-year-old was dumped from Essendon’s leadership group at the start of the 2020 season, despite his stellar form on the field for the Bombers.

In the AGM Ben Rutten, who will have his first year as the Bombers senior coach in 2021 after taking the reigns from John Worsfold, hinted Merrett could return to a prominent leadership role at Essendon.

“I think with the depth of our leadership, we’ve seen some great growth from guys like (Andrew) McGrath, (Jordan) Ridley, (Darcy) Parish, (Kyle) Langford as well as significant growth in Zach Merrett who we kind of take for granted his type of leadership.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back