VFL Past #74: Riley Bowman

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry mate, not picking s**t. Genuinely interested in what people are saying about Bowman. I reckon he might be a good project player to have developing in the reserves but not sure whether he is the answer to our tuck issues.
No, I understand.

I think he's a chance of being David Hale, which other than Brad Ottens, is the modern benchmark as a forward/ruck.

I'd say Bowman would be more like Taberner as a forward or Shaun McKernan generally. His current game is suited to playing as more of a CHF where he can put his work rate to advantage.

While he's shown some ability to pull down contested marks it wont work at AFL level yet, if it ever does.

Hale was hardly renowned for his mobility and round the ground work. He was a lead-mark forward who was probably at his best under the high ball (where he was one of the few players to get hold of Scarlett).

The reason Bowman is even in the conversation as an AFL player is due to his general mobility, work rate and his ability as a follower.

It makes no sense to compare him to Hale regardless of how where his numbers end up. Might as well compare him to Bellchambers.

The difficult thing to anticipate with Bowman is his physical development. Taberner is a machine and McKernan is as strong as an ox.

Bowman is young and lanky, basically the same physical dimensions as McKernan though he's a bit taller than Smack.

His strength seems to me to be the main issue. If he can fill out into something similar to McKernan he'll end up basically the same type of player.

Have not seen Smack's streak for the mercurial in Bowman but he's a better ruck technician.

Last edited:

Cheers for the answers.
A Hale type, where he can excel as a forward (doesnt need to be elite) and pinch in the ruck is what i'd be looking at to fill some depth.

Daniher goes; A mature replacement for immediate & Bowman being developed would give me a level of comfort we have stocks to call on

Box Hill is probably the dumbest club he could have joined. Would get games at Frankston, Sandy, and pretty much any other club in the east except Casey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back