7News: Major Review into the AFL, independent of the AFL & the 18 Clubs, will start early 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it stupid?
W

AFL does not respond well to this kind of tactic.

They're trying to manage COVID impacted seasons and Tassie is running around threatening to throw their toys out of the pram.

Gillon has already said won't happen in next five years.

Far smarter to be as supportive as possible but hold him to that five year line.

AFL does not respond well to this kind of tactic.

They're trying to manage COVID impacted seasons and Tassie is running around threatening to throw their toys out of the pram.

Gillon has already said won't happen in next five years.

Far smarter to be as supportive as possible but hold him to that five year line.
Your right the AFL like to dominate the landscape but let's be honest, Tas have been waiting for what 20-25yrs for the AFL to actually include them in the national competition. I can understand why they have dug their heels in.

Your right the AFL like to dominate the landscape but let's be honest, Tas have been waiting for what 20-25yrs for the AFL to actually include them in the national competition. I can understand why they have dug their heels in.

I hope they enjoy the Aleague then. The AFL isnt ready for this.

Digging themselves into another 25 without a team with this dumb crap.

I hope they enjoy the Aleague then. The AFL isnt ready for this.

Suspect this is political posturing for Tassie domestic audience.

But AFL are already stressed as trying to make another COVID impacted season happen.

Last thing they'd need is this petty disruptive crap.

Suspect this is political posturing for Tassie domestic audience.

But AFL are already stressed as trying to make another COVID impacted season happen.

Last thing they'd need is this petty disruptive crap.
I'm sure the AFL can suck it up, its supposed to be a professional organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure the AFL can suck it up, its supposed to be a professional organisation.

The Tasmanian Government is meant to be a sovereign state within a federation and it is acting like Eddie McGuire when Collingwood get two interstate trips in the first ten rounds.

I doubt, or at least hope, the AFL admin are above petty vindictiveness

You West Coast supporters are like good looking rich girls, so naive about how the rest of the world actually lives.

Well, slight change of subject, and could have ramifications on the review. Looks like the Tassie govt is putting club/game hosting arrangements on hold until they get a clear timeline on a licence in the AFL for a Tassie team.
Good on them. They deserve a team of their own not a club using them For profit margins and a club whoring themselves to whichever region will have them

Last edited:
Digging themselves into another 25 without a team with this dumb crap.
Well after throwing millions at the Hawks for nearly 2 decades if all they get is north Melbourne after every other region of Australia rejected them, I doubt they'll care. Probably just cut their losses and go ,since clearly 20 years of investment isn't enough to get taken seriously.

They'll put that money to the aleague instead since they'll actually get something out of it.

Well after throwing millions at the Hawks for nearly 2 decades if all they get is north Melbourne after every other region of Australia rejected them, I doubt they'll care. Probably just cut their losses and go ,since clearly 20 years of investment isn't enough to get taken seriously.

They'll put that money to the aleague instead since they'll actually get something out of it.

Yes, the best way to see footy games in Tasmania is to stop having footy games in Tasmania and have soccer games instead.

For which the Tasmanian Government by their own admission reaped plenty of reward from. 20 years of investment delivered exactly what it was supposed to. It was never seed money for an AFL team.

If you call it getting something. Aleague would clash with a pretty successful BBL team and its new NBL team. And do nothing for the long, cold, winters down here.

Eagles joined under the impression the VFL was dead (And it was financially) and a new national competition was being built.

It will obviously take time for the embedded Victorian power brokers to slowly be eroded and evolve into a true national competition.

Still not there yet. Too many struggling teams in Victoria holding that back.

That's a fanciful rewriting of history. If the VFL was dead then a different competition would have been created at that stage. If the VFL was dying then the cash injection from the Eagles/Bears and the increased media rights from 7 in 1988 helped resuscitate it. Either way the AFL is still the VFL, it's the same competition that has been continuous since 1897. Nothing will change that no matter how much WA supporters in particular and some other non-Vic supporters wish that it would happen.

As I've said several times, under the scenario put forward, the AFL would be forced to, anyone with a modicum of sense/general knowedge/whatever knows this. They'd be forced, dragged kicking and screaming if you will.

It's fanciful though, it's simply not going to happen. How would it occur? Federal government withholding funds? That will go down well in the marginal Vic seats.

Eagles joined under the impression the VFL was dead (And it was financially) and a new national competition was being built.

It will obviously take time for the embedded Victorian power brokers to slowly be eroded and evolve into a true national competition.

Still not there yet. Too many struggling teams in Victoria holding that back.

Good to see the Tasmanian government drawing a line in the sand. The Tassie gravy train is coming to an end for financially struggling Vic clubs.

Something needs to give. Too many teams in Melbourne still.

Good to see the Tasmanian government drawing a line in the sand. The Tassie gravy train is coming to an end for financially struggling Vic clubs.

Something needs to give. Too many teams in Melbourne still.

Is there like a limited pool of five or six sentences/phrases that West and South Australian posters have to choose from on this stuff?

Could we not just appoint one of you to post on these threads?

It is the same repetitive whiny inaccurate posts on every thread year after year after year.

There's only one financially struggling Vic club anyway, and they don't even play in Tassie.

Is there like a limited pool of five or six sentences/phrases that West and South Australian posters have to choose from on this stuff?

Could we not just appoint one of you to post on these threads?

It is the same repetitive whiny inaccurate posts on every thread year after year after year.

There's only one financially struggling Vic club anyway, and they don't even play in Tassie.

I'm not West nor South Australian.

Q. Would Hawthorn and or North struggle without their Tasmanian deals?

It looks like the Tassie govt has had enough 'renting' AFL teams to grow the game in Tasmania which they have come out and stated hasn't worked.

They want their own team to represent them.

Pretty strong stance being shown and something new. Given this thread is about a full AFL review this situation is quite relevent. Especially to the two Vic teams that rely on revenue from Tasmania.

You disagree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back