AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before and I'll waffle on about it again..the bloke is a Ben Cousins clone.

Aggressive every minute of the game, has smart, quick polished skills in every dept and can run all day long.

We're blessed.

I've said it before and I'll waffle on about it again..the bloke is a Ben Cousins clone.

Aggressive every minute of the game, has smart, quick polished skills in every dept and can run all day long.

We're blessed.
Apart from the driving desire to smash every drug under the sun, right? Right?!!

We're blessed.
I feel like he's more Mitchell and Parish is the Ben Cousins clone, he even has the same running style

I feel like he's more Mitchell and Parish is the Ben Cousins clone, he even has the same running style
I actually thought parish is very similar to cousins the other night.

Any or both would be great.

Lots of money coming for him on the Brownlow market.
There's 4 or 5 blokes at SEN who have him as their pick.

I reckon he could give top 10 a nudge. In a game that has Fyfe, Danger, S Mitchell at West coast (lots of wins at home) I don't think he can win it though.

Would probably have Jobe and Hep stealing votes as well

I reckon he could give top 10 a nudge. In a game that has Fyfe, Danger, S Mitchell at West coast (lots of wins at home) I don't think he can win it though.

Would probably have Jobe and Hep stealing votes as well
Is there anything that really backs up the stealing votes theory? Kinda seems like if a guy is really good and his team wins a bunch the votes come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anything that really backs up the stealing votes theory? Kinda seems like if a guy is really good and his team wins a bunch the votes come.
Danger had Selwood stealing votes and he smashed it in. So i'm with you, the theory doesn't hold up.

If a player is good enough to get votes, he'll get votes

There is limited number of votes that can be obtained so yes vote stealing is a thing. Merrett's problem will be that Essendon is unlikely to win enough games for him to win if the likes of Watson and Heppell earn, say, 10-15 votes. Now if neither of those guys gets a lot of votes then he is in with a big shot.

Dangerfield, by comparison, may have had Selwood but Geelong won 17 games and finished second on the ladder. Furthermore, Geelong last season was very top heavy with Corey Enright their third best votegetter on eight. Perhaps the best recent example of vote stealing occurs at Sydney where Parker, Hannebery, Kennedy, Franklin and Mitchell all in double figures.

Last edited:
There is limited number of votes that can be obtained so yes vote stealing is a thing. Merrett's problem will be that Essendon is unlikely to win enough games for him to win if the likes of Watson and Heppell earn, say, 10-15 votes. Now if neither of those guys gets a lot of votes then he is in with a big shot.

Dangerfield, by comparison, may have had Selwood but Geelong won 17 games and finished second on the ladder. Furthermore, Geelong last season was very top heavy with Joel Corey their third best votegetter on eight. Perhaps the best recent example of vote stealing occurs at Sydney where Parker, Hannebery, Kennedy, Franklin and Mitchell all in double figures.

Said better than i could. Its pronounced when you have a group of players all at the same level. Danger and even fyfe are so far ahead of the rest of the players they get the 3s and the rest fight over the scraps.
In a team like ours we dont get the wins and we have 3-4 players to share. Merret isnt a standout over hep or jobe.

Dangerfield, by comparison, may have had Selwood but Geelong won 17 games and finished second on the ladder. Furthermore, Geelong last season was very top heavy with Joel Corey their third best votegetter on eight. Perhaps the best recent example of vote stealing occurs at Sydney where Parker, Hannebery, Kennedy, Franklin and Mitchell all in double figures.
Didn't know Corey was still down at the Cats.

Well like you said there's only so many votes to be given so the technicality is that it is a thing, there's no getting around that, but I don't think it's really an issue for the real top tier guys that are truly deserving of the award. You can argue that guys (like the Sydney group) might get votes their ability wouldn't otherwise get them not surrounded by such a great group of players that allow them to thrive in a winning team as much as I think you can say they might have some taken away as a result of that environment.

This kid thinks that we can win the premiership. Said it today.

He is just such a likeable person with his determination and hard work.

You just know you'll get 100% from him every week. Even if you don't win the premiership Zach, at least we're happy that you've given it your all thinking that we would.

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't realise that the AFL website would make a whole article about this.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-23/bombers-can-win-the-flag-says-bullish-merrett

Last edited:
This kid thinks that we can win the premiership. Said it today.

He is just such a likeable person with his determination and hard work.

You just know you'll get 100% from him every week. Even if you don't win the premiership Zach, at least we're happy that you've given it your all thinking that we would.

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't realise that the AFL website would make a whole article about this.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-23/bombers-can-win-the-flag-says-bullish-merrett

The kid is hungry for success hopefully it filters through the team.

I would be more concerned if Zack said we were no chance for the eight, quite frankly if come round 1, if any club is not eyeing September then they should just refund your members money and go to Bali for six months.

Woosha made the point that Zacky was referring to the Dogs finishing 7th last season with 15 wins, although he did add that if a side made the 8 with say 12 wins then it would be harder for them to win it than it was for the Dogs.

Perusing the odds for the most possessions/most tackles on corruptbet.com, noticed the clear favourite is Zach Merret/Zach Merret at 8:1. Next combo Merret/Mitchell(?) is 17/1.
All this to say _ Zerrett, legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back