7Cricket Vs Fox Cricket

Who has the better coverage?

• Total voters
Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
When 'batters' first became part of the terminology (if I recall correctly Michael Clarke might have been the one to first use it consistently), I cringed. But at that point I only really perceived it being a needlessly American addition to the sport. In recognition of the rapid rise of womens cricket though I have come to accept it and think of it in a positive sense in that it "normalises" that cricket is a sport for everyone to play and enjoy. Having said that I don't see why 'batsman' and 'batswoman' couldn't continue to be applied appropriately.

It's batsman or batswoman.

Batter goes on your fish unless you are Scottish, who prefer to batter Mars Bars instead.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
It's batsman or batswoman.

Batter goes on your fish unless you are Scottish, who prefer to batter Mars Bars instead.
The official standard term is now batter. Very rare to see batsman used anymore and even rarer to see batswoman.
9EC0A083-7858-4295-99CF-F69C1B5734F3.jpeg
4DFC28C8-CB0C-4216-B655-16AA653A2245.jpeg

Because it's been mandated from above
It's just easier to do that instead of using the gendered terms, and English tends to end up taking the easiest path, the path of least resistance if you like. It's like the whole "AFL as the sport" thing, when I lived in Queensland it was the easiest way to describe the sport so that's what I ended up doing. Sometimes you just have to accept and live with these things even when you don't like it.

It's just easier to do that instead of using the gendered terms, and English tends to end up taking the easiest path, the path of least resistance if you like. It's like the whole "AFL as the sport" thing, when I lived in Queensland it was the easiest way to describe the sport so that's what I ended up doing. Sometimes you just have to accept and live with these things even when you don't like it.

Oh the AFL one annoys me more, but -man is not a gendered term.

The term batter isn’t the PC brigade going mad, it’s basic respect for the women who play the game.
Unfortunately, respect for anything outside the non-mainstream status quo is the very definition of 'PC gone mad'.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Isa is a breath of fresh air and Skull is the funniest man alive.

Did you hear him talking about the "cycloptic effect" on Friday night? Bloody hell, I literally snorted my beer.

Skull is always great value, and Isa proves to me I'm more than comfortable with female commentators in men's sport so long as they know what they're talking about. Having played at top level herself, she has a real appreciation for what the players are trying to achieve.

I have also enjoyed the insight from Michael Vaughan this summer. When England aren't playing, he is balanced and considered. Ian Smith has been pretty good as well. He's pro-kiwi, but always able to balance his opinion. When Shane Warne sticks to cricket, he's very interesting. The moment he starts to talk about other things, my eyes just glaze over.

Generally very pleased with the Fox presentation.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isa proves to me I'm more than comfortable with female commentators in men's sport so long as they know what they're talking about.
This is 100% true. Sh1ts me no end when AFL trot out token women to fill their HR quotas. Women can be equally as good in the commentary box, just choose ones that know what they're on about. It sticks out like a sore thumb when you just go the PC route and add skirt with no real value

Back