• Total voters

Chaisa

Premium Platinum
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
I recently read an article bemoaning how poor the MNF coverage had become in the US, with their focus on big garish graphics and clueless commentators, and it got me wondering why TV stations are so keen to attract non-sports fans to their telecasts even at the risk of alienating the rusted-ons who make the rights so valuable in the first place. It's certainly how it felt in Nine's last few years.
Because they know the rusted-ons will watch anyway, especially if it's a monopoly situation.

What I don't get is why their approach would attract casuals/non-sports fan. It just looks off-putting to any kind of person. Perhaps I over-estimate the lowest common denominator....

Also interestingly I find that 7's coverage seems higher-brow than Fox's despite being FTA rather than subscription. Watching 7 at times feels very radio-esque (no doubt an influence on signing so many ex-ABC guys + Ponting), whereas Fox feels more of a standard TV coverage (but probably still better than most TV cricketing broadcasts). From what I remember the 4 and Sky were kind of similar in that regard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

holybishop

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Also interestingly I find that 7's coverage seems higher-brow than Fox's despite being FTA rather than subscription. Watching 7 at times feels very radio-esque (no doubt an influence on signing so many ex-ABC guys + Ponting), whereas Fox feels more of a standard TV coverage (but probably still better than most TV cricketing broadcasts). From what I remember the 4 and Sky were kind of similar in that regard?
Fox's coverage is produced by Brad McNamara, Nine's ex-producer during their worst years. While it's miles better than Nine it still has a bit of a Nine feeling around it such as having 3 commentators and Warne running his mouth.

TBellicious

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Fox's coverage is produced by Brad McNamara, Nine's ex-producer during their worst years. While it's miles better than Nine it still has a bit of a Nine feeling around it such as having 3 commentators and Warne running his mouth.
Also worth noting that Channel 7’s cricket coverage is produced by the guy that used to do channel 10 BBL coverage - which was fantastic

TBellicious

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Channel 7 have easily got the right idea when it comes to their coverage.
They use the old fashioned microphone that you have to raise to speak - this is so that none of them talk over each other and so that they don’t over speak (both things that Fox do)
Furthermore, they don’t show the commentators in the box during test matches because they know that the game is more important. This is shown in most of the commentators they hire.

holybishop

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
The different between the picture quality of Fox's 4K coverage and 7's "HD" feed is lightyears apart. No matter how painful Warne can get after watching 4K cricket I will never be able to accept the FTA broadcast.

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It was funny listening to Warne going on about how even he was dropped a couple of times early in his career so its something that young players have to expect before they consolidate their spot, and then have someone point out that Warne got dropped again late in his career in the West Indies.
And boy did he crack the sads about that.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
crushing it Mr Warne.... butt heavenly Michael slater.. um Punter... Micky Vaughn... ant gonna stab myself in the ear for you are all rippers...

Willo_

Trust the Process
Apr 27, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
76ers, Melbourne Roys
My love for Isa Guha has me firmly in the fox camp, I actually like Howie as well, I feel he knows how role and doesn't try to be a star, and of course skull is awesome
Warne however is absolutely awful
Trade Warne for the brilliant Ponting somehow and there would be zero reason to even consider watching 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
They used to leash Warne pretty well on the Sky coverage in England, but here for some reason he gets to crap on about cheese pizzas, getting out for 99 and where they're going to go for their post-stumps piss-up with no one in management telling him to shut up and concentrate on the bloody cricket that's actually happening right now

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
no 7 cos it is H'd.. talking is standing alone and wrecking the dynamic.. way to go.. high def screen// vs high or different commentary...

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I recently read an article bemoaning how poor the MNF coverage had become in the US, with their focus on big garish graphics and clueless commentators, and it got me wondering why TV stations are so keen to attract non-sports fans to their telecasts even at the risk of alienating the rusted-ons who make the rights so valuable in the first place. It's certainly how it felt in Nine's last few years.
Does anyone become attracted to a sport due to the commentators? Seems ridiculous that they think this brings in new people

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
I've got Kayo but never feel the need to watch it on that over 7. The 7 coverage is fine.
I'm pretty much the same. Ponting is enough to keep me from feeling the need to stream. Watching him and McGrath break down Starc's change in action is why I don't feel the need to hear Warne, Howard and O'keefe.

Larry Barnsworth

Tiny Scotch Vovo
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The barrage of cross promotion that modern free to air has become does my head in. I like Test cricket. I don't like MKR. No I'm not going to watch MKR despite how much you flog it during the Test telecast.

7 aren't as bad as 9 got with The Block, etc. and 10 turned the preamble of the F1 from one of the best introductions to the season possible into effectively Studio 10 from Albert Park. Have given up on that sport altogether now. 9 killed my watching of international white ball cricket

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I’ve been watching Fox.

I can put up with Warne to listen to Vaughan.

Vaughen’s the best in the business and I like a non-bias view.

Top Bottom