AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs - Back against Sydney - 23/3

08 - hobbs.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 12, Schnitzengruben

Last edited by a moderator:
So, that news grab came from Dodo's "if we miss out on Sinn" category. The "if we miss out on Hobbs" category is categorically different.
*Categoically

Ben kicks in around the 15 minute mark.
26 minutes in he talks about how he hates to lose…think that’s what I’m most excited about with him. Hasn’t been enough of that type of attitude around the club for too long. Getting a few guys like that now (Redman, Perkins, Cox)

That’s great haha

2OLD 2SLOW

Senior List
Jun 13, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pardon the intrusion, but thought I'd share a quick cut up video of Hobbs in action for Country v Metro.
I made the vid as there was a chance he'd be picked by the Hawks at 7 (so how he made it to 13 I'll never know).

Seems like a Joel Selwood clone to me - perfect for your needs.
Look forward to seeing Ward v Hobbs for years to come.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
So we have 5 years of Hobbs on the wing, forward pocket and VFL? Goody gumdrops
And he has even less ability in these areas then what Parish did at the same time

I still think we can incorperate him into an onball position with an absolute best 22 next year. Minimal game time but hes not the elite of the elite tank wise anyway so a good starting point. Similar to Serongs first year of 14 games

He can either be the high half forward who attends stoppages in the front 50-60% of ground or be the forward who swaps with Stringer post CBA and plays as a pure onballer

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Pardon the intrusion, but thought I'd share a quick cut up video of Hobbs in action for Country v Metro.
I made the vid as there was a chance he'd be picked by the Hawks at 7 (so how he made it to 13 I'll never know).

Seems like a Joel Selwood clone to me - perfect for your needs.
Look forward to seeing Ward v Hobbs for years to come.

That last play sums up everything I like about him. Not only is he defensive, but he takes it upon himself to win the ball through repeat efforts and sticks tackles. He either wins the ball or forces a stoppage.

I am seeing a lot of talk about him being a "defensive" midfielder. Would seem to be some difference in the term defensive between what some see and how I see it. When I have watched him what I see is a blue collar inside player who is physical in his area and will tackle and make repeat efforts. He also works up and down he ground. Have never really seen him defend an area in particular in stages of a game or simply pick up a player off the ball. He makes contact at a stoppage but that is more to engage his direct opponent rather than blocking for another. He has the scope todo a lot of the defensive work but right now he is actually missing a few of the defensive aspects apart from the work rate. He is the blue collar at the coal face all day every day. He works both ways but it is more about being at the contest than defending. He also pressures pretty well which is one defensive aspect he has. He is the type of kid that would run with a player if you asked him to do so but he is also hard wired to attack the footy so instinct will take over at stages.
He certainly does fill the hard working no fuss midfielder I was hoping we would pick up at some stage.

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like a great pick. Even though our mid group is expanding some of our mids are better suited away from the coalface - imo merrett is more suited to be an outside mid and mcgrath may play more in the backline
Also he’s barely 18, might grow a bit more yet

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
When people say defensive midfielder i hope theyre talking 2 way running like an A.Mcgrath/Heppell

Not just tackling inside the contest

Plenty of heavy tacklers in the comp that dont know what defensive running is

He seems like a guy who hunts the ball and is a bird to a chip type midfielder

We have a very good defensive midfielder who i mentioned first above. Might be time to play him as one. Also demands the same from his team mates, thus the next captain

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
When people say defensive midfielder i hope theyre talking 2 way running like an A.Mcgrath/Heppell

Not just tackling inside the contest

Plenty of heavy tacklers in the comp that dont know what defensive running is

He seems like a guy who hunts the ball and is a bird to a chip type midfielder

We have a very good defensive midfielder who i mentioned first above. Might be time to play him as one. Also demands the same from his team mates, thus the next captain
Yep that's what I mean. Hobbs runs both ways.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Seems like the obvious and correct pick - can’t complain.

If he can develop quickly and handle a bash and crash inside mid role it will help us significantly.

Back