7Cricket Vs Fox Cricket

Who has the better coverage?

• Total voters
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Fox has been absolutely awful this year. The ball by ball commentary has been inadequate - I genuinely do not care how fast Wood's bowled in this spell, his pace aids the batter if he refuses to bowl a fuller length. He's taken 8 wickets; Robinson has taken more, as has Lyon, Bolland, Cummins and Starc - and gets distracted by inanities. The women are treated like eye candy, with Howie's obsession with Kat Loughnan's feet in Brisbane being crass.

The segments during the breaks have been the worst they've ever been. They had their first segment that had something to do with how to play the game in this test, with Warnie and Skull talking about legspin. The only useful thing within it was the fielding graphic; all else was stuff that is either obvious, has been said endlessly in commentary by Warne - 'Your task as a spinner is to stay on' - or was Skull trying to make a s**t joke. They spent no time on variations. This was meant to be a legspin bowling clinic. 'Pitch it middle and leg, if you spin it further you can bowl further down leg. Hold the ball more loosely than your coach tells you to,' was the extent of the advice given.

The old tape from Warne describing how he used to do things they'd plug in at Ch.9 was infinitely more valuable than this piece of s**t is. There is nothing wrong with premade or packaged content, but they don't have an issue with premade stuff if it's advertising for a camper van.

So, just to be clear, the above segment - Warnie and Skull standing in the middle of the SCG with Howie - was the only segment they've actually talked about the cricket. Everything else has been something else; an interview, some bullshit. Then you get to the inanity that is reviewing tiktoks. Who in utter * thought this s**t was a good idea?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fox has been absolutely awful this year. The ball by ball commentary has been inadequate - I genuinely do not care how fast Wood's bowled in this spell, his pace aids the batter if he refuses to bowl a fuller length. He's taken 8 wickets; Robinson has taken more, as has Lyon, Bolland, Cummins and Starc - and gets distracted by inanities. The women are treated like eye candy, with Howie's obsession with Kat Loughnan's feet in Brisbane being crass.

The segments during the breaks have been the worst they've ever been. They had their first segment that had something to do with how to play the game in this test, with Warnie and Skull talking about legspin. The only useful thing within it was the fielding graphic; all else was stuff that is either obvious, has been said endlessly in commentary by Warne - 'Your task as a spinner is to stay on' - or was Skull trying to make a sh*t joke. They spent no time on variations. This was meant to be a legspin bowling clinic. 'Pitch it middle and leg, if you spin it further you can bowl further down leg. Hold the ball more loosely than your coach tells you to,' was the extent of the advice given.

The old tape from Warne describing how he used to do things they'd plug in at Ch.9 was infinitely more valuable than this piece of sh*t is. There is nothing wrong with premade or packaged content, but they don't have an issue with premade stuff if it's advertising for a camper van.

So, just to be clear, the above segment - Warnie and Skull standing in the middle of the SCG with Howie - was the only segment they've actually talked about the cricket. Everything else has been something else; an interview, some bullshit. Then you get to the inanity that is reviewing tiktoks. Who in utter fu** thought this sh*t was a good idea?
Agreed mostly and yet its still better than the cluster* of a commentary team 7 has put together. Havent noticed the women only being treated like eye candy but do sometimes wonder how Isha keeps her cool when with Warne or Junior. Shes the best they have just about

Last edited:
I've gone from huge fan of Fox to not being able to handle them this summer, and it really comes down to one thing... Shane Keith Warne.. Deadset the bloke has made them unwatchable, he must get paid by word.. He just loves the sound of his own voice, talks for the sake of talking and also cannot in anyway give credit to someone he doesn't like or admit he is wrong. He's as bad as bloody Derm is on Fox Footy.

It's a shame for the kid in me who idolised his bowling growing up that I now cannot at all stand him, but to be fair it all went down hill when he discovered Twitter I think :tearsofjoy:

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Warne drossing on for an entire over trying to question Gilly about launching off right versus left leg, while Crawley has just played two fantastic shots to put the best bowler in the world to the boundary twice in an over. It's a real problem with TV commentary in Australia - they don't actually commentate the play.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've gone from huge fan of Fox to not being able to handle them this summer, and it really comes down to one thing... Shane Keith Warne.. Deadset the bloke has made them unwatchable, he must get paid by word.. He just loves the sound of his own voice, talks for the sake of talking and also cannot in anyway give credit to someone he doesn't like or admit he is wrong. He's as bad as bloody Derm is on Fox Footy.

It's a shame for the kid in me who idolised his bowling growing up that I now cannot at all stand him, but to be fair it all went down hill when he discovered Twitter I think :tearsofjoy:
Lets not go too far, sir. It isnt footy season so you've simply forgotten just how bad Derm is but come April, you'll be regretting this call (even though Warnie is a shocker)

Lets not go too far, sir. It isnt footy season so you've simply forgotten just how bad Derm is but come April, you'll be regretting this call (even though Warnie is a shocker)
No I won't

They are both ******* awful and the commentary equivalent of each other... We just cop Derm for much longer

TheBigPavallova

Debutant
Jul 7, 2012
The SandPit
AFL Club
Fremantle
TV commentary in Australia - they don't actually commentate the play.
epot on
They all try to sound half intelligent with they're observations of the game. competing with one another. except they don't call the game.
Scientific cricket stats mumbo jumbo.

He just loves the sound of his own voice, talks for the sake of talking
warne is so ego driven, his perception of himself is awful.
It's like the universe revolves around inside his head.

I can't stand the bloke these days.

Fudge Nuggets

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
James Brayshaw sounded heartbroken when India won at the Gabba last summer and he was in despair when England held out for a draw today.

Good, impartial commentary is overrated. I wish they allowed the commies to let fly with unfiltered obscenities when warranted.

copthat

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Have noticed the whole summer that Warne and Waugh have not been paired together when they used to all the time. They were unbearable together, constantly agreeing with each other while endlessly bashing the opposition. Now unfortunately you have to listen to the same dross but over two seperate stints.

Mark Waugh is more unbearable then Warne I think. His commentary stints are literally him just whinging and complaining, and then when anyone challenges him (usually Hussey) he salts up and bullies them into believing what he's saying.

The agenda driven stuff from Warne is almost equally unbearable though. Constantly criticising Lyon because he has a hard on for Swepson, shitting on Starc at any opportunity because he hates him. The funniest one was the Adelaide test when during his whole commentary, stint him and someone else (think it was Kerry) were talking about how a wicket for England this late in the day would be enormous and they might even share the honours if they can snag one. Marnus on 95 nicks to Warne's best pal Buttler who drops an absolute soda and all Warne could talk about was how you just "have to feel sorry for him". No mention of how big a moment it was, how embarrassingly regulation the catch was (as would be normal for him), nothing. Could you imagine if anyone else had put a chance like that down? He wouldn't be able to shut up about how that drop was reflective of how England have a loser's mentality, or that how moment just cost England not only the current Ashes but the next 7 series as well.

Last edited:

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The more air time for Megan Barnard the better if you ask me. Howie will be heartbroken at the flak his hero Warnie has copped in some of the posts above mine.

Have noticed the whole summer that Warne and Waugh have not been paired together when they used to all the time. They were unbearable together, constantly agreeing with each other while endlessly bashing the opposition. Now unfortunately you have to listen to the same dross but over two seperate stints.

Mark Waugh is more unbearable then Warne I think. His commentary stints are literally him just whinging and complaining, and then when anyone challenges him (usually Hussey) he salts up and bullies them into believing what he's saying.

The agenda driven stuff from Warne is almost equally unbearable though. Constantly criticising Lyon because he has a hard on for Swepson, shitting on Starc at any opportunity because he hates him. The funniest one was the Adelaide test when during his whole commentary, stint him and someone else (think it was Kerry) were talking about how a wicket for England this late in the day would be enormous and they might even share the honours if they can snag one. Marnus on 95 nicks to Warne's best pal Buttler who drops an absolute soda and all Warne could talk about was how you just "have to feel sorry for him". No mention of how big a moment it was, how embarrassingly regulation the catch was (as would be normal for him), nothing. Could you imagine if anyone else had put a chance like that down? He wouldn't be able to shut up about how that drop was reflective of how England have a loser's mentality, or that how moment just cost England not only the current Ashes but the next 7 series as well.
What has annoyed me as much as anything is they keep pairing him with Isa, I love Isa and could listen to her all day.. I can't cop Warne and with her he also has the added element of trying to flirt with her non stop.
I am a big fan of Vaughan on the coverage, but really I just have had to give up on Fox. Haven't minded 7's "B" team getting more time with the covid issues as well, most have been quite good and really really happy they only had Andy Maher on quickly to host that morning and then ****ed him right off

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
They were together on Day 1 at the GABBA as it was Waugh who was trying to tell Warne that the ball from Starc did in fact swing. Since then they've like to pair Waugh with Hussey and Waugh just tries to bully him the entire time. Hussey is one of the only ones who tries to tell the viewer why a team is doing a particular tactic which is in stark contrast to Waugh who just spends his stints shitting on everything.

copthat

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
They were together on Day 1 at the GABBA as it was Waugh who was trying to tell Warne that the ball from Starc did in fact swing. Since then they've like to pair Waugh with Hussey and Waugh just tries to bully him the entire time. Hussey is one of the only ones who tries to tell the viewer why a team is doing a particular tactic which is in stark contrast to Waugh who just spends his stints shitting on everything.
Yep, prime example was when Jack Leach was bowling. Yes, he was bowling a defensive line and to weird fields, but Hussey was trying to explain that perhaps he'd been told to do a holding job. Waugh took that as his opinion (as opposed to Hussey just analysing what's in front of him) and continued to bully him into saying that the tactic was bad and he should be trying to take wickets with an umbrella field. You can hear Waugh getting frustrated by Hussey simply analysing why a particular tactic may be in place no matter how "bad" or defensive it is.

Notice Warne mention Steve Waugh when they were talking about the most not outs in cricket? He was clearly trying to mention how much he hates him and that he shouldn’t have dropped him

They way he mentioned him and then didn't go on with it made me think he had a producer screaming in his ear to stfu about Steve Waugh you dickhead

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Watched about half of the Shane doco on Amazon last night. Switched off as it wasn’t worth watching the rest. No new insights or even juicy stuff like feuds etc. Just Warnie narrating his career with a bunch of his celeb mates reminding you how good he is.

new0066

Team Captain
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
From the 7 upfronts

“In an exciting announcement for fans, former Australian cricket coach Justin Langer will join Australia’s #1 cricket commentary team for the 2022-23 Summer of Cricket, led by cricket’s most astute commentator, former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting.

Adding to Seven’s incomparable cricket coverage will be former South African batter and arguably the greatest fielder of his time, Jonty Rhodes, former West Indies fast bowlers Ian Bishop and Michael Holding, and New Zealand wicket-keeper Katey Martin

Back