AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think you can put every player and situation in a black or white box.

Footy is a sport where, no matter what one player can do, if a club has shown itself to be utterly incompetent and self-sabotaging, there won’t be success.

Does a player have to decide to stay there for his entire career just because he went there in a draft? Depends on the situation.

I wouldn’t blame Zac tbh.

Whereas Daniher, I think this move is pretty shitty given how Essendon has been his rehab hospital, and as soon as he’s alright he just cuts and runs.

Two things.
Is Joe actually right ?
The decision was clearly a mental health issue and about a change in lifestyle to be able to enjoy footy again. I have heard recent whispers retiring from footy was not totally out of the question as an option.

I think that is hard on Lynch and to be honest two different situations with Lynch and Cripps.
Right now Carlton looks to be on the up at the end of his seventh season Cripps looks likely to stay as they are a decent chance to finally play finals again.
Lynch gave 8 seasons the the GC and was looking down the barrel of a 5 year rebuild with limited prospects of winning too many games let alone even looking at a finals appearance. Of course he was going to look at coming back to Victoria and it was always going to be a club in top 4 contention. I have no issue with this at all. In fact in his shoes I would do it 10 times out of 10.
There are already some WA rumor's about Cripps going back at the end of next year but I suspect that is just noise from the WA clubs and parts of the media. On the other hand one would have to question if Carlton where still looking at another 3 or 4 years out of finals at the end of next year would Cripps still be looking at the Blues as a good option after 8 seasons.
In the case of Merritt if I was in his shoes I would play it the same way as he is. Have a look at how things are going to look going forward and make a choice on sticking around for another 3 or so years in a building side or move on to play with a side that is in the frame to play and win finals.
The up side for us is the Pies have traded out of the first round and have not got the cap room for a top end contract. They where the side pushing hard at the end of this year. I would say right now their chances would be a lot more remote.
Gold Coast did not do too badly out of the Lynch exchange at the end of the day either... Rankine goes alright. Kind of reminds me of a young Andrew McLeod given his skills, pace and ability to do the freakish. Could end up being a win/win given how far off a flag GC were when it happened.

Zach has given us great service and whilst we should try to keep him, the smart move might be to let him go if we are miles off at the end of the year so that we can commit to the full rebuild.

Two types of players and people
Here.

The grit it, bite your teeth and dig in Patrick Cripps type. He’s continually said he wants to be at Carlton long term

Of

Tom Lynch. First chance at moving on from a sh*t show after pretending to show some loyalty after your first big contract and nominating a premiership team to go to.

Working Zac out is hard. I so desperately want him to be like Cripps and sign long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I don't think Cripps is a lock to stay at Carlton. If he was, he'd have already signed by now. I think he's very much in the same boat as Merrett. I expect him to go back to WA if Carlton don't show any improvement.

As for Merrett, he'd be crazy to sign now. A great individual year will see his next contract explode. As a free agent, many clubs will be offering huge dollars. If we're bad, why stay when you can earn the same money elsewhere while contending?

Actually, I don't think Cripps is a lock to stay at Carlton. If he was, he'd have already signed by now. I think he's very much in the same boat as Merrett. I expect him to go back to WA if Carlton don't show any improvement.

As for Merrett, he'd be crazy to sign now. A great individual year will see his next contract explode. As a free agent, many clubs will be offering huge dollars. If we're bad, why stay when you can earn the same money elsewhere while contending?
It’s December... Bont hasn’t signed either and he’s even less likely to leave than anyone else mentioned so far.

It’s December... Bont hasn’t signed either and he’s even less likely to leave than anyone else mentioned so far.
I know, but Bont and Cripps are in different situations.

Bont isn't technically a lock either, but he has won a premiership with Bulldogs and Bulldogs are competitive so I don't think there's any concerns about him leaving even if he didn't sign yet. It's reasonable to assume the delay is to maximise his next contract because there's no go-home factor. Of course Cripps may be doing the same as well, but I don't think that's entirely the reason he hasn't signed yet. Obviously I'm only speculating, but Carlton haven't come close to contending for finals in all of his career. He's also from WA. Another bad season may see him return home.

I think he hasn't signed yet to see how Carlton goes.

I know, but Bont and Cripps are in different situations.

Bont isn't technically a lock either, but he has won a premiership with Bulldogs and Bulldogs are competitive so I don't think there's any concerns about him leaving even if he didn't sign yet. It's reasonable to assume the delay is to maximise his next contract because there's no go-home factor. Of course Cripps may be doing the same as well, but I don't think that's entirely the reason he hasn't signed yet. Obviously I'm only speculating, but Carlton haven't come close to contending for finals in all of his career. He's also from WA. Another bad season may see him return home.

I think he hasn't signed yet to see how Carlton goes.
Hardly anyone from WA goes home to WA, that’s just media speculation. Carlton and Fremantle are in roughly similar points in their build so I don’t think that matters much either.

Money, loyalty would be the primary thing there, unless we start hearing he has a Perth-based girlfriend or something, then you start to wonder.

At this stage I don’t expect any of them to sign. They might start talking in simple terms but even the most committed ones don’t re-sign until the season gets going. Even if just for marketing purposes, pre-season is enough hype by itself.

Hardly anyone from WA goes home to WA, that’s just media speculation. Carlton and Fremantle are in roughly similar points in their build so I don’t think that matters much either.

Money, loyalty would be the primary thing there, unless we start hearing he has a Perth-based girlfriend or something, then you start to wonder.

At this stage I don’t expect any of them to sign. They might start talking in simple terms but even the most committed ones don’t re-sign until the season gets going. Even if just for marketing purposes, pre-season is enough hype by itself.
That's one of the reasons I'm a bit hesitant to say he is a lock. From my knowledge, she was hospitalised this year and she is from WA. Might want to move closer to family.

Only thing stopping Merrett getting to Carlton will be Sheedy...he will do everything in his power to ensure it doesnt happen and allow the Blues grabbing another top player and from us after Saad......gonna be a massive battle all year..

I don't know why anyone would leave to "win a premiership". Average length in league would be somewhere between 5 and 10 years. If my profession is lasting that short I'm going wherever pays me the most.
If the team that I am with offers a contract 100k more a season with additional years security I'd happily stick with that team.

Unless this "elusive premiership" pays a better superannuation in life after football I'm making the best money wherever I can make it.

It's a job and should be seen that way. To me if you take a pay cut and less security elsewhere then you are gambling with your employability.

So if zach decides to take more money and years elsewhere... Good for him. If he decides to take less money and less years for a small percentage chance of a premiership... Good for him but then I understand why he's not in a position of leadership.

I don't know why anyone would leave to "win a premiership". Average length in league would be somewhere between 5 and 10 years. If my profession is lasting that short I'm going wherever pays me the most.
If the team that I am with offers a contract 100k more a season with additional years security I'd happily stick with that team.

Unless this "elusive premiership" pays a better superannuation in life after football I'm making the best money wherever I can make it.

It's a job and should be seen that way. To me if you take a pay cut and less security elsewhere then you are gambling with your employability.

So if zach decides to take more money and years elsewhere... Good for him. If he decides to take less money and less years for a small percentage chance of a premiership... Good for him but then I understand why he's not in a position of leadership.
Surely it depends on where each player is at. Someone who is in and out of the best 22 is going to be more interested in job security and/or money, whereas a player with multiple B&Fs or an AA or two and is guaranteed games wherever they play is more likely to be chasing a flag.

Surely it depends on where each player is at. Someone who is in and out of the best 22 is going to be more interested in job security and/or money, whereas a player with multiple B&Fs or an AA or two and is guaranteed games wherever they play is more likely to be chasing a flag.
I guess I'm programmed different. I'd prefer a higher income over prestige

I guess I'm programmed different. I'd prefer a higher income over prestige
If you’re at a Zach Merret level you’re getting a high income at any club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was fairly well established that the average length of time in the league was 4 years (i've certainly seen it repeated many times). Mind you the average is basically meaningless because a player like Merrett will easily have 15 years + if he stays fit and healthy and has already had about 7. The average is the thing you tell a young bloke right when they are getting started and haven't played an AFL game yet so they invest all their money wisely.

Some people raise that there are material benefits to being a premiership player post career as well - I'm not so sure whether this is true or not.

There are lots of opportunities post career to stay in football and keep earning plenty of money in various capacities which many players do. Plus of course money isn't everything and the difference between $800K and $900K is not the same as $75K and $175K for John Smith. There are no job security issues for Merrett - he could go to any club and will get a game every single week and we all know it.

I thought it was fairly well established that the average length of time in the league was 4 years (i've certainly seen it repeated many times). Mind you the average is basically meaningless because a player like Merrett will easily have 15 years + if he stays fit and healthy and has already had about 7. The average is the thing you tell a young bloke right when they are getting started and haven't played an AFL game yet so they invest all their money wisely.

Some people raise that there are material benefits to being a premiership player post career as well - I'm not so sure whether this is true or not.

There are lots of opportunities post career to stay in football and keep earning plenty of money in various capacities which many players do. Plus of course money isn't everything and the difference between $800K and $900K is not the same as $75K and $175K for John Smith. There are no job security issues for Merrett - he could go to any club and will get a game every single week and we all know it.
I understand there is less job security issues with Merrett. But he could get OP, multiple knees, death of brother that totally screws with you.

Yes he has already plenty of money but with a finite amount of employability I'd make hay whilst the sun shines.

As he doesn't seem to be one of those people that walks straight into media or assistant coaching jobs. But I don't know him personally and he may have life after football worked out. Which is the greater battle.

I understand there is less job security issues with Merrett. But he could get OP, multiple knees, death of brother that totally screws with you.

Yes he has already plenty of money but with a finite amount of employability I'd make hay whilst the sun shines.

As he doesn't seem to be one of those people that walks straight into media or assistant coaching jobs. But I don't know him personally and he may have life after football worked out. Which is the greater battle.
Win a flag as a star and maybe your post career earning potential goes up because you’re a legend of the game

Plus I don’t think it’s prestige they chase as much as satisfaction - not the same thing.

Money motivates some people. Other people prefer to get the best out of themselves and create memories

As others have said, Merrett already should have enough cash for a comfortable head start on luxury

well there is the automatic life membership, so that will save a few hundred each year on your membership :drunk:
straight answer, no there isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back