AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you lot are very reactionary.
Zac has maybe been our most consistent player over the last 3 years.
Has a slow start last year due to no fault of his own and came back to have a really good season.
This year has been injured in the pre-season, carried an illness into the GWS game.
Played much better against the Saints and is working into form.
If you're looking for a scapegoat i can think of some better candidates.

JuniorWatch From my perspective, he isn't a scapegoat, he is just not delivering his usual standard. If he was ill against GWS he should not have played. As a member of the leadership group, he should be setting good examples, not playing sick and failing to meet the necessary effort standards. Everybody was pretty annoyed at Joe for playing with OP when he shouldn't have... Not saying that illness/flu is the same as OP, but you cannot argue it didn't effect his game.

As for the Saints game, he did play much better, but there were still some outliers that haven't always been a concern with Zac, e.g. the hospital handball and some of his defensive work.

Agree with the first point, he shouldn't have played. But it explains how he played.
With the second point I would you say that shouldn't look too much into it as he's been so consistent for so many years, its only the second game of the season and he's coming off a limited pre-season. Bit unfair to nitpick things like a poor handball or a missed tackle unless it's part of steady decline in form, which IMO, it isn't.

Just thought I would give this guy a bump because he plays for us (in case you all forgot) and doesn't deserve to be languishing on page 3.

Welcome back Zac :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:Joey
i love his best. The little handball back into corridor, barely looking, to open up paddock was beautiful.

Disposal is elite. Needs to keep using it.
Need not send Jackson in his place if he wants a longer break next time. just ask!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher's were the wrong decision compounded by skill errors. At least Tippa and Merrett made the right calls just had uncharacteristic skill errors. I've literally never seen Walla get under the ball like that on a kick.
Finals like pressure, though Walla has been able to perform under extreme pressure before, so yeah uncharacteristic.

Was an emotionally intelligent article and sadly, brave also. I say ‘sadly’ because it’s sad that anyone would need to be brave to write an article supporting women against a culture of sexism. If you read the comments on the Facebook page it’s full of the ignorance that he is trying to enlighten. They are flat out trying to silence him by demeaning his right to speak out, telling him he should stick to playing football and not subject them to his ‘politics’. I’m pretty sure that treating women with respect goes far beyond politics. Why is it that men in footy continue to be so intimidated by a conversation about equality? It made me feel extreme disappointment in my fellow Essendon supporters reading some of the nonsense on there. I know some of you here probably feel the same, thinking Zach should stick to the footy, but it’s time some of you opened your minds a little bit to the idea of men calling out a sexist culture because that’s what real men should be doing.

just remember bombers fans...john worsfold is a premiership player....and now a coach...he did not end up at windy hill for nothing....he knew the future of this club is another flag...he is my ideal candidate for this....if not this year ....
count on the the next....
go bombers

Was an emotionally intelligent article and sadly, brave also. I say ‘sadly’ because it’s sad that anyone would need to be brave to write an article supporting women against a culture of sexism. If you read the comments on the Facebook page it’s full of the ignorance that he is trying to enlighten. They are flat out trying to silence him by demeaning his right to speak out, telling him he should stick to playing football and not subject them to his ‘politics’. I’m pretty sure that treating women with respect goes far beyond politics. Why is it that men in footy continue to be so intimidated by a conversation about equality? It made me feel extreme disappointment in my fellow Essendon supporters reading some of the nonsense on there. I know some of you here probably feel the same, thinking Zach should stick to the footy, but it’s time some of you opened your minds a little bit to the idea of men calling out a sexist culture because that’s what real men should be doing.

I agree but please don't extrapolate Facebook comments to what the majority think.

I agree but please don't extrapolate Facebook comments to what the majority think.
I wasn’t intending to extrapolate as a majority issue so I apologise there. When I said I am disappointed in my fellow Essendon supporters what I should’ve said is I’m disappointed in those particular Essendon supporters.

Apparently equality means protecting women and if there is a male victim spinning it so the real victim is women.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. In my view it simply means advocating women's and girls' rights to be treated equally and with dignity and respect. The words are fine but the action is harder. Equal pay for the same work and equal distribution of jobs is more challenging, such is the capitalist way. Even the professional tennis circuit haven't worked it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back