AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t think Goblin had a 55 metre bomb in him, pleasantly surprised.

We’ve now got multiple half forwards who can bash and crash and eat the groundball for breakfast. Completely changes the look of the front half

I think Hobbs is building nicely to be honest. Expectations have kind of raced on a bit ahead of where he's at but he's still only just starting his 3rd year. Plenty of development of and improvement to come. The ongoing challenge for him is how can he be impactful when he doesn't get to spend too much time on ball at present..

I think Hobbs is building nicely to be honest. Expectations have kind of raced on a bit ahead of where he's at but he's still only just starting his 3rd year. Plenty of development of and improvement to come. The ongoing challenge for him is how can he be impactful when he doesn't get to spend too much time on ball at present..
Agree, he just needs a point of difference and when he bobs up for an overhead mark in the forward 50 and kicks a goal or two I think that’s something unique to him that’s different to the typical in and under mid

Setterfield is a better midfielder than Perkins (who is a forward IMO).
I love Setters, but disagree on this one. Setters is solid, but Perkins 💯 has played his better games as a mid. Whether it was a negating role (Cripps, Dawson) '23, or as a pure inside mid pre injury this year. Looks lost sometimes as a forward imo.

Watching the commentary around Hobbs reminds me of Parish really (not their style or play). We play a young kid outside their best position and outside their comfort zone and then wonder why it takes them a while to find their feet.

Hobbs is a natural footballer, inside midfield bull. Absolutely rate him and once he gets his chance, I suspect he will be very hard to move. Modern AFL requires you to run very deep in the midfield and also for midfielders to have 'another' role they can play.. that is what Hobbs is learning now.

The bit that makes me really confident is how much this kid cares about winning.. that 'grunt' player we have been looking for that has a little bit of a rougher edge. Not afraid to crack in and stir up trouble.. I'm sure that Hobbs is going to feature heavily if we are going to climb the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back