AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

07 - merrett.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 10, I Remember Bluey

Last edited by a moderator:
1450323_10200290299218957_164615494_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Zach Merrett!

Height: 179 cm
Weight: 76kg
D/O/B: 3/10/1995
Position: Anywhere, can be played all over the ground
Recruited From: Sandringham Dragons

Key Strengths:
  • Extremely smart decision maker, always looks for a better option
  • Knows where to find the goals
  • Great kick, extremely clean hands
  • Kicks on both feet, models himself on Sam Mitchell
Weaknesses:
  • Occasionally tries to thump the ball for no real reason
  • Hasn't experienced a full pre-season yet due to prior cricket commitments
A great steal for us. Merrett, like his older brother Jackson, has a real burst of pace and X-Factor about him, and shares the classy ball use. At Sandringham in 2013, he averaged a stellar 26 disposals per game, and developed his composure at a super quick rate. He has drawn some criticism for some questionable disposal at times, but has quickly corrected that. An extremely talented small midfielder who can play at both ends of the ground.

Video highlights are here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elite foot skills are not something that is easy to coach. Amazed he lasted till 26, sort of glad St Kilda took a smokey with one of their 18/19 picks, and Geelong taking Lang helped too.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Welcome to the greatest club in the world Zach.

Reckon he will take #19 next to Jackson?

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Elite foot skills are not something that is easy to coach. Amazed he lasted till 26, sort of glad St Kilda took a smokey with one of their 18/19 picks, and Geelong taking Lang helped too.
Who out of Dunstan/Acres was a smokey?

Im happy with him because hes a bit different to what we already have in regards to elite skills, lefty, good decision maker and hes a decent size. Dont know who id compare him to.

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Well according to our drafting team, they rated him as Top 15.. so thats how many years in a row now we've taken sliders?
Did we even have to spread rumours this time around? :p

Well according to our drafting team, they rated him as Top 15.. so thats how many years in a row now we've taken sliders?
Did we even have to spread rumours this time around? :p

Nah, I bet Zach just told everybody that he wanted to play with his older brother

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Anyone know his endurance/tank?

Seems we have moved on from the converting of halfbacks to mids and now stacking our side with small undersized half forward flankers

Who out of Dunstan/Acres was a smokey?

Im happy with him because hes a bit different to what we already have in regards to elite skills, lefty, good decision maker and hes a decent size. Dont know who id compare him to.

The Gold Coast pick, got them mixed up, was trying to remember which one.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm pretty excited that we have a pair of brothers at the club. Plus I've been a fan of Jackson Merrett since I first saw him and the idea of having another one sounds pretty good to me.

Also I like that we went with some pacy options this year, our list was becoming a little one-paced so now I think we are better balanced in that respect. We also could afford to get a few shorter guys given we already have a few taller midfielders. Plus guys with good foot skills + pace + decent ball winning capability are extremely valuable as a combination. Nice pick up.

Anyone know his endurance/tank?

Seems we have moved on from the converting of halfbacks to mids and now stacking our side with small undersized half forward flankers

Wasn't that one of his strong points pre-draft? Could be wrong though!

Westlo

All Australian
Mar 29, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Everton FC
It took us ages to pick him, but I am glad we did!

Probably tossing up between him, Dumont and Taylor, either one would've been a great pick up.

I hope Taylor isn't the one we let get away... though a lot of clubs passed on him, some multiple times.

I hope they give him number 19. I really think this could bring the best out of both players, was super surprised that Gold Coast didn't take JK as well as KK.
The Merrett Brothers.
Let's hope they're our Burgoyne's, Cornes' or Scott brothers.

Back