7News: Major Review into the AFL, independent of the AFL & the 18 Clubs, will start early 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't wait for them to POQ either.

The rest is garbage.

No, it is reality.

I support a Tassie team, and I'll be fine with the big $$$ it will need for set up and to be sustained.

But it is going to need lots. This isn't a sledge, just a recognition of reality.

No, it is reality.

I support a Tassie team, and I'll be fine with the big $$$ it will need for set up and to be sustained.

But it is going to need lots. This isn't a sledge, just a recognition of reality.

No you said it would require more AFL money than North ever had.

Do you know the figures?

Have you read the Tas Team proposal?

Blah blah blah.

You don't eve know the basics of the argument ... last year's profits ... and keep spouting the same boring tripe.

As I said, only one West Coast poster should be allowed on these threads.

We get it, you're cut that you love a game we Vics invented and aren't emotionally developed enough to deal with this sense of shame from desiring the forbidden.

Just get over it ffs.

You need to stop being a total flog and pull your head in.

Stop taking things personally and getting all emotional.

Bottom line buddy is that North may have squeezed out a profit recently but that is including Tasmanian funding pre covid economy. That income source for two clubs is under serious threat. No one made a profit last year and a profit this season is no guarantee for any club either due to covid.

So what is the short to mid term fix for the Hawks and North in the event the Tassie govt backs away from renting games and funds their own team?

You seem to totally ignore this obvious question and instead carry on and attack the person asking a pretty reasonable question.

Not interested in your silly rants and insults. Its a thread about an AFL review and a Tasmanian team and its consequences should it entered the competition.

No you said it would require more AFL money than North ever had.

Do you know the figures?

Have you read the Tas Team proposal?

Yep. Fantasy land stuff

The Mercury D. Killick 19.1.21

Killick said "Tasmania eyes off A League team as AFL standoff continues".

(GR soccer, along with GR basketball, is booming in Tas., both at record highs, for official regd. club & school comp. nos. The few opponents of a Tas. 19th club ignore this very strong growth in basketball & soccer; &, of course, ignore Tasmania's relatively successful cricket teams.
Basketball & soccer nos. in Tas. are now starting to get close to GR AF club & school nos.- the AFL's shame.

In 2000, Tas. had the highest pre capita Club AF nos. in Australia; & is well over represented, per capita, in the AFL Hall Of Fame, & AFL Team Of The Century. Despite Tasmania's population continuing to grow every year, albeit slowly, male GR Club nos. have been, generally, declining for c. 15 years, in raw terms- although in 2016-2019, there was an actual increase- totalling c. 2000- in male Club nos.).

Premier Gutwein said 18.1.21

Re AF, "...here in Tasmania, the base is decaying. Around the country, nos. are increasing...We're seeing more Clubs close & put into mothballs".

(Scroll to 19.1, then click on The Mercury article)

Tasmanians are proud people, & are proud of their State- but not having their own elite Club in the AFL has killed AF tribalism; & not having local AFL role models, & well-funded elite pathways, has left Tas. AF demoralised & disenchanted.

This is a list of 45 Tas. snr Clubs, from 1992-2017, that have folded completely (ie not even merged); or were a single entity club, but had to merge (due to lack of nos.) with another club to survive.

(Scroll to my post# 2897, point 2.).

Tasmania has had a few narrow victories over Vic., WA, & SA in interstate AF matches- & was often fairly competitive. Tas. defeated Vic. once, by 4 points in 1960 (Its injured champion & captain, D. Baldock, did not play). Tas. would, of course, now be thrashed.

Last edited:
Reducing AFL games then filling the void with local footy games is probably the worst thing anyone has ever suggested for the growth of the game/enjoyment of the fans :tearsofjoy:

Games will be much better/more entertaining in a shortened season. Having 22 rounds leaves the league broadcasting dozens and dozens of pointless games which leaves so many on here complaining.

Besides the younger generation don't even watch footy that much anyway so whatever the league is doing isn't working (surprise surprise). It's a s**t league anyway. Crap sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we can see Norths wonderfully precarious position.

One of only three Vic teams to make a profit in 2020 (sans Tassie money) and debt free. Yep, totally precarious.

Yet some projection doc full of made up numbers about a Tassie team is rock solid.

One of only three Vic teams to make a profit in 2020 (sans Tassie money) and debt free. Yep, totally precarious.

Yet some projection doc full of made up numbers about a Tassie team is rock solid.

you said Tassie would need more money from the AFL than Tassie. So once again how do you justify that? Its not true on the numbers I've seen.

Without the Tas$$ & without the AFL payments way over the baseline figure, North wouldn't exist.

So 'profit' = Hahahaha!!!!

I just prefer watching sports played at the highest level over B grade and ammos.

At community level you can get engaged & involved with clubs. Sport & socially much more human sized organisations. You get to know people & players & take a closer interest in the club. The standard matters not. You get to know the players & barrack for them. Wins & losses become personal. Celebrations with players & officials & supporters are great. You feel part of it all.

If you just want to sit in a stand, eat a pie & go home. Fine. Boring but fine.

Very informative & added a lot to the discussion.

Thank you.

While your contribution is the usual unsubstantiated statements and abuse of anyone who disputes your fantasies.

At community level you can get engaged & involved with clubs. Sport & socially much more human sized organisations. You get to know people & players & take a closer interest in the club. The standard matters not. You get to know the players & barrack for them. Wins & losses become personal. Celebrations with players & officials & supporters are great. You feel part of it all.

If you just want to sit in a stand, eat a pie & go home. Fine. Boring but fine.

Great!

Perfect solution for you.

Ignore the AFL and go watch whatever local club you want.

You'll clearly enjoy that much more.

While your contribution is the usual unsubstantiated statements and abuse of anyone who disputes your fantasies.

Seems your back on deck with your usual quite curt, negative, personal & underwhelming comment.

ps. Fantasies? I live in the real world. Work, community footy, community cricket.

Community, where it is better to give than to receive.

I may send that little wisdom to your mates at the AFL. ;)

you said Tassie would need more money from the AFL than Tassie. So once again how do you justify that? Its not true on the numbers I've seen.

Without the Tas$$ & without the AFL payments way over the baseline figure, North wouldn't exist.

So 'profit' = Hahahaha!!!!

Without AFL payments no club would exist

Without AFL payments no club would exist

Well, No. Look at the club finances. The ones at the opposite end of the financial scale to North Melbn. ;

Clearly some only make a 'profit' with AFL payments & handouts well above the base level. Also by selling games outside of their home turf, where they clearly struggle to manage financially.

Pretty obvious really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back