Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Gut runs when our other mids just jog, how we hasn't spent the last 3 years developing on a wing I don't know.

Anyone who thinks he doesn't have a role at AFL level for us does not understand how a football team is structured, simple as that.
In fairness in the last few years he had received opportunities on the wing and was struggling to make an impact.

The move down back earlier in the season has been massive for his confidence which is benefitting him now in his move back onto a wing.

Is he going to be a star? No. Does he need to improve? Yes. Should we delist him? Absolutely not. He is the type of player we should be persisting with, and hopefully as we draft/trade more talent will either get better or play more VFL. Take a look at the Sydney VFL team. Plenty of limited guys who are borderline good enough for AFL, but provide great depth for Sydney when they are needed. Clarke (played seniors), Mclean, Melican, Amarty, Sinclair and a bunch of others that I can't remember.

If you turf out any player who doesn't have the potential to be elite, you will never build a list good enough to compete at the top, unless you never get any injuries. Doesn't need to be a world beater, just do his job, whether that's in the AFL or the VFL will be dependant on the talent of players we bring in over the next couple of years.

Works hard, very loose with disposal at times. Remains to be seen whether the issue is our structure or him IMO. Jury out.

Is he going to be a star? No. Does he need to improve? Yes. Should we delist him? Absolutely not. He is the type of player we should be persisting with, and hopefully as we draft/trade more talent will either get better or play more VFL. Take a look at the Sydney VFL team. Plenty of limited guys who are borderline good enough for AFL, but provide great depth for Sydney when they are needed. Clarke (played seniors), Mclean, Melican, Amarty, Sinclair and a bunch of others that I can't remember.

If you turf out any player who doesn't have the potential to be elite, you will never build a list good enough to compete at the top, unless you never get any injuries. Doesn't need to be a world beater, just do his job, whether that's in the AFL or the VFL will be dependant on the talent of players we bring in over the next couple of years.

Agree. He's a keep for now for those reasons - at the right price. He's also squarely in the category of entertaining a trade if someone came with the right price in mind IMO.

Stephenson might take the cake in this regard
Is this a joke? Of all Stephenson's faults on field - of which there are quite a few - he is a mile ahead of Bailey Scott when it comes to disposal, both creativity and reliability. One stupid miskick and everyone goes crazy. Bailey Scott regularly misses players standing close enough to breathe on and he needs to sharpen it up otherwise all the running ability in the world won't stop him running out of chances at this club.

He really needs to impact more. He does a lot, a lot of nothing. He gives the ball away far too easily.

Sure everyone loves him as he "runs hard" , that's admirable, but more to AFL footy than that.

He will stay and I want him too as we need run and carry - but I cant see a good footballer in him like others do.

His Dad was pretty ordinary tbh and I reckon Bailey will not be any better.

Quote me in 5 years if he is a Schwass/star type star by all means.

Last edited:
He runs hard and earns each kick. His disposal certainly isn’t great but his running and follow up is what he does best. Biggest improver on our list this year.

Is this a joke? Of all Stephenson's faults on field - of which there are quite a few - he is a mile ahead of Bailey Scott when it comes to disposal, both creativity and reliability. One stupid miskick and everyone goes crazy. Bailey Scott regularly misses players standing close enough to breathe on and he needs to sharpen it up otherwise all the running ability in the world won't stop him running out of chances at this club.
tZ's point was "take care with the ball in hand". Clearly yesterday that was the one thing Sleevo failed to do. For Bailey's limitations at least he doesn't drop his head after a mistake.

He really needs to impact more. He does a lot, a lot of nothing. He gives the ball away far too easily.

Sure everyone loves him as he "runs hard" , that's admirable, but more to AFL footy than that.

He will stay and I want him too as we need run and carry - but I cant see a good footballer in him like others do.

His Dad was pretty ordinary tbh and I reckon Bailey will not be any better.

Quote me in 5 years if he is a Schwass/star type star by all means.

doesn't need to be a Schwass type star to be a hard working and valued shinboner.

we are never going to have 22 players who are all in the top 1% of footballers.

Scott currently well deserved of his spot in the 22

doesn't need to be a Schwass type star to be a hard working and valued shinboner.

we are never going to have 22 players who are all in the top 1% of footballers.

Scott currently well deserved of his spot in the 22

I didn't say he had to.

But I think he is a little overrated on here that's all. He is a limited player imo. (as his Dad was - let's not pretend, he was very ordinary)

Deserved 22 as we are shithouse, I doubt he is best 22 in better teams. I doubt he makes Swans best 22. (he isn't alone there btw)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say he had to.

But I think he is a little overrated on here that's all. He is a limited player imo. (as his Dad was - let's not pretend, he was very ordinary)

Deserved 22 as we are shithouse, I doubt he is best 22 in better teams. I doubt he makes Swans best 22. (he isn't alone there btw)
who is overrating him - and what constitutes overrating?

wtf does his dad got to do with him as a player?

who is overrating him - and what constitutes overrating?

wtf does his dad got to do with him as a player?

I'm not in the mood for arguments just read back in thread and see how highly people rate him.

If you do, great. I hope he improves too. We need it! Certainly gives it all as he isn't blessed with talent.

I mentioned his Dad as people say so lucky we got father son, to me I found baffling as Robert Scott was an ordinary footballer.

I'm not in the mood for arguments just read back in thread and see how highly people rate him.

If you do, great. I hope he improves too.

I mentioned his Dad as people say we were lucky we got father son, to me I found that baffling as Robert Scott was a very ordinary footballer.
not sure anyone puts him in our top 10 footballers and if only if they are would I consider him being overrated.

Not sure what the issue with getting him as a as a father son is?

not sure anyone puts him in our top 10 footballers and if only if they are would I consider him being overrated.

Not sure what the issue with getting him as a as a father son is?

No issue and I think its great he chose us.

I just don't think he is that great, he has time to improve.

Well done Bailey, officially our only player in the best 22 under 22 squad.

the Ziebull

He does need to take more care with ball in hand, but this is a very good effort by him and great recognition for an excellent season which saw him improve across a number of very important metrics.

Well done Bailey, officially our only player in the best 22 under 22 squad.

the Ziebull

He does need to take more care with ball in hand, but this is a very good effort by him and great recognition for an excellent season which saw him improve across a number of very important metrics.
He was selected in a position that isn't even his strongest as well.

Needs to add at least 3-4kg to his frame so he can compete physically. Gets bumped off the line of the ball way too easily.

His ball use and decision making is a greater concern than his physique.

Nothing happens when he is involved, just meh possession after another, needs to become far more damaging if he can't compete physically.

Last edited:
goes to show whoever the person selected this has no idea

Probably just looked at disposal count and has never seen him play
I'd take their opinions over yours every day of the week.

For all of his flaws, and he does have a some, I think it is well deserved for a very solid season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back