Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey's old man had great fitness and ability to tagged guns such as Peter Matera out shut them out of the game. Bailey seems to have the same strengths as he's old man. I remember a game in the 90's at princess park Robert Scott keeping Matera Under 10 possies and Pagan using him in this role for a period of time which he was great at.

Worked his arse off. There was a play in the last quarter where he was tracking the ball in space against 2 Brisbane players. Rich took possession and Bailey had to make up 10 metres chasing him around a shepherd. Rich was forced into a quick handball and then they retreated back 20 metres to set up but Bailey sprinted to pressure the ball again and forced them into an errant kick that got the turnover.

Dare say he’ll get a fair wrap when reviewing the tape this week.

It appears Noble giving young Scotty an assignment has been the perfect way to ensure he’s switched on and engaged for an entire game. He’s coming along in leaps and bounds since the change of role.

Keep it up Bailey.

Effort is great but needs to keep working on his craft. He had a few moments where he won hard-balls but didn't seem to know what he'd be doing with them.

Needs to have more strings than just being able to run for long

You would have delisted Wayne Carey after 4 games.

I'd be surprised if your long term strike rate was above 10%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to have more strings than just being able to run for long
I mean... he does? He bats above his league in the air and he has good goal sense and forward craft.

I wish he could both find and use the ball better, but he has a lot of good attributes and I think the last few weeks are proving one of the newly unearthed ones is the ability to very stringently play a defensive role.

I mean... he does? He bats above his league in the air and he has good goal sense and forward craft.

I wish he could both find and use the ball better, but he has a lot of good attributes and I think the last few weeks are proving one of the newly unearthed ones is the ability to very stringently play a defensive role.

He'll be a disposal machine in a few years time just like he was in the under 18's.

This "run with" stuff is just a part of his development.

He'll be a disposal machine in a few years time just like he was in the under 18's.

This "run with" stuff is just a part of his development.
I agree with this - he is a natural accumulator and what we are seeing this year is a masterstroke from the coaching group to give a kid who was lacking a bit of confidence a clear mission each week that is both benefiting the team and his development.

Stinks of what we did successfully with Benny Jacobs and this is just another example of a young player on a fantastic trajectory - he is still an absolute baby in football terms and trending perfectly. I think Bart Cummings said it best when he said that patience was the cheapest training aid but the least used.

I agree with this - he is a natural accumulator and what we are seeing this year is a masterstroke from the coaching group to give a kid who was lacking a bit of confidence a clear mission each week that is both benefiting the team and his development.

Go back to his under 2018 carnival games & note that 2018 is shaping as a very good draft class

vs WA

1624167144660.png

vs SA

1624167203761.png

vs Vic Metro

1624167257146.png

vs Vic Country

1624167361021.png

He should have been named in the U18 AA midfield, but check out who he shares spots with in the forward line:

1624167564854.png

Minus the kick outs Rich only had 10 possessions, the same as Scott. Bailey also had 5th most tackles for the night.

Rich had the least disposals, marks, and contested possessions of the year, while also having his equal most turnovers.

Seeing as it certainly looked like Scott was playing directly on Rich for much of the game, I'm not sure how it could be said he had a bad one. I'm going to try and remember to check the B&F votes for this match once the time comes.

Maybe his dropping is matchup related, maybe there was a key part of his role he ****ed up, or maybe it's something off field IDK. Doesn't entirely sit right either way, but whatever. Onwards and upwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back