VFL Past #74: Riley Bowman

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 198 cm
Weight: 89 kg
DOB: 25/09/00
Position: Ruck/Forward
Recruited From: Sandringham Zebras

Bowman has impressed as the 23rd player, becoming the first choice ruck of the VFL list.

Really liking what I am seeing from Riley. He is everything he was last year at NAB League (TAC Cup) level last year. His aggression is a standout, often competing against guys taller than him.

His mobility to win the ball around the ground has really impressed me as well. Averaging 12 touches and over 4 marks a game is impressive from a 19 year old top up/23rd player. Is really off setting the loss of Draper and (perhaps) keeping out Zac Clarke.

Just on Draper, I would have loved to see him (as #1) and Bowman as a tall forward to see if his forward craft would be worth while drafting him. Alas, Bowman's impressive first handful of games has him firmly on my radar anyways. Him and Nino Lazzaro are the two guys I'd be looking at from our VFL list at the moment. Bowma first, almost as early as the 20's.

Really liking what I am seeing from Riley. He is everything he was last year at NAB League (TAC Cup) level last year. His aggression is a standout, often competing against guys taller than him.

His mobility to win the ball around the ground has really impressed me as well. Averaging 12 touches and over 4 marks a game is impressive from a 19 year old top up/23rd player. Is really off setting the loss of Draper and (perhaps) keeping out Zac Clarke.

Just on Draper, I would have loved to see him (as #1) and Bowman as a tall forward to see if his forward craft would be worth while drafting him. Alas, Bowman's impressive first handful of games has him firmly on my radar anyways. Him and Nino Lazzaro are the two guys I'd be looking at from our VFL list at the moment. Bowma first, almost as early as the 20's.
I really don't think he's keeping Clarke out. Whilst he was very impressive against Port, if Clarke had played he would have had 50 hit outs IMO. That being said, I would definitely take him with one of our selections, I would be keen to see him and Gown become a really good forward duo next year.

I really don't think he's keeping Clarke out. Whilst he was very impressive against Port, if Clarke had played he would have had 50 hit outs IMO. That being said, I would definitely take him with one of our selections, I would be keen to see him and Gown become a really good forward duo next year.

I was more thinking 80+ against a kid haha

Bowman must be coming into contention for a few teams if they are watching.

The other tall from last years Stingrays outfit (Bailey Schmidt) has played the last two games for the Dolphins and been 'ok' for them. Bowman has been the more impressive imho.

I was more thinking 80+ against a kid haha

Bowman must be coming into contention for a few teams if they are watching.

The other tall from last years Stingrays outfit (Bailey Schmidt) has played the last two games for the Dolphins and been 'ok' for them. Bowman has been the more impressive imho.
Don't think there were enough stoppages for that.

Yep, and they would be. Is it time to hide him and then get him back for finals?

is he tall enough?

strikes me as the mckernan awkard size where just not big enough to combat the monsters, as shown in the past few weeks?

His bash and crash style is ok. It is his smarts that intrigues me. For a developing tall he is quite mobile and has a willingness to get his hands dirty.

For me is better as a forward/ruck rather than ruck/forward but absolutely deserves a spot on our list next year regardless, was very stiff not to be taken last year.
Agreed. Would definitely take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked good but maybe a little undersized for full-time ruck duties?

Definitely.

I think he has good enough ruck and midfield craft that he could legitimately become a follower we'd turn to with confidence but that's a while off.

You don't have to win hitouts to be effective in the ruck.

At the end Hille was a good example. Mumford did a reasonable job on Grundy yesterday to negate the range of options Grundy had (his 300 hit outs were largely ineffective).

Both Hille and Mumford were massive physical presences and I don't think Bowman has the rig to carry that much weight but with 10 to 15kgs and his mobility he can definitely do a job here and there.

what is he like as a forward? Could he be a legitimate option to play forward effectively (i.e. come in as the new Joey eventually)
Think he projects as a Josh Jenkins type. He certainly knows his way around goals and isn’t just a mark and kick forward either as his ground level work is decent for his size and I think plays best as a deeper forward rather than a roaming one up the ground.

what is he like as a forward? Could he be a legitimate option to play forward effectively (i.e. come in as the new Joey eventually)
Not that good. Could be a David Hale type, a 20 goal, 12 touch, 4 mark, 18 touch forward/ruck

I’m not following you here, Eth.
Last one was supposed to be hit out.

Not that good as in not as good as Daniher.

Last one was supposed to be hit out.

Not that good as in not as good as Daniher.
Sorry mate, not picking s**t. Genuinely interested in what people are saying about Bowman. I reckon he might be a good project player to have developing in the reserves but not sure whether he is the answer to our tuck issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back