VFL Past #77: Heath Hocking - Coach of JHA

Remove this Banner Ad

still remembering him toweling up Dangermouse in the 2013 win in Adelaide. fantastic tagger on his day.

thanks for everything Buddha!!

Memory is a little hazy, but i remember him kicking a ridiculous snap goal from about 45m as about the 3rd goal in the Sydney comeback game where Dempsey infamously played on. The ball just kept floating and floating on through, and you had a feeling we were about to see something special after that.

Perfectly put by somebody who said Heath played a big part in Jobe getting his Brownlow.

We'll never know, but I think he was more up to it than it looks from the outside. Yeah Howlett and Bird were putting up better numbers in the VFL but if we gave him the opportunities we gave the other two this year I think his output would have been better.

Agree on Bird but Howlett was really only played as our 3rd small forward.

VFL Best & Fairest. What on earth. In the 8 or so games I saw in the VFL this year he had little to no impact at all :/

VFL Best & Fairest. What on earth. In the 8 or so games I saw in the VFL this year he had little to no impact at all :/
Yeah, thought Mutch, Begley, Bird, Howlett, Boyse, Hind and Ferry would all finish ahead of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, just when I wanted to really talk up Clarke and Mutch based on the BnF voting I realised that Hocking won it.

There were games this year that he couldn't even bend down to pick up the ball.

Always had time for Hocking because he wasn't just a warrior, he was effective but this is the high point for wondering WTF? when it comes to assessment of VFL performances.

Honestly, just when I wanted to really talk up Clarke and Mutch based on the BnF voting I realised that Hocking won it.

There were games this year that he couldn't even bend down to pick up the ball.

Always had time for Hocking because he wasn't just a warrior, he was effective but this is the high point for wondering WTF? when it comes to assessment of VFL performances.

Sorry Bruno but I do not agree at all with Hocking. His VFL form was good once he got through the first 3 or 4 games. Also shows that it is not just about running around and getting a kick. When you are playing the role they want and playing pretty good footy to go along with it then you get votes. If you want votes for possessions then that award was on Monday night :p
You only had to read the story to see why he won the award.

Just a quick one, you said earlier his body was shot but I know he has finished this season in the best shape he has been in for 7 or 8 years. His last game showed he could still play at AFL level although being a regular has pretty much passed him by.

So happy he's sticking around

I was unconvinced by the quality of his footy this year but having him around to guide the kids can only be a good thing. We know that he will set a standard for selfless footy. It also warms the heart that he still loves the place enough to stick around. These guys don't do it for the money. Many of them could probably get better deals playing in suburban competitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back