Phantom Draft 75 phantom drafts analysis - whose is best? Now includes 2016, 2017 and 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
2017 drafts analysis starts at post 44.
2018 start at post 61.

Inspired by GHS33 and a hope that my club would pick up Sam Petrevski-Seton, I decided to place as many Phantom drafts as I could find on a spreadsheet for analysis. I am looking forward to seeing who picks the draft most accurately from the furthest out. Of course, we will only have a true idea of who was most accurate when the players prove themselves over their career. Also, the Phantom drafts, Mock drafts and Ratings have different purposes: they can be an indication of who the poster rates, which players the clubs should prefer and where the players are likely to go in the draft. Nevertheless I looked for as many as I could find.

I have found 51 phantom drafts and rankings so far. 12 come from outside the BigFooty site. They range from top two rounds to complete attempts. I didn't include posters who only made first round predictions, as I don't think it would help the statistics. I haven't included Rookie draft phantoms, and I've included lists that aren't really phantoms if they have a numbering system.
I think grundog49's list of players to watch that came out at Christmas, and Knightmare's mammoth efforts have been very influential, but I couldn't find a complete ranking from those posters from the beginning of the year.

Overall 147 players have been selected in the 51 drafts.

13 players have been listed in each of the 51 drafts:
They are (order, average draft pick):
McCluggage (1st,1.6)
McGrath (2nd,2.5)
Ainsworth (3rd,4.7)
Bowes (4th,4.8)
Petrevski-Seton (5th,6.3)
Brodie (6th,6.3)
Setterfield (7th,7.5)
Taranto (8th,7.5)
Scrimshaw (9th,10.1)
English (10th,11.1)
Marshall (15th,15.8)
Berry (16th,16.4)
Battle (22nd,23.8)

Logue(11th,13.6), Perryman (12th,13.7), Florent (13th,15.4), (Venables (14th,15.4), Simpkin (17th, 16.9),Haywood (18th, 20.8), Powell-Pepper (19th, 20.9), Witherden (20th,21.7) and Gallucci (21st, 22.0) also featured in the top players, but were not selected in all 36 drafts.

28 players were mentioned only once in the phantom drafts. It will be interesting to see who, if any, of these dark horses get drafted.
6 of these players were mentioned in The BigFooty trial run in August, while the West Coast Eagles board draft mentioned 5, Quigley's Draft Ratings mentioned 4, the Carlton board Phantom Draft #2 mentioned 3, AFL DraftCentral, Snoop Dog and Chris25 (in his October Phantom Draft) mentioned 2, but no other draft had more than one.

Of the players mentioned six or more times, Reece Piper, Liam Ryan, Rowan Marshall, Jake Pitman and Max Lynch had the most variation in draft predictions.

Jacob Allison, Brandon Parfitt and Alex Villis (for obvious reason) seemed to be the biggest sliders over the course of the season, while Josh Rotham, Quinton Narkle and Joseph Atley also slid.

Taranto, Venables, Florent and Esava Ratugolea (obviously not as high as the first three) were the bolters over the course of the phantom drafts.

I know, what a waste of time. But I enjoyed doing it, so no. And over the last few years, I've been less impressed with the Journos who give really accurate top 30s a day or two before the actual draft, than with the posters on this board who give early insights to a player's prospects. The earlier the phantom, the more we get to learn about the young players, I reckon. The other issue is that when posters tinker with their drafts in the last few days based on rumours, inside knowledge or feedback, we usually lose their earlier opinions.

It's only a few days to the draft now. If anyone can help me with the best spreadsheet function to compare the phantom draft numbers with real draft picks, I'd be grateful. I've only put draft numbers for each player, so don't have recorded which clubs players are predicted to go to. With trading of picks and movement of picks because of academy bids, I thought that would be too hard. Even so, I'd like a good system to recognise drafts where the correct draft picks are predicted, or where there is a near miss.

Last edited:
Inspired by GHS33 and a hope that my club would pick up Sam Petrevski-Seton, I decided to place as many Phantom drafts as I could find on a spreadsheet for analysis. I am looking forward to seeing who picks the draft most accurately from the furthest out. Of course, we will only have a true idea of who was most accurate when the players prove themselves over their career. Also, the Phantom drafts, Mock drafts and Ratings have different purposes: they can be an indication of who the poster rates, which players the clubs should prefer and where the players are likely to go in the draft. Nevertheless I looked for as many as I could find.

I have found 51 phantom drafts and rankings so far. 12 come from outside the BigFooty site. They range from top two rounds to complete attempts. I didn't include posters who only made first round predictions, as I don't think it would help the statistics. I haven't included Rookie draft phantoms, and I've included lists that aren't really phantoms if they have a numbering system.
I think grundog49's list of players to watch that came out at Christmas, and Knightmare's mammoth efforts have been very influential, but I couldn't find a complete ranking from those posters from the beginning of the year.

McCluggage (1st,1.6)
McGrath (2nd,2.5)
Ainsworth (3rd,4.7)
Bowes (4th,4.8)
Brodie (6th,6.3)
Setterfield (7th,7.5)
Taranto (8th,7.5)
Scrimshaw (9th,10.1)
English (10th,11.1)
Marshall (15th,15.8)
Berry (16th,16.4)
Battle (22nd,23.8)

Logue(11th,13.6), Perryman (12th,13.7), Florent (13th,15.4), (Venables (14th,15.4), Simpkin (17th, 16.9),Haywood (18th, 20.8), Powell-Pepper (19th, 20.9), Witherden (20th,21.7) and Gallucci (21st, 22.0) also featured in the top players, but were not selected in all 36 drafts.

28 players were mentioned only once in the phantom drafts. It will be interesting to see who, if any, of these dark horses get drafted.
6 of these players were mentioned in The BigFooty trial run in August, while the West Coast Eagles board draft mentioned 5, Quigley's Draft Ratings mentioned 4, the Carlton board Phantom Draft #2 mentioned 3, AFL DraftCentral, Snoop Dog and Chris25 (in his October Phantom Draft) mentioned 2, but no other draft had more than one.

Of the players mentioned six or more times, Reece Piper, Liam Ryan, Rowan Marshall, Jake Pitman and Max Lynch had the most variation in draft predictions.

Jacob Allison, Brandon Parfitt and Alex Villis (for obvious reason) seemed to be the biggest sliders over the course of the season, while Josh Rotham, Quinton Narkle and Joseph Atley also slid.

Taranto, Venables, Florent and Esava Ratugolea (obviously not as high as the first three) were the bolters over the course of the phantom drafts.

I know, what a waste of time. But I enjoyed doing it, so no. And over the last few years, I've been less impressed with the Journos who give really accurate top 30s a day or two before the actual draft, than with the posters on this board who give early insights to a player's prospects. The earlier the phantom, the more we get to learn about the young players, I reckon. The other issue is that when posters tinker with their drafts in the last few days based on rumours, inside knowledge or feedback, we usually lose their earlier opinions.

It's only a few days to the draft now. If anyone can help me with the best spreadsheet function to compare the phantom draft numbers with real draft picks, I'd be grateful. I've only put draft numbers for each player, so don't have recorded which clubs players are predicted to go to. With trading of picks and movement of picks because of academy bids, I thought that would be too hard. Even so, I'd like a good system to recognise drafts where the correct draft picks are predicted, or where there is a near miss.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd
Good work

McCluggage (1st,1.6)
McGrath (2nd,2.5)
Ainsworth (3rd,4.7)
Bowes (4th,4.8)
Brodie (6th,6.3)
Setterfield (7th,7.5)
Taranto (8th,7.5)
Scrimshaw (9th,10.1)
English (10th,11.1)
Marshall (15th,15.8)
Berry (16th,16.4)
Battle (22nd,23.8)

Therefore, the first round will be.
1. Ess - Mccluggage
2. GWS- Mcgrath
3. Lions - Ainsworth
4. Suns - SPS
5. Suns - Bowes
6. Blues - Brodie
7. GWS - Settlefield
8. Fre - Taranto
9. Suns - Scrimshaw
10. Swans - Logue (English should be up, but I can't see Swans selecting English)
11. GWS - Perryman
12. Suns - English
13. Roos - Florent
14. WCE - Venables
15. Crows - Berry (Marshall should be up, Crows seem to be ok for Tall Forwards)
16. Port - Marshall
17. Lions - Simpkins
18. Port - Hayward
19. Dogs - Power-Pepper
20. Swans - Witherden
21. Ess - Gallucci
22. Lions - Battle

McCluggage (1st,1.6)
McGrath (2nd,2.5)
Ainsworth (3rd,4.7)
Bowes (4th,4.8)
Brodie (6th,6.3)
Setterfield (7th,7.5)
Taranto (8th,7.5)
Scrimshaw (9th,10.1)
English (10th,11.1)
Marshall (15th,15.8)
Berry (16th,16.4)
Battle (22nd,23.8)

Love to do a full draft with your results. Can you provide it for me?

Are you a Freakanomics listener?

Wisdom of the crowd is real and underrated. Pundit wisdom is massively overblown and often pundits perform worse than well informed non experts.

However, wisdom of the crowd should not be confused with things like mob decision making, voting etc. as it is an aggregate without agency, or deliberate consensus.

1. Ess - Mccluggage
2. GWS- Mcgrath
3. Lions - Ainsworth
4. Suns - SPS
5. Suns - Bowes Bid Matched
6. Blues - Brodie
7. GWS - Settlefield Bid Matched
8. Fre - Taranto
9. Suns - Scrimshaw
10. Swans - Logue (English should be up, but I can't see Swans selecting English)
11. GWS - Perryman Bid Matched
12. Suns - English
13. Roos - Florent
14. WCE - Venables
15. Crows - Berry (Marshall should be up, Crows seem to be ok for Tall Forwards)
16. Port - Marshall
17. Lions - Simpkins
18. Port - Hayward
19. Dogs - Power-Pepper
20. Swans - Witherden
21. Ess - Gallucci
22. Lions - Battle
23. Lions - Rathom
24. Suns - Sheer Bid Matched
25. Saints - Bolton
26. GWS - Macreadie Bid Matched
27. Cats - C Cox
28. Blues - Kerr
29. Dogs - B Cox
30. Tigers - Ridley
31. GWS - Sproule Bid Matched
32. Coll - Clarke
33. Ess - Scharenberg
34. Port - Mutch Bid Not Matched
35. Port - Luke Ryan
36. Roos - Drew
37. Roos - Z Fisher
38. Coll- C Brown Bid Matched (Villis was here, but his heart issues not drafted)
39. WCE - Graham
40. Fre - Maibaum
41. GWS - Cummings Bid Matched
42. Lions - Allison Bid Matched
43. Saints - Poholke
44. Cats - Parfitt
45. Fre - Walker (Atley was up, Fremantle have strong inside mids)
46. Ess - Atley
47. Cats - Garthwaite bid not matched
48. Crows - Begley
49. Coll- Daicos Bid Matched
50. Swans - Himmelberg
51. Melb - Long
52. WCE - Waterman Bid Matched
53. Blues - Duman
54. Swans - Bunker
55. Dogs - J Williams
56. Lions - Watson Bid Matched
57. Crows - C Lyons
58. Tigers - Morrison
59. Saints - Guelfi
60. Blues - Morrish
61. Cats - Lipinski
62. Blues - B Jarman
63. Crows - Brayshaw
64. Ess - Le Bois
65. Melb - Romensky
66. Blues - Hampton
67. Fre - Williamson
68. Cats- Stengle
69. Tigers - Tiziani
70. Hawks - Narkle
71. Hawks - McCarthy
72. Hawks - Ronke

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-19_22-20-32.png
    upload_2016-11-19_22-20-32.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 87
On this point that's why I really like people who post power rankings and phantom predictions. You get to see both how they rank them as well as the responses to the rumours

First Phantom draft which shows how matched bids will change the mid and later draft picks thanks

Now up to 67 drafts and rankings, covering 165 players.
I've split the drafts up into 3 time periods:
Early phantoms in season: July-9 october, Post draft combine phantoms 21 October to 16 November, and Last week phantoms 17 November to 24 November.

The first time period had the top ten in this order:

Hugh McCluggage
Will Brodie
Jack Bowes
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Andrew McGrath
Ben Ainsworth
Todd Marshall
Will Setterfield
Jack Scrimshaw
Tim English

After the draft combine, the top ten were:
Hugh McCluggage
Andrew McGrath
Jack Bowes
Ben Ainsworth
Will Setterfield
Tim Taranto
Will Brodie
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Jack Scrimshaw
Tim English

In the last week, the top ten are:
Andrew McGrath
Hugh McCluggage
Ben Ainsworth
Tim Taranto
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Will Setterfield
Jack Bowes
Will Brodie
Griffin Logue
Jack Scrimshaw

There were 109 players mentioned in the first period, 131 players in the second period, and 138 in the last week.

So, what's the best way to rank these drafts, the lowest difference from the real draft wins? Or points allocations to direct matches or being the only drafts to pick the smokies?

I plan to present a list of the closest drafts in each time period, because of course the earlier drafts are more useful to us, but are less likely to be a match with the real thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what's the best way to rank these drafts, the lowest difference from the real draft wins? Or points allocations to direct matches or being the only drafts to pick the smokies?

I plan to present a list of the closest drafts in each time period, because of course the earlier drafts are more useful to us, but are less likely to be a match with the real thing.

In all honesty, the best way to rank a draft is in 7 years time.

Some people aim to match the real draft, some people aim to give their own personal feelings on how they would draft.

In the name of good fun, maybe selection differential makes the most sense.

In all honesty, the best way to rank a draft is in 7 years time.

For the players that everybody thinks will get drafted, this is true, although it would be unfair to blame a poster for ranking highly a player who subsequently gets injured and doesn't fulfil his potential. My spreadsheet is in the cloud, so I shouldn't lose it.

Many players have only been recognised as draftable by a very few phantoms. For the smokies, I think it's fair to recognise the posters that picked them straight away, because if they didn't get drafted then nobody would be in a position to judge their playing.

Some people aim to match the real draft, some people aim to give their own personal feelings on how they would draft.

In the name of good fun, maybe selection differential makes the most sense.

A large majority of the phantoms that have come out in the last week are people trying to match the real draft. So I think judging the last week phantoms seperately is fair. The posters who had different aims (they usually stated this) know who they are.
I have enjoyed reading the left of centre drafts most of all. A bit harder to input the data though!

How hard would it be to limit every draft at say 30 picks

Give #1 draft pick a 30pt value and #2 pick 29pts ect and then see the results?

How hard would it be to limit every draft at say 30 picks

Give #1 draft pick a 30pt value and #2 pick 29pts ect and then see the results?

Sorry, I don't get you. Do the phantoms get 30 pts if they pick number 1 correctly? What if they pick no 10 as no 9 (ie only one out)? Do they get 0pts, or 20pts because A correct pick would be 21pts?

I think most years the number 1 is the easiest to pick. It gets progressively harder down the order, but you want to assign the harder picks fewer points?

Having said that, top 30 is a good idea, because I didn't record any smaller phantoms.

I would suggest losing points could be more interesting than gaining points.

E.g. You get zero for getting a position correct, and lose points depending how far off you were.

Just a suggestion:D

Sorry, I don't get you. Do the phantoms get 30 pts if they pick number 1 correctly? What if they pick no 10 as no 9 (ie only one out)? Do they get 0pts, or 20pts because A correct pick would be 21pts?

I think most years the number 1 is the easiest to pick. It gets progressively harder down the order, but you want to assign the harder picks fewer points?

Having said that, top 30 is a good idea, because I didn't record any smaller phantoms.
Sorry go through every phantom
Giving the player 30pts if they're at pick 1, 29 pts if they're pick two
All the way through to the player picked at 30 gaining 1 pt.
Then see the top 50. And you'd have the "consensus# of a top 50. In sorts.

So you're not giving the phantoms the pts but the individual players. Would be time consuming

would it be possible for you to upload the file to the thread so we can all look at it and further analyse it.

Sorry go through every phantom
Giving the player 30pts if they're at pick 1, 29 pts if they're pick two
All the way through to the player picked at 30 gaining 1 pt.
Then see the top 50. And you'd have the "consensus# of a top 50. In sorts.

So you're not giving the phantoms the pts but the individual players. Would be time consuming

I already have this system, I believe. Except I assign the value of 1 to the first pick, 2 to the second and so on. I have a consensus for the top 150, because I average the points. I also have a consensus for each of the three time periods. Very easy to do. Your point, I guess, is that if a player isn't picked in a phantom, then they aren't included in the averages. Which is true, and produces some anomalies for smokies that the phantom drafter rates highly, but no else even rates them.

I want to rate the phantom drafts.

I already have this system, I believe. Except I assign the value of 1 to the first pick, 2 to the second and so on. I have a consensus for the top 150, because I average the points. I also have a consensus for each of the three time periods. Very easy to do. Your point, I guess, is that if a player isn't picked in a phantom, then they aren't included in the averages. Which is true, and produces some anomalies for smokies that the phantom drafter rates highly, but no else even rates them.

I want to rate the phantom drafts.
Where could one find this list?

75 drafts now, with Emma Quayle the last I entered, so I'm done.
The combined top 30 from the last week is as follows: The numbers next to them are how they've moved from the post combine period and then how they've moved from the in-season phantoms. Negative means they've gone down the ladder from where they were in a previous time period (slider). Bolters have positive numbers.
1. Andrew McGrath +1, +4
2. Hugh McCluggage -1, -1
3. Tim Taranto +3, +8
4. Ben Ainsworth 0, +2
5. Sam Petrevski-Seton +3, -1
6. Will Setterfield -1, -2
7. Jack Bowes -4, -4
8. Will Brodie -1, -6
9. Griffin Logue +2, +12
10. Jack Scrimshaw -1, -1
11. Jy Simpkin +6, +6
12. Harry Perryman 0, 0
13. Tim English -3, -3
14. Oliver Florent -1, +11
15. Jarrod Berry 0, +1
16. Will Hayward +3, +42
17. Todd Marshall -1, -10
18. Daniel Venables -4, -5
19. Sam Powell-Pepper 0, +10
20. Alex Witherden 0, +7
21. Jordan Gallucci 0, -3
22. Shai Bolton +4, +9
23. Josh Rotham +1, -9
24. Brennan Cox +6, +19
25. Jordan Ridley +4, +21
26. Cedric Cox -1, +16
27. Josh Battle -5, -4
28. Brad Scheer -5, -7
29. Kobe Mutch +6, -7
30. Harrison MacReadie -3, -15

So Hayward was the bolter from the blue. I wonder if it will continue in the draft?
Todd Marshall, MacReadie and Josh Rotham the sliders over the course of the phantoms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back