• Rock.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Disco.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rock Arena?

There was a program on SBS hosted by Basia Bonkowski that was OK.

Ten had an all-night music show simply called "Music Video", the precursor to MTV in this country. That was how I got hooked on the music I still like. But we're getting into the 80's now.

Can't spell today - that is correct "Rock Arena". It was an 80's show, so I got that wrong also - but it did show a lot of 70's concerts. I have the VHS of KISS live in Japan. Awesome footage.

Thanks for the info, I had both those names floating around in my head, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I reckon that Nightmoves show hosted by Lee Simon was the very, very best music show I've ever seen on TV. The thing I clearly remember is that it covered completely different music to Countdown (top 40), being more rock and album oriented. Sounds Unlimited was probably somewhere in between the two.

If you want to hear the Nightmoves theme music again listen to "Parkers Band" by steely Dan from the Pretzel Logic album. Great guitar. Sorry for the long quote but I'm not sure how to select it on the iPad.

Rock Arena?

Ten had an all-night music show simply called "Music Video", the precursor to MTV in this country. That was how I got hooked on the music I still like. But we're getting into the 80's now.

The great Melbourne band Painters and Dockers wrote and recorded a song titled "Basia" as a tribute to the great lady. With her spiky red dyed hair and smooth voice she was very cool at the time.

When JB HiFi started out they had just one shop near our school in Keilor. It was awesome. He used I Need Love to test out his speakers . I still have speakers I bought off him back in the 70s

Rock Arena?

Was that the one that had an instrumental version of a Hunters and Collectors track? That was cool

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my favourite videos - love the simplicity of it, the way you can see their breath in the cold as they work away, the powerhouse rhythm and Emmerson's keyboard freakout. Amazing how he got all those different effects!

To do a quick run through my memories of the 70s ........

My first concert was at Festival Hall - Deep Purple, Free, Mannfred Mann [feat. excellent guitar by Aussie Chris Rogers, ex Procession] and Pirana. Spewin I missed Pink Floyd in 71. Went to see Led Zeppelin at Kooyong, and quite a few others at Festival Hall - Santana and Jethro Tull a couple of times and Yes. Toward the end of the 70s I recall going to see Sweet Jayne and Kevin Borich at Bombay Rock and various other places [the first being Elsternwick Footy Oval for KB], Stiletto and others at the Polaris in Carlton as friends owned it and I worked there for a while. Missed early Cold Chisel :(
My turntable got a workout with T Rex' Hot Love, Black Night and Deep Purple In Rock, Zep, the Who with Tommy and The Who Sell Out, InAGadaDaVida, John Lennon's first solo LPs and Chicago 1 and 2 to start off with, then had the joy of discovering the Moody Blues and Yes.

The End

Back