VFL Past #75: Kurt Aylett

Remove this Banner Ad

Will he be picked up by another club?

My issue is with the way selection of players for us has become, at best, about first come first serve.

The young players have generally been held to a standard for selection that hardly any of the incumbent best 22 players would have gotten close to meeting during the period in which they have played their 70 to 100 games largely unchallenged at the selection table.

What was noticeable from early on last year was that Aylett was fearless in terms of his attack on the ball and a manic tackler. We knew from his ability to smoke anyone other than Rayner and Ambrose in a time trail that he can seriously run and he seemed to translate that into ground covered on field (where he has a better turn of pace than Ambrose does).

When I look at his form throughout 2014 and the defensive discipline he displayed it's very hard to reconcile it with his demotion and I doubt that it is about more than his being on the list a year too late and Hird not being around last year (giving Hird the credit of consistently applying his obsession with players with Aylett's work rate).

The opportunity to develop his raw attributes, which are far greater than some of the players we have chosen over him, was ours and given his age likely to be ours alone but we seem to have declined.

I don't see why another club would bother drafting him, he will be 24 and is not the sort of player that clubs are going to look to develop given that it is important to continually turn players on a list over to keep the age profile balanced. It doesn't mean that he can't play. All it really means is that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:
My issue is with the way selection of players for us has become, at best, about first come first serve.

The young players have generally been held to a standard for selection that hardly any of the incumbent best 22 players would have gotten close to meeting during the period in which they have played their 70 to 100 games largely unchallenged at the selection table.

What was noticeable from early on last year was that Aylett was fearless in terms of his attack on the ball and a manic tackler. We knew from his ability to smoke anyone other than Rayner and Ambrose in a time trail that he can seriously run and he seemed to translate that into ground covered on field (where he has a better turn of pace than Ambrose does).

When I look at his form throughout 2014 and the defensive discipline he displayed it's very hard to reconcile it with his demotion and I doubt that it is about more than his being on the list a year too late and Hird not being around last year (giving Hird the credit of consistently applying his obsession with players with Aylett's work rate).

The opportunity to develop his raw attributes, which are far greater than some of the players we have chosen over him, was ours and given his age likely to be ours alone but we seem to have chose not to take it.

I don't see why another club would bother drafting him, he will be 24 and is not the sort of player that clubs are going to look to develop given that it is important to continually turn players on a list over to keep the age profile balanced. It doesn't mean that he can't play. All it really means is that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
good bloke, good family, great attitude
i hope he makes it off the rookie list

good bloke, good family, great attitude
i hope he makes it off the rookie list
I spoke to him at the sponsor night. He is indeed a great bloke and I left that really hoping he could pick himself up off the canvas.

I still don't really understand why he was demoted and it means he faces an uphill battle to make it.

I spoke to him at the sponsor night. He is indeed a great bloke and I left that really hoping he could pick himself up off the canvas.

I still don't really understand why he was demoted and it means he faces an uphill battle to make it.
it sounds like the cliche 'he barracked for Essendon as a kid' but i think his family are pretty dyed in the wool bombers, they hail from nearby in the Riverina
it's a bit hazy but the story goes something like they all changed to GWS when he got drafted to GWS except his grandfather who stayed with the bombers

I think it was a case of being the steak knives in the Edwards pick up that he was never really going to be a long term prospect unless he showed that he was undroppable when he came in. I guess when your die is already cast before you even play a game for the new club, it makes it inevitable. Sometimes, very good players just don't make it due to circumstances out of their control and I think this is what is happening here.

Is there anyone we can chuck on the LTI now so we can give this guy a couple of runs before the end of the year. Might as well give all the rookies a go at senior level given the seasons a write-off and who knows - we just might unearth another Peverill....

Is there anyone we can chuck on the LTI now so we can give this guy a couple of runs before the end of the year. Might as well give all the rookies a go at senior level given the seasons a write-off and who knows - we just might unearth another Peverill....

We don't need to put anyone on the LTI, we can still upgrade another rookie due to Watson AND a second rookie through mid season promotion.

So we could elevate Aylett and McKenna if we wanted to.

I'd prefer to see McKenna though.

I think he has been told already that he will be delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for Aylett. I feel like being injured for the NAB cup where everyone got a chance really hurt his prospects. All it would have taken was one good game go set himself above Hams, O'Brien and Kavanagh imo.

Has some much more to offer then Obrien. Wish he has of played at least 5 afl games this year he would of proved it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back