AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Pweter

Get stuffed

Regards
DD

Dear DapperDon,

upload_2016-9-27_8-40-3.png

Kind regards,
Pweter

P.S. you could've made good money betting on Zach in the 16 - 20 vote range last night, paying about $3. I went "safer" and got on the Bont to poll 20 or under, needless to say I was happy to see him go voteless over the last 2 rounds.

Dear DapperDon,

View attachment 293414

Kind regards,
Pweter

P.S. you could've made good money betting on Zach in the 16 - 20 vote range last night, paying about $3. I went "safer" and got on the Bont to poll 20 or under, needless to say I was happy to see him go voteless over the last 2 rounds.
I put my coin on Danger 35 or more paying $4

got 3 in the last round to take him to 35, many of cheers was had in my house.

Shame you only put 1 coin on it, hope it was a 2.
it was a $40 coin, paid $160

Missed a 10 leg multi by 1 leg, friggin Laird getting 1 more vote than Betts. Would have paid me around $600-700

I now hate Laird

Just from a very quick check (of the 3-2-1 system years), I think it's 26.

That was in 1936.

It's hard to compare because there was a much higher willingness to give players in bad teams more votes back then. There is an argument to be made, for example, that neither Dick Reynolds or Bob Skilton or Haydn Bunton would have won a single Brownlow under the modern system that overwhelmingly favours those in winning teams. Reynolds barely polled a vote during seasons where Essendon had a winning record.

Does anyone know if Zachs new contract overrides his remaining 2 years?

I'd imagine his current contract would be based around pre 2016 Merrett, not extremely lucrative. If I was the club Id go to him with an offer.
We will scrap your remaining 2 years, start your new contract now but our offer is 80% of your market value.

So in essence he gets a big pay rise for the next 2 years but his remaining 3 will be around 20% less than he could get if he waits out the next 2 years and then resigns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was this guy who kicked 926 goals who went ok too
Yes I did get a bit too excited. I am still very excited by his potential though and if I had to guess I think he'll end up being as good as or better than ol mate Heppell. Exciting to have both though.

Great stat from The Age - he's in excellent company:

"Since 1974, only one man has polled more votes than Zach Merrett in a team that has won fewer than four games – Gary Ablett Jr who did it twice for Gold Coast in 2012 (24) and 2011 (23)."

"Since 1974, only one man has polled more votes than Zach Merrett in a team that has won fewer than four games – Gary Ablett Jr who did it twice for Gold Coast in 2012 (24) and 2011 (23)."
And Gary Ablett had already won a brownlow by then, established himself, and was older than 20. What a jet Merrett is

This is going in my bio. Elite company.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back