7News: Major Review into the AFL, independent of the AFL & the 18 Clubs, will start early 2021.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Essendon are also unassisted. With Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs, West Coast, Fremantle and Adelaide being financially stable (plus teams like Geelong and Melbourne also being alright as well), I don't see why the AFL couldn't support the rest like it's currently doing.
Of course they can support the rest. This "market forces" silliness isn't going to happen anytime soon. The PR disaster alone would harm the AFL greatly.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Bulldogs have more supporters that actually rock up, more heart, more personality, represent a genuine region of Melbourne and more growth potential.
Melbourne are the bigger and more successful club. Look at Melbourne's 2018 crowds. They drew 51K vs Sydney at the MCG with two 90K+ finals vs Hawthorn and Geelong. Bulldogs just don't have that much support.
Also, representing a region doesn't mean Bulldogs have the support or growth potential you think they do. Supporters are mixed all over Melbourne since all Melburnian teams play from two stadiums. Collingwood and Essendon have more supporters in the west than Bulldogs and I doubt that changes. The new generation will support the successful sides, family team or something arbitrary.

I'd say it's more like this:

Big clubs
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Middle-big
Hawthorn
Geelong

Middle-small
Melbourne
St Kilda

Small
Bulldogs
North

Melbourne as the oldest club and original MCG tenant are safe. Bulldogs are also safe.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Bulldogs have more supporters that actually rock up, more heart, more personality, represent a genuine region of Melbourne and more growth potential.

I'm sure the dogs would like it to be that way, but the long term trend is in the opposite direction.

The old working class West has changed massively in all sorts of ways, and really isn't footy heartland any more. Unlikely that it ever will be again.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Of course they can support the rest. This "market forces" silliness isn't going to happen anytime soon. The PR disaster alone would harm the AFL greatly.

Agree in principle but the market force is the media rights (imho) & the role of FTA in that mix continues to evolve.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Yep, from a parochial Sandgroper, I just can't see it happening anytime soon (cull of Vic clubs) and don't particularly want it to. I'd liked to have more traditional clubs in the AFL from the get go, but it's too late now, by 30 years. Unfortunately the business model behind clubs like the Eagles and Docker makes more sense.

What I don't get, there are a lot of sa and wa fans who willingly want traditional vic clubs culled or merged or relocated because it makes for a fairer competition.

And yes it would.

What those people don't care about are the fans that they target, well those clubs and their fans were in this league beforehand.

'Fair' doesn't fly.

Those people can demand change and cull all they want, but don't get your nose out of joint when there's opposition to your idea. (or do, don't care)

So either like it or continue in your frustrated misery or go follow something else.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
What I don't get, there are a lot of sa and wa fans who willingly want traditional vic clubs culled or merged or relocated because it makes for a fairer competition.

And yes it would.

What those people don't care about are the fans that they target, well those clubs and their fans were in this league beforehand.

'Fair' doesn't fly.

Those people can demand change and cull all they want, but don't get your nose out of joint when there's opposition to your idea. (or do, don't care)

So either like it or continue in your frustrated misery or go follow something else.

I would prefer to let natural attrition do it’s thing over the next 2-5 decades. I would not be around in 50 years but I cantseethere being any chance at all of their being 18 clubs in the AFL.
Player greed and want for more and more money will eventually reach a tipping point where the big clubs will support that greed and things like the salary cap will be done with. It is happened in every other sport in the world and even those sports that still have a cap it is so huge that clubs simply have to operate in their means and are simply destined to be lower clubs forever.
The cap will end up at a point where the TVrights won’t cover each clubs cap. Where will they find the money?
Player greed and want for higher and higher pay cannot be tamed as it kinda is now long term, it will naturally send some clubs to the wall unfortunately.
I am glad I won’t be around to see it.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's plain rubbish. In 2018 we averaged over 40k to our home games, when was the last time the Bulldogs did that?
I like all your posts Ascent. But figures between Melbourne teams, as you well know, are so skewed. Stadium size and fixture times and teams against, blockbuster time slots that are locked in each year cause big discrepancies in figures. And go no where near the real numbers. Melbourne probably do have more members and supporters than we do, not by much. But all groups of so-called smaller Vic clubs are extremely loyal through tough periods. These same fans also watch other teams games on tv because they are also loyal to the sport and have families and friends who support the other teams. This part of football culture in Victoria is hardly ever mentioned by supporters outside of Victoria who don’t get our winter obsession in its totality.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I like all your posts Ascent. But figures between Melbourne teams, as you well know, are so skewed. Stadium size and fixture times and teams against, blockbuster time slots that are locked in each year cause big discrepancies in figures. And go no where near the real numbers. Melbourne probably do have more members and supporters than we do, not by much. But all groups of so-called smaller Vic clubs are extremely loyal through tough periods. These same fans also watch other teams games on tv because they are also loyal to the sport and have families and friends who support the other teams. This part of football culture in Victoria is hardly ever mentioned by supporters outside of Victoria who don’t get our winter obsession in its totality.

Yep agree with all that. That wasn't meant to be having a crack at the Dogs, just showing imbecilic Papa G's posting was.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I keep banging on about fairness and many correctly counter that revenue will decrease, supporters will be lost and TV deal demands 22 rounds of 9 games.

This is the counter revenue narrative. That economic issues lead to reduced consumer demand. This combined with a less financial AFL may mean they are unable to support assisted clubs.

The unassisted clubs (Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs, West Coast and Adelaide) should be fine and I’m sure the WAFC will sort Fremantle.

What about the rest. They need subsidy as part of their revenue. If they have pokies they will suffer reduced revenue from them as well.

Then where do we go. Market forces will dictate hard decisions. I just hope they don’t hold the unassisted clubs back by reducing spending. This league needs to be the best it can.

This I see as the counter economic argument to maintaining all clubs for revenue reasons. The broadcast deal will also change due to financial pressures on broadcasters.

Melbourne is an unassisted club.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I would prefer to let natural attrition do it’s thing over the next 2-5 decades. I would not be around in 50 years but I cantseethere being any chance at all of their being 18 clubs in the AFL.
Player greed and want for more and more money will eventually reach a tipping point where the big clubs will support that greed and things like the salary cap will be done with. It is happened in every other sport in the world and even those sports that still have a cap it is so huge that clubs simply have to operate in their means and are simply destined to be lower clubs forever.
The cap will end up at a point where the TVrights won’t cover each clubs cap. Where will they find the money?
Player greed and want for higher and higher pay cannot be tamed as it kinda is now long term, it will naturally send some clubs to the wall unfortunately.

Natural attrition or for want of a better term, insolvency is the only way that these a**holes will get what they want.

As for the rest of your post, HQ will be determined to keep equalisation at a premium. As much as some will point out the inequities of our comp, it is very equalised compared to other leagues around the world. EPL for example does not have a salary cap and that affords clubs like Man u an advantage over the smaller clubs in the EPL and its relegation divisions.

IF we don't have eq measures then eventually fans of those smaller clubs will lose any hope and therefore will lose interest and forego any investment, there go your TV rights (or a big chunk of them).

I don't see salary cap and eq measures being phased out because that will diminish the public interest in the product in the first place. All the three top comps did not have cap measures before the VFL expansion - we're not returning there.

In part that is the reason no party has put forward a proposal (in recent times) of a merger / fold / relocation, because the leagues members and the league know it will do harm to the industry as a whole. Loss of too much paying fan base, as small is it may seem to some.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Natural attrition or for want of a better term, insolvency is the only way that these a**holes will get what they want.

As for the rest of your post, HQ will be determined to keep equalisation at a premium. As much as some will point out the inequities of our comp, it is very equalised compared to other leagues around the world. EPL for example does not have a salary cap and that affords clubs like Man u an advantage over the smaller clubs in the EPL and its relegation divisions.

IF we don't have eq measures then eventually fans of those smaller clubs will lose any hope and therefore will lose interest and forego any investment, there go your TV rights (or a big chunk of them).

I don't see salary cap and eq measures being phased out because that will diminish the public interest in the product in the first place. All the three top comps did not have cap measures before the VFL expansion - we're not returning there.

In part that is the reason no party has put forward a proposal (in recent times) of a merger / fold / relocation, because the leagues members and the league know it will do harm to the industry as a whole. Loss of too much paying fan base, as small is it may seem to some.

Players are not going to care, they will just want what they think they are worth and that will be it. Players are not going to care about clubs, they don't now.
They grow up supporting a club and bingo they get drafted and have to play for someone else. Loyalty would be low on players thoughts when their own loyalty was crushed as a young draftee.

Look we don't have to agree of course but I think money will really hurt our game long term, less players in the pie means more for the ones that are still in it and thats how I think it will unfold over time. That will simply mean less clubs.
It's not what I want, it's what I think is inevitable and in my opinion there is not a thing that can be done to stop it happening.
Like I said I am happy I won't be around to see it, although it may start to happen sooner than i think.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Players are not going to care, they will just want what they think they are worth and that will be it. Players are not going to care about clubs, they don't now.
They grow up supporting a club and bingo they get drafted and have to play for someone else. Loyalty would be low on players thoughts when their own loyalty was crushed as a young draftee.

Look we don't have to agree of course but I think money will really hurt our game long term, less players in the pie means more for the ones that are still in it and thats how I think it will unfold over time. That will simply mean less clubs.
It's not what I want, it's what I think is inevitable and in my opinion there is not a thing that can be done to stop it happening.
Like I said I am happy I won't be around to see it, although it may start to happen sooner than i think.
This is actually a good point.

If we get rid of clubs, the players association will most likely ask for more money for players, as there will be more in the pie.

Unless of course the AFL lose money by axing clubs.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Right now they're not the market, so long as things are eq as possible and therefore fans of the smaller clubs have hope, the product will retain that fan base.

What you're talking about - now - IS indirectly dictated by market, whether your assumption comes to pass a long time in the future is yet to be seen. Hard to say.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. This is an independent, strategic analysis of the NMFC, written in May 2014.

It should be noted that, since 2014, NMFC's position (& that of all smaller Clubs) has been strengthened by the AFL adopting Club Equalisation policies (mainly capping also Club Football Dept. etc. spending)...AKA hope springs eternal.

And in 2020, Club Lists & Football Dept. spending has been further slashed for all Clubs, which also makes the smaller Clubs more secure & competitive.

The AFL has also, since 2014, accepted the "Any Given Day" strategy (from the NFL)- ie if fans have a reasonable expectation that their team is usually at least very competitive, & can sometimes win (even occasionally against the top 4 teams), the whole AFL & its clubs are much better off, due to:-

. higher average weekly crowds

. higher broadcast ratings, due to more interest (for longer in the season, & for more clubs) in a fairly even comp.

. higher Rights' $ for the AFL, due to these higher ratings.

. higher advertising revenues for broadcasters, due to these higher ratings.

. more fan enthusiasm & interest in the AFL will cause more MSM interest & coverage. This is "a virtuous loop", which further raises the profile of the AFL, & indirectly produces greater GR participant nos.

2. Furthermore, since 2014

. The new South Yarra (at Domain)-CBD-Parkville-Nth Melb. underground rail lines are currently being built, with Arden Station (very close to Arden St oval) one of the biggest new underground stations. Total cost $12b., completion 2024.

. The $7b (in 2020 $) inner nthn. Arden Project has been announced, to be built periodically over c. 30 years- reclaiming redundant industrial/warehousing/railways land, c. 1.7 kms from the CBD.

This, along with Arden underground Station, will cause a major boost in residential & commercial activity in the inner north. The Arden Project alone will create 34k extra permanent new jobs, & 15K extra residents. NMFC will derive many benefits.

. The huge Fishermans Bend Project ("Australia's largest urban renewal project") is reclaiming redundant industrial land (mainly in the Plummer St district, closer to the CBD).

It will deliver vast medium to high rise residential & commercial developments- spending tens of billions (2020 $). An extra 80k residents, & extra 80k new jobs, finishing in c. 30 years.
This will also assist NMFC, even though Ardent St is a few kms away from Fishermans Bend (between Port Melb. & Sth Melb.).

. The State Govt. (spending $225m) & AFL have recently announced that Marvel will be upgraded to a 365 day pa, 7 days a week, day & night major entertainment venue/precinct. There will be restaurants, night clubs, roof top bars overlooking Victoria Harbour, a convention room, plaza, night market etc.- even Marvel's oval will be offered, with temporary marquees erected.

Given DS very close proximity, c. 2 kms, to the Arden commercial & residential redevelopment, Arden St oval, & the inner north, NMFC will derive many benefits.

These are the plans, with "photos" of the DS vast (mainly harbour side) changes.

Currently, the world's most profitable 365 day pa, 7 days pw, Stadium cum Entertainment Centre is Soldiers Field Stadium, Chicago.
The Vic. govt. hopes DS will challenge Soldiers Field status as the best 365 day pa Stadium cum Entertainment Centre in the world, once DS finishes, c.2023.

These are the entertainment facilities (with actual photos) that Soldiers Field offer, 365 days pa.

. NMFC have also announced plans for building the biggest & best inner city training & community centre at their Arden St HQ.

3. From 2000-2019, the western & nthn. suburbs of Melb. have had Australia's highest population growth rates.
The ABS in 2019 estimated that, in 2050, Melb. will have a population c. 9m (but, post covid, it is very likely the next estimate will be lower).

This very strong pop. growth, together with the above developments, will certainly assist NMFC in its long term future in the AFL.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That argument has been done to death. The AFL accept our history/ premierships.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
...as premierships from a different and what most people would say is inferior league to the vfl.

Which is fine. It is what it is.

And FWIW i have alot of respect for their history and the jumper. Your club should be allowed to wear the prison bars IMHO.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

Nah if anything there will be more clubs in 50 years. Tas, Canberra etc and even regional NSW, Darwin and FNQ. Hell I'd bet there will even be a NZ team before we have a reduction in clubs.

Plenty of leagues still have a salary cap, mainly the North American leagues. Soccer is the only major sport that doesn't have one and that's because there is worldwide competition for players. Salaries in the NFL/NBA are huge but they are tied to tv rights. NFL earns about $4 billion a season from tv rights, hell they earn $1 billion a season just from ESPN for Monday Night Football (16 games)!

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
For me i like the idea of a fresh tassie and canberra team. My reservations are though, with so many teams there will always be a bunch that are perennially stuck at the bottom with no chance of winning a flag for 50 years. The more teams the harder it is to win flags and this can be bad for losing fans.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. This is an independent, strategic analysis of the NMFC, written in May 2014.

It should be noted that, since 2014, NMFC's position (& that of all smaller Clubs) has been strengthened by the AFL adopting Club Equalisation policies (mainly capping also Club Football Dept. etc. spending).

And in 2020, Club Lists & Football Dept. spending has been further slashed for all Clubs, which also makes the smaller Clubs more secure & competitive.

The AFL has also, since 2014, accepted the "Any Given Day" strategy (from the NFL)- ie if fans have a reasonable expectation that their team is usually competitive, & can sometimes win, even against teams at the top of the ladder, the whole AFL & its clubs are much better off, due to:-

. higher average weekly crowds

. higher broadcast ratings, due to more interest in a fairly even comp.

. higher Rights' $ for the AFL, due to these higher ratings.

. higher advertising revenues for broadcasters, due to these higher ratings.

. more fan enthusiasm & interest in the AFL will cause more MSM interest & coverage. This is "a virtuous loop", which further raises the profile of the AFL, & indirectly produces greater GR participant nos.

2. Furthermore, since 2014

. The new South Yarra-CBD-Nth Melb.-Flemington underground rail lines are currently being built, with Arden Station (very close to Arden St oval) one of the biggest new stations. Total cost $11b., completion 2024.

. The $7b (in 2020 $) inner nthn. Arden Project has been announced, to be built periodically over c. 30 years- reclaiming redundant industrial/warehousing/railways land.

This, along with Arden underground Station, will cause a major boost in residential & commercial activity in the inner north. The Arden Project alone will create 34k extra permanent new jobs, & 15K extra residents. NMFC will derive many benefits.

. The huge Fishermens Bend Project ("Australia's largest urban renewal project") is reclaiming redundant industrial land (mainly in the Plummer St district, closer to the CBD).

It will deliver vast medium to high rise residential & commercial developments- spending tens of billions in 2020 $. An extra 80k residents, & 80k extra new jobs, finishing in c. 30 years.
This will also assist NMFC, even though Ardent St is a few kms away from Fishermens Bend (between Port Melb. & Sth Melb.).

. The State Govt. (spending $225m) & AFL have recently announced that Marvel will be upgraded to a 365 day pa, 7 days a week, day & night major entertainment venue/precinct. There will be restaurants, night clubs, roof top bars overlooking Victoria Harbour, a convention room, plaza, night market etc.- even the oval will be offered, with temporary marquees erected.

Given DS very close proximity, c. 2 kms, to the Arden commercial & residential development, Arden, the inner north, & NMFC will derive many benefits.

These are the plans, with "photos" of the DS vast changes.

Currently, the world's most profitable 365 day pa, 7 days pw, stadium cum Entertainment Centre is Soldiers Field Stadium, Chicago.
The Vic. govt plans to usurp its status as the best in the world, once the DS 365 day pa Stadium cum Entertainment Centre redevelopment finishes, c.2023.

These are the entertainment facilities (with actual photos) that Soldiers Field offer, 365 days pa.

. NMFC have also announced plans for building the biggest & best inner city training & community centre at their Arden St HQ.

3. Since 2000, the western & nthn. suburbs of Melb. have had Australia's highest population growth rates.
The ABS in 2019 estimated that, in 2050, Melb. will have a population c. 9m (but it is very likely the next estimate will be lower).

This very strong pop. growth, together with the above developments, will certainly assist NMFC in its long term future in the AFL.

Just shows how beholden the AFL is to the Victorian State Government. The corruption of the league is mind blowing.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Nah if anything there will be more clubs in 50 years. Tas, Canberra etc and even regional NSW, Darwin and FNQ. Hell I'd bet there will even be a NZ team before we have a reduction in clubs.

Plenty of leagues still have a salary cap, mainly the North American leagues. Soccer is the only major sport that doesn't have one and that's because there is worldwide competition for players. Salaries in the NFL/NBA are huge but they are tied to tv rights. NFL earns about $4 billion a season from tv rights, hell they earn $1 billion a season just from ESPN for Monday Night Football (16 games)!

We can settle the bet outside the Pearly gates...

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Footy Almanac's S. Steele ("50 years a a Richmond supporter") in 2010 detailed the 7 major issues he believed would confront the AFL in 2020.
On 27.11.20, he re-examined these issues- & again gave his views on the most important challenges to the AFL, to 2030.

The 7 issues he nominated, & thoughtful analysis of them, are still very relevant to the future of the AFL in general, & for GR AF in particular.

2. I will make my own prediction on what will be very close to the top of the List of the Scope of the Review (Scope not yet announced).

The independent Review team will consider, & make its own judgement (which will not be binding on the AFL Commission), on the merits of Tasmanian govt.'s very detailed (261 pages) 19th Club Bid documentation. This will take some of the "politics/heat" out of this crucial decision.

The Tas. Bid team has made many economic forecasts on:-

. the value to Tasmania ($110m+ net pa of football tourism from the mainland, to attend the 11 home games.

. how many permanent jobs (360+) will be created if Tasmania becomes the 19th Club.

. the various types- & quantum- of national & local Tasmanian direct private sponsorship for the Tas. 19th Club.
(The Tas. govt. has also promised direct, permanent funding to the Club, between $7.3- $11m pa).

. the added value to the broadcast Rights ($19m pa), as a 19th Club creates 11 extra H & A games pa (198- 209 pa).

And, possibly (ie not advocated by the Bid) having extra Finals if the AFL adopts a Final 9 (which adds more interest to the H & A season, for longer in the season, for more Clubs & more fans. This would achieve bigger crowds/more $, higher ratings, more $ for the Rights, & more MSM interest- for longer- in a more tightly contested Finals' race.

The Tas. Bid team also had its own economic modelling & forecasts checked by outside independent expert economists- who, generally, confirmed the Bid's economic forecasts.
This was a wise approach, as it makes it much more difficult for the AFL to reject the Bid's very strong economic arguments.

The Gemba Sports Group also advised on how many members the Tas. 19th Club would likely attract (The State & Fed. govts. have indicated they will fund, & increase, the capacity of both York Park (probably 30k) & Bellerive.

The Tas. Bid also outlines the incontrovertible major boost to Tas. demoralised GR that would be achieved if Tas. had its own team- tribalism, local expert pathways & local role models.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Roy Morgan hey? The mob that brings us such gems as Geelong supporters are 34% more like to own a pair of Moccasins? I'll go with what I can see.
Always find North's numbers completely astounding. They claim to have 42,000 members, but never really get more than 20,000 of their own supporters to games. They claim to make profits. How? They get the least people to games of any of the established clubs, they have no outside business interests (pokies, Gyms whatever), outside of hood winking the Tasmanian's out of a few Bob, I have no idea how this is possible?

It must make you miserable to advocate the death of a club so vehemently for over a decade and to never see your dream come to fruition.

And even have your club president come out publicly and argue against your sad vision.

Maybe take a break and go to a pound and watch them put down puppies to get your kicks.

Sad little person.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Australian M. Warner 6.1.21

Warner said:-

. "Pridham has secured growing support for a sweeping assessment which...could dramatically overhaul...the shamefully neglected grassroots game...".

(Given the VFL/AFL's disgraceful neglect of Tas. GR & plundering/mismanagement of its elite comps., this bodes well for the chances for a Tas. 19th Club)

. majority of Clubs want an independent Review, but AFL HQ wants only an internal review.

. "Barely a dent" has been made into the AFL's $600m line of credit.

. Clubs believe cost cutting was "too generous to the players, & too savage on the Clubs".

. Re the new $946m Rights' deal 2023-24, "...it is the carve-up of the cash where the fight now lies".

. AFL's "...executive team of about dozen...[were] on an average earnings of $880k in 2019...".
"Inclusion & Social Diversity executive T. Hosch...appears to have stared down those seeking to remove her...".

Clubs are unhappy only minimal cuts'- c. 20%- in AFL executive nos., & wages, have been made.

. "Some Club bosses remain disillusioned by the performance of AFLC Chairman R. Goyder...".

. "J. Kennett has been a long term advocate of AFL transparency... [he] wants to oversee significant AFL reform...".

. "An independent Review is inevitable (words in brackets, & emphases are mine)".

If link remains behind a paywall, it can be opened by googling "Calls for independent review of AFL M. Warner The Australian"

Last edited:
Back