Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

How many big **** Instagram photos has Bailey done Ferbs?
I don't do social media so I have no idea.

But being or not being on social media isn't the be all and end all of leadership.

Anyway, to be clear

A/ Bailey seems to have quality personal traits.

B/ It's way to early to be making captaincy calls.

C/ It may be that LMac lacked guidance and proper coaching. It may be too early to write him off as captain as well (I dunno if I can see it myself anyway but he may thrive under Shaw.)

In the training thread, when Val was describing Simpkin at training he was describing one of the aspects a on field leader needs. You have to know your goals and how to achieve them. In that specific case with Jy the goal is winning footy games and the way to achieve them in that moment is to set up properly from stoppages. Even, or especially at training.

Jy was also doing another thing on field leaders should do. Getting into everything and leading by example/doing.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't do social media so I have no idea.

But being or not being on social media isn't the be all and end all of leadership.

Anyway, to be clear

A/ Bailey seems to have quality personal traits.

B/ It's way to early to be making captaincy calls.

C/ It may be that LMac lacked guidance and proper coaching. It may be too early to write him off as captain as well (I dunno if I can see it myself anyway but he may thrive under Shaw.)

In the training thread, when Val was describing Simpkin at training he was describing one of the aspects a on field leader needs. You have to know your goals and how to achieve them. In that specific case with Jy the goal is winning footy games and the way to achieve them in that moment is to set up properly from stoppages. Even, or especially at training.

Jy was also doing another thing on field leaders should do. Getting into everything and leading by example/doing.
Jy is the next captain, I'm calling it now. Dumont is more of a bit-part player, EVW is always injured, Brown/LDU/Tarryn/Cunners aren't the right kind of personalities, and Bailey will still be too young when JZ hands it over. I can't see anyone else on our list currently who would demand it.

Jy is the next captain, I'm calling it now. Dumont is more of a bit-part player, EVW is always injured, Brown/LDU/Tarryn/Cunners aren't the right kind of personalities, and Bailey will still be too young when JZ hands it over. I can't see anyone else on our list currently who would demand it.
1 of Zurhaar/Jy
Not discounting Lmac yet either, vic metro and trinity skipper, over 100 games and only 24 but needs a good season

1 of Zurhaar/Jy
Not discounting Lmac yet either, vic metro and trinity skipper, over 100 games and only 24 but needs a good season
LMac needs 2 or 3 seasons at least as good as his 2017 in Syd terms. He needs to make statements early in finals and stand up when we need someone regularly.
He also needs to be seen to improve his game thru effort and application.

To be in the running.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hear you remfan.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The moment skinny Roos teenager knew he belonged

Father-son selection Bailey Scott is aiming to stack on the kilos as he builds towards a return to senior level

By Marc McGowan

1581627837071.png

THE CLOCK was ticking towards quarter-time of North Melbourne's pre-season opener against St Kilda last year when the Kangaroos realised they had a good'un. Jimmy Webster kicked the ball into space on the wing for Jack Newnes to run onto, with only a pesky teenager who was barely 70kg dripping wet to beat. Newnes gathered the Sherrin, then doubled back – barely inside the boundary line – to try to shake his opponent, an 18-year-old Bailey Scott. The problem was Scott didn't run past the contest, quickly changed direction, grabbed Newnes' jumper firstly with his left hand, then his right, and forced the Saint to handball in front of himself. Within three quick steps Scott was in front of Newnes, who lost his footing and watched as the rookie Roo scooped up the ball and drove it back inside his attacking 50. Here was some early, very impressive evidence of the benefits of having a former AFL footballer, Robert, as his father (Scott has inherited his dad's old No.8 for this season).They used to work religiously on his contest work, given he was always slight as he rose through the age groups.

Scott was just 68kg midway through last pre-season, 72kg by round one, and now he's almost 76kg, with the aim of tipping the scales at over 80kg in the next few years.

"I do remember that moment," Scott told AFL.com.au, with the slightest of grins, in a chat at Arden St, almost a year down the track. "It was a good moment for my confidence – one of the few from the pre-season, then the actual AFL season that I sort of hang onto – so I know when I get back there, to just back myself and play my role."

Then, barely three weeks later in round one, Scott was North's sole shining light in what proved the first stake in Brad Scott's coaching future in an 82-point defeat to Fremantle. Twenty-one disposals (at 90 per cent efficiency), eight marks and two goals were enough for him to also be awarded the year's first NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

Few would have predicted what would transpire from there.

Scott played only three more senior games – with a rest in between – before being dropped to the VFL, where he added six more until a broken left foot abruptly ended his first campaign. Not long beforehand, Brad Scott and the Roos mutually parted ways, paving the way for the Rhyce Shaw era. "It was a year of ups and downs. I experienced pretty much everything you can experience in an AFL career in one year, so it was interesting," the younger Scott said. "But I look back on it now and the important part I take out of it is I can play at the AFL level. I've had that opportunity and I didn't feel uncomfortable or out of place."

Scott had felt pain in his left foot for a few weeks but thought little of it, only that he must have been stomped on and it would go away.

The actual break happened when his left foot "kind of folded on itself" as he was tackled while attempting to kick on his right. "Because there was a weak spot on that outside, on the fifth metatarsal, where that stress fracture was, it snapped right through," Scott said. "I went into x-rays and found out I'd have to have surgery and that would be the fastest process back to being healthy, so I got a pin inserted from the top that pretty much runs all the way down the metatarsal. "Since then, it's just been a slow build in load … if I was a bit older, towards the end of my career, then that's something I could have pushed a bit more. "But being young, we just didn't want to take any risks, especially for me – running is one of my major assets and we just didn't want it to be affected."
Bailey-Scott-was-dropped-to-the-VFL-before-breaking-his-foot.JPG

Bailey Scott was dropped to the VFL before a broken foot prematurely ended his season. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Scott hadn't suffered a major injury before, but the likes of Will Walker, Ed Vickers-Willis, Kyron Hayden and Luke McDonald kept him company while completing their own rehab.

There was never any doubt he would tick every box in the recovery process, with club captain Jack Ziebell among the admirers of the way the wingman prepares. Shaw is raving about him this pre-season, too. "One thing dad says is, 'If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail'," Scott said. "I don't mind that saying, because it kind of says that preparation is the first point to setting you up for a good performance. "I just think that every day I'm in at the club, I have to put my best foot forward and work as hard as I can to get the most out of myself."

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Good to see my tweet :thumbsu:

Apologies GR, I deleted it when I cleaned up the format.

1581630259477.png

I was also about 50 meters away and witnessed it in person.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Comes from a North family, clearly capable of having a massive impact when the team as a whole is s**t, at a glance appears to have put serious offseason work into his body (dedication and discipline!). I can see it. But then again, I'm pretty generous when it comes to being open to seeing possible development of our players.

Nothing wrong with seeing "possible development", some on here see impossible player development.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good to hear that he has full confidence in the foot. They can be tricky to recover from as history has shown.

I have full confidence he is going to be a 200+ gamer for us. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he plays 20+ games this year.

To me he has that perfect balance of football IQ, athleticism,competitiveness, leadership and mongrel.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He will be consistently picking up Andrew Gaff type numbers in 5 years time.

He'll be a 750+ disposal a year player
Yep, has 200 game player about him too. And love the way he sticks a tackle. A real terrier in the 1-on-1s.

It's noticeable that he is well respected by his team-mates. He is constantly being fed the ball and with Polec's fitness in doubt, would be a likely starter on the wing against the Saints.

Back