AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Since eDPS has abandoned us, I've searched his thread on the D&T board for his comments on Hobbs;
Sorry for the many quotes I would have gotten last night which I haven’t answered, I was a rather hectic night as you could understand 😂

I rated Hobbs at 5 on my draft board and like Dodoro I’m still a bit shocked he even made it to our pick. As those quotes have stated he is a real contested bull and will make sure we are never one of the bottom 4 contested sides in the league.

No concerns at all here about his tank or ability to cover the ground, whether that's getting from contest to contest or working forward and back as needed.

He clocked up 29 touches a game in the U18s coming off an ankle injury, and you don't get those numbers without being able to run. It's pushing Rowell/Walsh territory, as opposed to the 18-22 you get from guys big enough to dominate stoppages but with tank or workrate questions like Goater/Brodie/Constable/RCD etc.

Watch him in the Metro/Country challenge game and he's everywhere - 25 touches, 11 tackles and a goal in a well-beaten side, winning clearances in the middle, laying tackles in F50 and taking intercept marks in D50.

Last edited:
Sorry for the many quotes I would have gotten last night which I haven’t answered, I was a rather hectic night as you could understand 😂

I rated Hobbs at 5 on my draft board and like Dodoro I’m still a bit shocked he even made it to our pick. As those quotes have stated he is a real contested bull and will make sure we are never one of the bottom 4 contested sides in the league.

But how are we meant to feel?

Good to see Langford and Stringer in the frame to play more forward as the plan with playing Hobbs. Exactly what id do, rather than send Mcgrath back. That has to be option C or D

Hes a mix of Selwood, Boak, Adams

All our mids arent ruthless, hard edged in the face players like T.Adams with Shiel, Parish, Zerrett, Mcgrath (There all very nice guys), sure Hobbs is aswell but has more of the killer instinct white line fever it seems.

Good to see Langford and Stringer in the frame to play more forward as the plan with playing Hobbs. Exactly what id do, rather than send Mcgrath back. That has to be option C or D

Hes a mix of Selwood, Boak, Adams

All our mids arent ruthless, hard edged in the face players like T.Adams with Shiel, Parish, Zerrett, Mcgrath (There all very nice guys), sure Hobbs is aswell but has more of the killer instinct white line fever it seems.
I think his midfielder minutes will begin with swapping with stringer after centre bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be interested for someone knowledgeable about both to tell me how similar or different Hobbs is from Clayton Oliver. 🤔 I have a mental image of a rabid dog that seems to fit both descriptions…

I think he sounds a bit like Libba.

A bit like Oliver, a bit like Selwood, a bit like Libba, all sounding good to me whatever way I look at it.

I think his midfielder minutes will begin with swapping with stringer after centre bounces.
Yeh i agree

In reality i think we could be starting Hobbs/Mcgrath/Shiel, Caldwell and Langford all forward at the same time next year (with our best side)

And one of the Hobbs/Shiel/Mcgrath group swapping with Stringer as you said

I'm down with that.

Is the Rookie Me team back on tonight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back