Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

4th on the day for contested possessions for the side with 9.

Considering how soft Bailey is you would expect everyone else in the side to have 10+.

Is he injured? Either flat out gave up on a few today or they've accidentally put lead in his soles. If he can't go, give him a rest
Seems his endurance (his best asset) has gone backwards since coming to the club. It’s bizarre how often we manage to decrease ones natural ability once they arrive to the club.

Seems a player without pace. One bulldog’s goal tonight the ball fell out of a pack near the goal square. Bailey was in front of a group of players and within a few steps had been totally overrun, the dog’s player snapping the goal around the corner.
He should have been first to that ball.

There is no explosion or power in is his running. Yes he puts in the Ks moreso than many I acknowledge. There are games where you can say he’s dependable, again I give him that, but right now he’s a player IMO devoid of X-factor or even an identity.

From my seat, he was far from our worst and could more than keep up with the Dogs in transition/gut running. We had quite a few who couldn't which led to outnumbers all day.

Last week against Sydney he was 3rd with 15.1km covered on the ground. This week it appears he was 1st for distance covered although the values aren't shown.

He's also regularly in the top 5 fastest at around 34km/h for top speed and for total sprints.

Again, from my seat, he covered the ground far better than most of his team mates.

Seems his endurance (his best asset) has gone backwards since coming to the club. It’s bizarre how often we manage to decrease ones natural ability once they arrive to the club.
Omg you are kidding RF. He is consistently the top player for distance covered, repeat sprints and top speed. The bloke is running in molasses because he is working so hard he runs himself into the ground. If he had 21 others with his tank he may not be only one chasing ass. His endurance (his best asset) is absolutely elite and hands down the best at the club. I wonder why he didn't tag Smith, as he might have been the only one with the tank to go with him. But his fitness hasn't gone backwards my god

Is he injured? Either flat out gave up on a few today or they've accidentally put lead in his soles. If he can't go, give him a rest
I wouldn't be dropped the only player with an elite tank. He runs out of puff because he goes that bloody hard. It's obvious to see live. He runs and runs until he nearly doubles over. Give me that endeavour every week, don't punish him for it

Omg you are kidding RF. He is consistently the top player for distance covered, repeat sprints and top speed. The bloke is running in molasses because he is working so hard he runs himself into the ground. If he had 21 others with his tank he may not be only one chasing ass. His endurance (his best asset) is absolutely elite and hands down the best at the club. I wonder why he didn't tag Smith, as he might have been the only one with the tank to go with him. But his fitness hasn't gone backwards my god

Not kidding and I’m not faulting his effort or endeavour either. He is a go-er and I really like Bailey.

But go back and watch the way he covered the ground in his first half a dozen games. He covered the ground with ease and definitely had another gear to his speed. He didn’t look like he was running with concrete boots and He wasn’t blowing up anywhere near as much as what he is now, despite having big GPS numbers.

Maybe it’s game plan or maybe it’s his role but his run and carry was better earlier in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not kidding and I’m not faulting his effort or endeavour either. He is a go-er and I really like Bailey.

But go back and watch the way he covered the ground in his first half a dozen games. He covered the ground with ease and definitely had another gear to his speed. He didn’t look like he was running with concrete boots and He wasn’t blowing up anywhere near as much as what he is now, despite having big GPS numbers.

Maybe it’s game plan or maybe it’s his role but his run and carry was better earlier in his career.
Come on RF it's easy to free wheel in your 3rd game. Expectations are low. So yeah he looked like a great runner. But repeat sprinting to cover a man when we inevitably turn it over, or covering someone else's man because they aren't fit enough or too slow to react will blow any good tank up. He hasn't gone backwards, he is working harder than ever. He needs help from others. I remember him tagging Brad Hill last year to a stand still, one of the best if not the best runner in the comp. Has his fitness gone backwards in 6 months?

Seems a player without pace. One bulldog’s goal tonight the ball fell out of a pack near the goal square. Bailey was in front of a group of players and within a few steps had been totally overrun, the dog’s player snapping the goal around the corner.
He should have been first to that ball.

There is no explosion or power in is his running. Yes he puts in the Ks moreso than many I acknowledge. There are games where you can say he’s dependable, again I give him that, but right now he’s a player IMO devoid of X-factor or even an identity.
He’s just simply not a defender also

Him and Atu are witches hats back there

One of the few that tried to give us some drive off HB after Hall went down. His repeat efforts and contested work are improving week-to-week. Leave him in the same role for the next month or so.

One of the few that tried to give us some drive off HB after Hall went down. His repeat efforts and contested work are improving week-to-week. Leave him in the same role for the next month or so.
He’s actually a very smart footballer. I don’t know what it was like on tv but at the ground was one of our better defenders.

So much so none of our centre midfielders were in our best last night. In our top 6 even. He was pivotal.

He’s actually a very smart footballer. I don’t know what it was like on tv but at the ground was one of our better defenders.

So much so none of our centre midfielders were in our best last night. In our top 6 even. He was pivotal.

Live or on tv the reality is the same; Bailey went alright and is having a consistent year - with Hall out, we're going to need Bailey's R50 average of 4

That's good to read. He's also put some physicality into contests noticeably a couple of times recently. Not every player needs to be a bull.

I do think ideally though he puts on another few kg's over the next 12-18 months whilst retaining that running. His dad was a slight bloke too but was a hard little bugger and I reckon Bailey will need to find some steel in his game to be a long term option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back