7Cricket Vs Fox Cricket

Who has the better coverage?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So after the first days play for both networks with the cricket rights who came out on top?

Things you liked?
Things you hated?
How to improve?

Personally found myself watching more of Fox their group seemed to click more for the most part though the 7 trio of lane/Ponting/Gillespie was top shelf

Don't have Foxtel so had to watch Seven:

As mentioned, the Lane/Ponting/Gillespie combination was excellent. Lane and Alison Mitchell are capable callers and Ricky Ponting is an excellent analyst. Even Michael Slater was bearable and not talking too much rubbish, James Brayshaw was unbelievably tolerable too.

Aakash Chopra was meant to be apart of the team, was he on at all?

Only negatives would be the extremely cliched commentary of Damien Fleming (sick of avenue of apprehension!) and the fact that Hawkeye did not show up for the Sharma LBW review until later on.

Overall, I thought the coverage was solid, better than I expected.

Again don't have Fox so can't comment, but so far Ch 7 shits on what Ch 9 brought to the table. A few thoughts:

- Agree with the thoughts on the Lane/Punter/Gillespie combo, shame Dizzy is only on for the first test, he's better than I expected. Reckon Katich will have the same impact though
- Lane and Mitchell were superb, breath of fresh air to cricket broadcasting. Brayshaw decent too, probably becomes the Australian Mark Nicholas
- Punter great
- McGrath's a follower. Was good with Ponting, was annoying with Slats
- Actually really liked Flem, was good during the first two sessions that I heard. Can see 'Who's coming to lunch' getting old fast, though
- Only put Slater together with Punter/Mitchell/Lane/Chopra/Gillespie/Katich. Was decent during the first session. Brayshaw brings out the worst in him, gave him free reign during the JB/Slats/Pidge combination and he reverted back to his Ch 9 self. Feel like Flem would egg him on, too. There's potential, but they have to use him right
- Chopra was decent
- McLaughlin a great host
- Don't see the point of having Copeland's analytics on the broadcast, his role is basically covered through special comments. Use him in the commentary box or don't use him at all
- Graphics clean, which is nice, overall clean broadcasting
- Didn't show the toss, but is that part of the 7/Fox contract?

Channel 7 was better than i thought it would be.

As for Fox, apart from repeating myself about Howie, I think Skull and Harsha need to be on air together just the two of them.

Again don't have Fox so can't comment, but so far Ch 7 shits on what Ch 9 brought to the table. A few thoughts:

- Agree with the thoughts on the Lane/Punter/Gillespie combo, shame Dizzy is only on for the first test, he's better than I expected. Reckon Katich will have the same impact though
- Lane and Mitchell were superb, breath of fresh air to cricket broadcasting. Brayshaw decent too, probably becomes the Australian Mark Nicholas
- Punter great
- McGrath's a follower. Was good with Ponting, was annoying with Slats
- Actually really liked Flem, was good during the first two sessions that I heard. Can see 'Who's coming to lunch' getting old fast, though
- Only put Slater together with Punter/Mitchell/Lane/Chopra/Gillespie/Katich. Was decent during the first session. Brayshaw brings out the worst in him, gave him free reign during the JB/Slats/Pidge combination and he reverted back to his Ch 9 self. Feel like Flem would egg him on, too. There's potential, but they have to use him right
- Chopra was decent
- McLaughlin a great host
- Don't see the point of having Copeland's analytics on the broadcast, his role is basically covered through special comments. Use him in the commentary box or don't use him at all
- Graphics clean, which is nice, overall clean broadcasting
- Didn't show the toss, but is that part of the 7/Fox contract?

It appears that Fox have exclusive rights to the toss, I guess they both can't have commentators there for it but it's strange that Ch7 can't even show it.

79541573fd80cc66f5fcfd87258438f1

It appears that Fox have exclusive rights to the toss, I guess they both can't have commentators there for it but it's strange that Ch7 can't even show it.

79541573fd80cc66f5fcfd87258438f1
I doubt Ch 7 are allowed to show any form of Fox broadcaster/Fox logo on their coverage

Did lol when Roaming Flem interviewed Paine this morning, and he was holding a Fox-sponsored footy

I doubt Ch 7 are allowed to show any form of Fox broadcaster/Fox logo on their coverage

Did lol when Roaming Flem interviewed Paine this morning, and he was holding a Fox-sponsored footy

I saw some highlights of the day's play on Ch7 news and they had the Fox commentary for it, I would've thought they'd use their own commentary for it.

At work we had no choice but to watch 7, I thought Punter was absolutely brilliant ... I could listen to him talk cricket all day long.

Move him over to Fox though and I can't see myself having any reason to watch 7, I really liked Fox's work during the one day stuff and am really looking forward to seeing Harsha and Skull on together.
Also I'm in love with Isa so that helps me choose Fox.

Brilliant to have the choice now, would be great if it happens for footy so we don't have to be subjected to BT and Darcy

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the fact that 7 and Fox both have Test broadcasting rights a bit odd.

I would have thought that 7 would cover Test cricket exclusively while Fox covered the ODI's exclusively.

I was reasonably impressed with 7's coverage though. Showing the score during ad-breaks was a nice touch, while there were no forced attempts to be blokey as at 9. Separating the Healy/Slater 'scream team' would have helped enormously in this regard, while there being no Kevin Pietersen was nice. No idea why they brought Brayshaw back though - he wasn't exactly impressive back in his days with 9.

The Hawkeye glitch with Sharma was a bit disquieting.

For the record, I'm sure Fox's coverage is better, but that is to be expected considering they simply have more commentators to work with. Naturally the likes of Gilchrist, Warne, Isa, Waugh etc would have gravitated to the coverage with more matches to broadcast, too

Watched both at different times, going to have to give the win to 7 from what I have seen so far.

I want to choose Fox for Isa but I don't want to choose them because of Howie.

I actually don't mind the guy, was good on the boundary at the footy and in the pits for the v8's when he was at 10, but he shouldn't be calling test cricket.

I saw some highlights of the day's play on Ch7 news and they had the Fox commentary for it, I would've thought they'd use their own commentary for it.

ABC also used Fox's coverage, I suspect another part of the deal is that all highlights must use the Fox footage.

Which makes me wonder whether everything is paid for and run by Fox, and Seven just adds their own stuff to make it 'theirs'.

Back