AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Only positive is he lifted dramatically in the second half, but still lacks the mongrel that made him so dangerous.

Do have to wonder about the concussion.

Merrett has not done much of what made him a really great young prospect for a long time now.

He used to be manic, rolling up opponents in jujitsu-like maneuvers, just to lay a tackle, in his first few years.

It's not a criticism of him to say that he we really need to tread carefully playing him inside. He's a bit of a nugget but he's still very light for an inside player. It has to take a huge toll on his body.

Do have to wonder about the concussion.

Merrett has not done much of what made him a really great young prospect for a long time now.

He used to be manic, rolling up opponents in jujitsu-like maneuvers, just to lay a tackle, in his first few years.

It's not a criticism of him to say that he we really need to tread carefully playing him inside. He's a bit of a nugget but he's still very light for an inside player. It has to take a huge toll on his body.

Definitely think there is something underlying from the consecutive knocks, his subconscious holding him back to protect himself.

I thought after Q1 he played pretty decently and seemed more like his normal self including laying some good tackles. Still made a few big mistakes there was the risky kick across the middle which I didn't mind so much since it was a proactive mistake and then the hospital handball which was awful. That said the way people are carrying on in here you'd think he had the worst game on our team. Managed to get the ball 28 times whilst being tagged and used it well for the most part.

The real problem is that most of our midfielders can't hit a bloody target no matter how much time you give them, so that's why Merrett always gets tagged. Zaharakis for an outside midfielder misses so many targets under little pressure that its just crazy.

Playing like he has the ability of Jackson and 1/3rd the intent

I'm starting to wonder if he is dirty on the club for delisting Jackson, for a bloke that makes himself out to be fully focused on winning his form and is body language doesn't look right.

I'm starting to wonder if he is dirty on the club for delisting Jackson, for a bloke that makes himself out to be fully focused on winning his form and is body language doesn't look right.

The club couldn't have done much more for Jackson. We paid him a small fortune for years to pretend to be an AFL footballer.

I think the most likely explanation is that he is still underdone.

I think AFL players are fairly philosophical about their careers. They'd go into knowing that the average career is about 3 years and a lot of players come and go without even getting a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boy there’s some absolute dribble written here. The guy is out of form not because of his brother being delisted? And not because of head knocks. I’d definitely say it has something to do with ankle injury and match fitness lost as a result. I’d then go further to say our midfield has adopted a passenger run in front of the ball carrier culture. The midfield as a whole not just Zach needs to change their approach.

I didn't think he played that badly. Actually had a fair few good kicks and possessions that opened up the game. Think it's unfair to focus on a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes such as the dropped marks and the hospital handball to Pidge, was on the rise after an interupted pre-season and a 'virus' all while taking the tag.

Boy there’s some absolute dribble written here. The guy is out of form not because of his brother being delisted? And not because of head knocks. I’d definitely say it has something to do with ankle injury and match fitness lost as a result. I’d then go further to say our midfield has adopted a passenger run in front of the ball carrier culture. The midfield as a whole not just Zach needs to change their approach.

Its fine to have a crack at a comment but don't be shy and actually quote the comment.

There is a thing called tongue in cheek. Jackson helped bring Zach to the club, of course I am aware Zach suffered an injury during the preseason and that may still be bothering him and as Bruno mentioned he is prone to concession and he did suffer a heavy knock during the Giants game although he didn't leave the field.

Quality player and started to turn it around in the second half. Will come good.

Do worry about him playing inside and the head knocks - he’s at his best as a first receiver type, doesn’t have the frame to go toe to toe with the big boys.

Also worry he will be targeted in the future and that he has almost no protection.

Quality player and started to turn it around in the second half. Will come good.

Do worry about him playing inside and the head knocks - he’s at his best as a first receiver type, doesn’t have the frame to go toe to toe with the big boys.

Also worry he will be targeted in the future and that he has almost no protection.

If only our other midfielders would actually block and help him shake a tag. Instead of the usual Essendon method of every man for himself.

Agree that he’s not the in and under type, better off bringing D.Clarke in and playing him in that role and trying to release Merrett / McGrath / Fantasia / Smith by hand. Shiel and Stringer both have the power to break out of a tackle that those guys don’t.

Also doesn’t help that Fantasia and Tipungwuti are struggling for form, Zaharakis can’t hit a target, and we’ve got no real play-makers in the midfield other than Zac.

Ridley coming back in and playing on a wing instead of Zaharakis might be worthwhile, his kicking is a threat at least, and he doesn’t have the same knack for landing the ball on the oppositions chest that Zaharakis does.

If only our other midfielders would actually block and help him shake a tag. Instead of the usual Essendon method of every man for himself.

Agree that he’s not the in and under type, better off bringing D.Clarke in and playing him in that role and trying to release Merrett / McGrath / Fantasia / Smith by hand. Shiel and Stringer both have the power to break out of a tackle that those guys don’t.

Also doesn’t help that Fantasia and Tipungwuti are struggling for form, Zaharakis can’t hit a target, and we’ve got no real play-makers in the midfield other than Zac.

Ridley coming back in and playing on a wing instead of Zaharakis might be worthwhile, his kicking is a threat at least, and he doesn’t have the same knack for landing the ball on the oppositions chest that Zaharakis does.
Stop using oxymorons.

Its fine to have a crack at a comment but don't be shy and actually quote the comment.

There is a thing called tongue in cheek. Jackson helped bring Zach to the club, of course I am aware Zach suffered an injury during the preseason and that may still be bothering him and as Bruno mentioned he is prone to concession and he did suffer a heavy knock during the Giants game although he didn't leave the field.

I love how peeps hate it when you dont quote them? ummm maybe i'm getting too old for this but if thats the worst thing in your day the I'd say you've had a pretty good day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back