7Cricket Vs Fox Cricket

Who has the better coverage?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ponting is excellent and actually provides great insight. Lane is decent. Even Brayshaw isn't as awful as he used to be with 9.

Mitchell is unlistenable, adds nothing and has only been brought over to fill a token woman commentator need. Why do we continue to import English hacks to do our commentary? See: Mark Nicholas.

Ponting is excellent and actually provides great insight. Lane is decent. Even Brayshaw isn't as awful as he used to be with 9.

Mitchell is unlistenable, adds nothing and has only been brought over to fill a token woman commentator need. Why do we continue to import English hacks to do our commentary? See: Mark Nicholas.

Why is Alison Mitchell ‘unlistenable’?
What makes her so offensive?

We're truly blessed to live in a world where hear from Andy Maher and Jason Richardson on consecutive nights. Thank goodness for Fox Cricket.
And hear the fantastic lineup of BJ, Cutting and Lynn? Both lineups weren’t exactly flash tonight
I reckon Ali Mitchell is fantastic. So there.
This, think Ali Mitchell is a great commentator and was and remains a good call by 7 to get her over here. Very good caller

I don't have Fox, but I watched a little bit of it last season. I thought it was better than Seven but not significantly better.

I hate Channel Seven's coverage of AFL and feared for the worst when they got the rights to the cricket. However, they have some decent commentators. I like Ponting, Katich, Lane, Mitchell and Blewett (even though he's not doing the test). Glenn McGrath is a bit vanilla but tolerable. James Brayshaw is better than he was on Nine (dependent on who his co-commentators are). I could live without Fleming and (especially) Slater.

Fox have a better team, but that is exepcted. Gilchrist, Guha, KOK and Mark Waugh are good. However, Shane Warne is intolerable. He waffles on about the same point over and over, never shutting up. He simply can't let it go.

Was visiting one of my brothers on Boxing Day and watched a bit of the Fox coverage. I copped a Shane Warne stint and was thinking I don't miss him only having channel 7! I am also one of the few that doesn't like Kerry O'Keefe so I don't miss him either. For me, the commentary teams are about the same I think, both broadcasters have some good callers and some crap ones. Mostly though I have the radio on and just float into the lounge room from time to time when I'm at home.

Does anyone actually like the "bowlology" schtick that Fleming goes on with? I cringe every time.

Yep, it's awful. Can't believe 7 took him on, were they that desperate?

I try to keep my criticism of Howie to a minimum to avoid it becoming a hobby horse, but I'd love it if he stoppped referring to his fellow commentators as ''the great man'' or great man''. It sort of comes across to me as if he's in awe of the people he's working with.
He tries too hard.

I still miss Chappelli, I can understand why Fox and Ch7 didn't pick him up as he's close to his use by date but he still offers a point of difference to the younger generation of commentators.

I heard him doing radio commentary during the lunch breaks and his analysis of the game is still pretty sharp and you have the added bonus of hearing all his old stories from the 70s about Dougie Walters and Rod Marsh which are far more interesting than hearing Slater and Fleming's stories from the 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Women's cricket but batter is crineworthy nonsense and was first used by Michael Clarke.

I wish I had the time to care about such insignificant bullshit.

Imagine getting worked up over gender inclusive terminology.

jason richardson > andy Maher
Regarding the merit of people in the broadcast booth. Women's international cricket is comparable to A-grade local cricket. Maher is along time player and has a good record at this level. So when he commentates with Mel Jones and Lisa Sthalekar for instance, he is legitimately the best player in the booth.

It is a bowler and a fieldsman. If cricket really needs to call a batsman a batter in order to be inclusive then it really is struggling.
I was listening tot he SEN broadcast, whenever it was. Ball and chain media personality Mel Jones was recalling some cricket terminology history when the topic came up at the time.

Idk this for myself. But she was saying that in the early decades of cricket, a batsman was indeed referred to as a "batter". It only changed later on as women's cricket began, as if to distinguish a male player from female.

So there was actually a fair reason to refer to a male batter as a batsman, and obviously it stuck. There's nothing offensive about the use of "batsman" at all.

But with he rise of idiots that pollute this planet nowadays, in amongst the communities and being present in the corporate and media world, "batsman" is a sign of old, primitive, archaic times where men ruled over women, and were belligerent, sexist arseholes.

Back