7's score graphic

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why they insist on doing it this way. Pointless, and there is too much black space.

On Friday they had.
Hawthorn___________107
West Coast Eagles____93

*___ represents black space
Now, for starters, do they really need to have the Eagles nick name in there? Wouldn't West Coast be sufficient?

And why not have the entire score?
Make it something like:
HWTN 10.10:70
WCE 9.5:59

Thoughts?

Not sure why they insist on doing it this way. Pointless, and there is too much black space.

On Friday they had.
Hawthorn___________107
West Coast Eagles____93

*___ represents black space
Now, for starters, do they really need to have the Eagles nick name in there? Wouldn't West Coast be sufficient?

And why not have the entire score?
Make it something like:
HWTN 10.10:70
WCE 9.5:59

Thoughts?

In regards to your first question, when Channel 7 use the longer names like "West Coast Eagles" or "Geelong Cats," it's because that's what the clubs wish to be referred to as. Most clubs just go by the shorter "Fremantle" or "Hawthorn," though. It's the same on the AFL website.

As for your second question, I guess showing the full score would be just as "pointless" as showing the full names, and then there'd be too much red space in addition to all the black.

Finally, your third question: 7's score graphics seem fine to me. If it was my call, the only change I might make would be abbreviating the names to "HAW" and "WCE." I don't think having the full score, or the addition of club-coloured score panels and/or logos would really enhance the average viewing experience.

As for your second question, I guess showing the full score would be just as "pointless" as showing the full names, and then there'd be too much red space in addition to all the black.

Why would it pointless? Isn't accuracy something that interests you?

Why would it pointless? Isn't accuracy something that interests you?
Observe my quotation marks--I don't think it would be pointless per se, but there is a contradiction behind the reasoning of Adz' suggestion to shorten the club names while lengthening the score display.

Sure I'm interested in getting things right, but I think you're confusing accuracy with information surplus.

Anyway, this topic has probably been done to death on this board via countless threads, and on the FGD board too. Check 'em out, I say.

They use the trading names, but the one that sticks out is that they list Adelaide as "Adelaide Crows"

I thought they just went by "Adelaide"...?

We've been "Adelaide Crows" for a couple of years now... I think since the logo change. Its mostly just on the fixtures that you see it. I think it is really inconsistent, and while I can put up with it on the fixture cards, I think it really doesn't work on the on-screen graphics - especially in the OPs example where one team has a full name and one doesn't.

FWIW, the teams which include nicknames are:

Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Lions
Geelong Cats
Gold Coast Suns
GWS Giants
Sydney Swans
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs

Thats almost half the competition. The only two I would accept are the dogs because you can't just have "Western" and Brisbane in order to acknowledge both sides of the merger.

Interestingly, in round 3 channel seven just had "Gold Coast" on the graphic for the saturday night game against Essendon. I thought that they had come to their senses and tried to adopt a uniform approach, but to my dismay the next day we saw Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows. They have had the full "Gold Coast Suns" in all of their broadcast matches since.

Also of note, is that Fox don't seem to conform to the same standards. The weekends game just gone was "Adelaide v Gold Coast". I really would like to see channel seven reconsider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back